Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #1

2005 19' Safari
Meadow Vista , California
2005 Bambi Air Conditioner Replacement Wiring

I have a problem.

I just replaced the original, Dometic 13.5K Penguin DuoTherm air conditioner on my 2005 19' Bambi. The new unit is a Dometic 13.5K Penguin II w/Heat Pump.

The original wiring harness in the Bambi has 1 Brown/1 White/1 Blue/1 Blue with White Strip, plus the wire with the phone jack for the thermostat. (I've also installed a new CCC2 thermostat.)

The new, Penguin II has a wiring bundle that includes 1 Black/1 Red/2 Blue/2 Yellow wires, plus two, female phone jacks, and a White wire with a small connector.

My problem is I don't know which wire on the new Penguin II connects to which wire on the Bambi?

By the way, the Dometic instructions I've found so far are useless for this install, and Dometic has yet to respond to a many-days-old request for help.

Can anyone out there help?

Thanks very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Wiring.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	376968   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Penguin II Wiring.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	376969  

Rustpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I will talk about what you need for the new unit, but I am not clear what those four wires are for the old one. I will speculate, but so can you, so.....

So the New unit has two communications ports as you can see. Your old wiring has the phone communications wire. If it is wired correctly you can plug it into either port. The spare is to daisy chain multiple zones to the same CCC2. The thin 2 wire connector is for an optional inside remote temperature sensor. You will be using the one on the CCC2 I would guess, so leave that disconnected.

I will assume you have already wired 120 V (three wire, hot neutral ground) to the roof unit, and 12V 2 wire + and - to the roof unit. if not, perhaps two of the four wires are for the 12V.....

You also have two wires going to the furnace from the old system. It allows the CCC2 to turn on the furnace. Perhaps two of these four wires is for the furnace. the furnace wires connect to the roof unit control board also.

The remaining Wiring bundle is used for optional connections to alternate controllers and devices you don't have.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #3

2005 19' Safari
Meadow Vista , California
Many thanks, Brian. No, I haven't connected any wires yet. The wiring difference between the two units is pretty significant, and I don't want to connect anything until I've gotten step by step guidance (with crayon pictures if needed!) on which wire goes where.

I know this isn't rocket science, but it's not my background expertise.

Again, thanks very much for your rapid response!

Bill
Rustpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I thought I saw a do it yourself video that Dometic has a board that allows you to use your old wiring with the new unit. It allows you to keep the old CCC unit from that era.I just found the video.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #5
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I too have heard of an adapter to connect the two harnesses together. Call Airstrem, they probably do that mod several times a week.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote