Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 904
15K AC and Honda eu2000i

I have the older Honda eu200i and wondering if anyone has experience running a 15K AC unit fitted with a soft start kit on this generator? The genny ratings are 2,000 watts max and 1,600 watts continuous which is just shy of 14 amps at 115 volts and I see where the typical RLA on a 15K unit is 12.5-13 amps.
__________________

__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
jeffmc306's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 806
Blog Entries: 4
Hi Brian,

Great question! I thought I saw something on the Micro-Air site about RV AC draw and generator output. Check out this Support document - generator troubleshooting.

They also show how to measure the draw of your AC unit with a clamp-on amp meter to get an accurate number.

I understand the guys at Micro-Air are great to work with. You might give them a call; I'll bet they have experience with your generator.

Good luck!
Jeff
__________________

__________________
2019 27í Globetrotter FBT Walnut/Dublin Slate
2018 FC23FB
2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Laramie Blue Ox 1500#
WBCCI# 10258
April 3, 2020 Retirement Plan RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 904
Thanks for the link Jeff, I will have to look up the specs on the unit as I don't have it home yet. By the way I was born at the McHenry County Hospital in Woodstock, is it still there?
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,225
Images: 1
You can run a dometic 15k AC with honda eu2000 and easy start at elevations <5000 feet.

Running watts on the dometic on a hot day are about 1,700-1,800. Honda eu2000 on gas will produce 2,000w but you loose 3% output for every 1,000 feet above sea level.

Technically.... the honda is only rated for 1,600w continuous and 2000w for 30 minutes sustained.... but itís a little beast and will run continuously at max output.

Long term you do run the risk of damaging the coils due to sustained current/heat but if your not running it every single day of the year it will still last a long time before you have to replace the coil pack.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 904
Thanks, shouldn't need it too much once over 5,000 feet
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
jeffmc306's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 806
Blog Entries: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Thanks for the link Jeff, I will have to look up the specs on the unit as I don't have it home yet. By the way I was born at the McHenry County Hospital in Woodstock, is it still there?
Oh thatís too funny! Are you talking about the hospital on South Street in Woodstock, next to the High School? I had my tonsils removed from that hospital and my youngest son was born there. They closed that hospital years ago but the building is still there. I grew up in the old Pleasant Valley Schoolhouse - my folks bought it from a family that converted it to a private home.

Small world! Take care,
Jeff
__________________
2019 27í Globetrotter FBT Walnut/Dublin Slate
2018 FC23FB
2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Laramie Blue Ox 1500#
WBCCI# 10258
April 3, 2020 Retirement Plan RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,565
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Oh thatís too funny! Are you talking about the hospital on South Street in Woodstock, next to the High School? I had my tonsils removed from that hospital and my youngest son was born there. They closed that hospital years ago but the building is still there. I grew up in the old Pleasant Valley Schoolhouse - my folks bought it from a family that converted it to a private home.

Small world! Take care,
Jeff

Off topic, but what they hey! I live down in Oswego, but I just moved my son into an apartment in the converted Old Post Office (2nd Floor) in downtown Crystal Lake. I'm up in your area frequently....well, before covid.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Oh that’s too funny! Are you talking about the hospital on South Street in Woodstock, next to the High School? I had my tonsils removed from that hospital and my youngest son was born there. They closed that hospital years ago but the building is still there. I grew up in the old Pleasant Valley Schoolhouse - my folks bought it from a family that converted it to a private home.

Small world! Take care,
Jeff
Not sure, I went and took a look at it once, around 35 or 40 years ago, I just remember a wide stairway leading up to the front entrance.
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Off topic, but what they hey! I live down in Oswego, but I just moved my son into an apartment in the converted Old Post Office (2nd Floor) in downtown Crystal Lake. I'm up in your area frequently....well, before covid.
We lived in Crystal Lake, on Nash road across from the high school till about 1965, then we moved to Coventry. In 1970 my folks divorced and I ended up in Arizona with Mom.
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 904
across from the junior high
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member
 
abbotsford , British Columbia
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
it wont work. It will just barely work with a 13,500 BTU but even with that you have shut off everything else and also make sure your converter is not charging your battery.
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Land , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I have the older Honda eu200i and wondering if anyone has experience running a 15K AC unit fitted with a soft start kit on this generator? The genny ratings are 2,000 watts max and 1,600 watts continuous which is just shy of 14 amps at 115 volts and I see where the typical RLA on a 15K unit is 12.5-13 amps.
No problem I just completed the easy start install on my 15k and my eu2000i starts and runs the 15k with only a momentary drop in generator output voltage. You should have the same experience
us3rnam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar

 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,571
To complete the circle here, I had a Yamaha 2K when I installed the Easy Start. I was one of the early adopters and was frustrated since MicroAir has tested with the Honda , successfully. As a result, Matteo did some serious tests with numerous small generators and determined that despite the published ratings, the Honda 2K allowed the start and subsequent running of a 15K A/C. At the time, none of the others did. I sold my Yamaha, bought a converted Honda(propane) and it works just fine. Of course the newer 2.2k has a bit more margin.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by us3rnam3 View Post
No problem I just completed the easy start install on my 15k and my eu2000i starts and runs the 15k with only a momentary drop in generator output voltage. You should have the same experience
Thanks, do you use the Eco setting or leave it on high?
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
To complete the circle here, I had a Yamaha 2K when I installed the Easy Start. I was one of the early adopters and was frustrated since MicroAir has tested with the Honda , successfully. As a result, Matteo did some serious tests with numerous small generators and determined that despite the published ratings, the Honda 2K allowed the start and subsequent running of a 15K A/C. At the time, none of the others did. I sold my Yamaha, bought a converted Honda(propane) and it works just fine. Of course the newer 2.2k has a bit more margin.
Larry
I was looking at the new Yamaha ef2400ishc which was specifically designed for RV AC units but if I can use my existing Honda without risking damage to the AC unit I will
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
it wont work. It will just barely work with a 13,500 BTU but even with that you have shut off everything else and also make sure your converter is not charging your battery.
Did you actually try running a 15K with an Easystart? Do you have an Easystart on your 13.5K?
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar

 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I was looking at the new Yamaha ef2400ishc which was specifically designed for RV AC units but if I can use my existing Honda without risking damage to the AC unit I will
I do not think the Easy Start will let the voltage drag enough to damage your A/C, another advantage to using an Easy Start. If you can lift and afford a bigger generator, probably a good move since you still cannot run anything else on 120v with the small Honda and A/C on.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
 
chugchug's Avatar
 
2018 25' International
Belmont , California
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 122
Images: 5
I had your combination - 15k AC, Honda 2000 and Easy Start. It worked at sea level, but at altitude the Honda just couldn't keep up. Now I have the 3K Predator, it is less expensive than the Honda, quieter and has electric start. It runs the AC, charges the battery and the fridge all at the same time. The only downside is the weight.
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
sheriff1's Avatar
 
2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugchug View Post
I had your combination - 15k AC, Honda 2000 and Easy Start. It worked at sea level, but at altitude the Honda just couldn't keep up. Now I have the 3K Predator, it is less expensive than the Honda, quieter and has electric start. It runs the AC, charges the battery and the fridge all at the same time. The only downside is the weight.


And the noise...
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:31 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
And the noise...
I thought the Predator inverters were pretty quiet. How is it?
__________________

DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda EU2000I Generator and EU2000I Companion Mldun Airstream Classifieds 0 03-29-2018 10:51 AM
Portable Generator Sound Levels: One Honda EU2000i vs. Two Paralleled Honda EU2000i AndyPenny Generators & Solar Power 19 06-05-2017 03:04 PM
Honda Generators, EU2000i and Companion 2000i(4,000 watts) Support Admin Airstream Classifieds 0 09-20-2013 01:07 PM
15K BTU Brisk Air vs. 15K BTU Penguin adwriter73 Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 9 05-23-2011 10:32 AM
Selling Honda EU2000i and its companion... grimlock Our Community 0 09-11-2010 11:08 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.