Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
Venting New Microwave Convection oven

Our microwave/convection oven died. Covered under warranty. Airstream immediately sent a new one. It seemed simple to install. Just a few screws on the face plate (trim kit) and the unit slides out. It was just sitting on a shelf.

The model has changed from Sylvania to Sunbeam. They sent the new trim kit too. I have to drill new holes, but the face plate is larger, so the old holes are covered up.

My question... the old m/c oven was closed on the top. It had a thin vent on the top back. The new one has a large opening on the top. I can see parts. There are pre-drilled mounting holes, I assume for connecting another type of vent and directing it outside. I don't need to do this. It this thing okay to just slide in and hook up? The large opening stays as-is directly under the two burner propane stove?

I know I can email Airstream, but you folks are geniuses.

2008 Safari Sport 22'

Thanks!

Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MICRO_01.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	165856   Click image for larger version

Name:	MICRO_02.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	165857  

nesvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
USN Avionics Tech QA Insp

Vintage Kin Owner
Morristown (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area) , Tennessee
I prefer to vent my cooking odors outside. This also helps with the occasional burnt food smoke when one is sidetracked with a new adventure and forgets about something in the oven. It may be just me, but a TT is a small space to be full of smoke and smelly odors. Not to mention the time required to clean everything out and air the trailer soft surfaces.
LarryGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
If your present mc oven is not vented to the outside, then there is not going to be a vent in place to vent your new mc. I suspect AS will tell you just to install it as is. I agree. I don't think venting is really needed for a mc oven, even if it is a convection type. Venting is more for stuff that you burn on the stove. Granted, the TT space is small, but then you have all those windows to open up to take care of the problem.

Additionally, installing a vent is another opening in the roof for rain, hot air, cold air, etc. to get into the TT.

Just my .02.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I don't know yet how much trouble this is going to be...but... I'm concerned about the heat and smells from a convection microwave also, ...and since it's replacing a previous Unvented convection MW.... and since that previous installation is adjacent to the refrigerator (which has two louvered doors and an exhaust-fan to keep the reefer cooling...) ...I plan to use scat/sceet or some other ventilation hose to vent the MW compartment to the upper reefer exit louvered door.... and thusly to get MW vapors exited from the coach. :wink:
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
My convection micro died too. I got a replacement on sale from Camping World but needed to enlarge the opening by 1 1/2". There is more of a ventilation opening with the new one and it's working great.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Our 22FB Sport came with the Cuisinart microwave/convection oven. It is under the two burner stove, with a trim kit that has vents. When we use it in convection mode for any length of time, we will open the doors under the kitchen sink to allow some of the heat to dissipate. If we are really baking for a long time, we will even stick a small clip-on fan under there to help cool things down.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote