Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2024, 09:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Glen Allen , Virginia
Upgrade Stove/oven to Stove MW

I want to upgrade our stove/oven to a Stove/MW and would appreciate
any recommendations or lessons leaned.

We have 2007 25FB so our stove/oven unit is 21.5 " wide. I have not found
any of the combo stove/MW in 21.5" W. Is the solution an cook top and separate MW unit with an enclosure?

If you have experience with this or have done the upgrade, I would love
to hear from you and please include the model numbers of the units you used.

Thank you all for any assistance.

Bill
Richmond Va
dabhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:40 PM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If you're handy it should be pretty simple to install a shelf to mount a surface mount (drop in) stove and then the micro/convection under it using a mounting kit.

All depends on how much space is left after you remove the existing stove/oven combo.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:36 AM   #3
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
We’re in the exact opposite position, planning to convert our propane stove/electric convection microwave to a straight propane stove/oven.

Ours is a propane cooktop with the convection microwave boxed into cabinetry immediately under the cooktop. At first glance it appears like a single combined appliance, but they are separate.

This is on a 2017 19’ Flying Cloud. Not sure if the size is the same as used in the larger trailers, but I can get some measurements and photos if that’s any help.

We’re up in the NoVa/DC area. Not sure what your timeline is, but we’ll be looking to sell off our current barely-used appliances when we make the switch (probably sometime this year.)
Old 04-30-2024, 06:18 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeCamper View Post
We’re in the exact opposite position, planning to convert our propane stove/electric convection microwave to a straight propane stove/oven.

Ours is a propane cooktop with the convection microwave boxed into cabinetry immediately under the cooktop. At first glance it appears like a single combined appliance, but they are separate.

This is on a 2017 19’ Flying Cloud. Not sure if the size is the same as used in the larger trailers, but I can get some measurements and photos if that’s any help.

We’re up in the NoVa/DC area. Not sure what your timeline is, but we’ll be looking to sell off our current barely-used appliances when we make the switch (probably sometime this year.)

I just did this, of I should say the factory did it for me.

I had the Furion cooktop and convection microwave. I kept the convection microwave, but had the factory remove the cooktop and and install a full out Furion oven. We boondock a lot so although when we do have shore power the convection microwave is nice, I don't typically lug a generator around with me, so the conventional stove/oven combo was a must for us.

I have the Furion cooktop if anyone is interested, PM me.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:30 AM   #5
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfranklin View Post
I just did this, of I should say the factory did it for me.

I had the Furion cooktop and convection microwave. I kept the convection microwave, but had the factory remove the cooktop and and install a full out Furion oven. We boondock a lot so although when we do have shore power the convection microwave is nice, I don't typically lug a generator around with me, so the conventional stove/oven combo was a must for us.

I have the Furion cooktop if anyone is interested, PM me.
That is pretty much our use scenario too.

Can I ask, what did the factory charge for the conversion/installation?
Old 05-01-2024, 10:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Glen Allen , Virginia
This is very interesting

Our stove/oven is in nice shape, I doubt the oven has ever been used.
Please send me the Width & H of your stovetop/MW.
Is your stovetop/ MW is a single unit or two separate units.

My stovetop/oven is a single unit.

I live on the northside of Richmond.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:02 AM   #7
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabhunter View Post
This is very interesting

Our stove/oven is in nice shape, I doubt the oven has ever been used.
Please send me the Width & H of your stovetop/MW.
Is your stovetop/ MW is a single unit or two separate units.

My stovetop/oven is a single unit.

I live on the northside of Richmond.

Our propane stovetop and electric convection microwave are two separate units. I took some photos, but it is hard to capture the measurements. The stove top is 21” wide, the microwave is narrower but it has a “surround” trim that fills any gaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6545.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	443165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6546.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	443166  

Name:	IMG_6547.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	443167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6548.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	443168  

Old 05-02-2024, 05:08 AM   #8
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Here are more photos of the convection microwave:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6558.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	443169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6551.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	443170  

Name:	IMG_6556.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	443171  
Old 05-02-2024, 06:36 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
That is pretty much our use scenario too.

Can I ask, what did the factory charge for the conversion/installation?

I would have to double check, but I believe it was about $2300, which included the stove, labor and possibly the cabinetry that facilitated the oven (I believe they have two different cabinet part numbers, one for the oven, one for the cook top). Not inexpensive and half of me thought the dimensions are similar, what if I just get the oven, remove the cook top and sawzall the opening? All the electrical and LP gas tubing is already there. I just figured for the extra $1700, having the proper cabinet without collateral damage from the sawzall would be worth it and it was, you cannot tell that the oven was not an at the time of construction factory install.

Since we boondock equal to or more than we connect to hookups, the gas oven has been very handy. I also feel that the convection microwave is far better than the standard microwave the comes if you do get the oven installed at the time of construction. Having this setup, at least to me, gives me the option and the best of both worlds. Sadly, if my unit does get totaled, the deposit I have down on a new unit, also has the cook top.

I know, good first world problems to have, right?
Old 05-02-2024, 06:43 AM   #10
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfranklin View Post
I would have to double check, but I believe it was about $2300, which included the stove, labor and possibly the cabinetry that facilitated the oven (I believe they have two different cabinet part numbers, one for the oven, one for the cook top). Not inexpensive and half of me thought the dimensions are similar, what if I just get the oven, remove the cook top and sawzall the opening? All the electrical and LP gas tubing is already there. I just figured for the extra $1700, having the proper cabinet without collateral damage from the sawzall would be worth it and it was, you cannot tell that the oven was not an at the time of construction factory install.

Since we boondock equal to or more than we connect to hookups, the gas oven has been very handy. I also feel that the convection microwave is far better than the standard microwave the comes if you do get the oven installed at the time of construction. Having this setup, at least to me, gives me the option and the best of both worlds. Sadly, if my unit does get totaled, the deposit I have down on a new unit, also has the cook top.

I know, good first world problems to have, right?
Ouch! That is steeper $$$ than I expected. It looks like such an easy swap. I will likely end up doing it myself, then.

So are you saying that there is a stand-alone propane oven (without cooktop) that might fit in the space currently occupied by the convection microwave? Or did I misunderstand you?

And good luck with the on-going insurance claim.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Bill, I have a 2006 25FB and replaced my stove with one I found on RecPro for about $600. It is a standard stove oven which we prefer. I did the work myself and did run into a few issues you should be aware of.

If you are going to change to a microwave, you probably won't find an power behind/under your current stove. You will need to plan for that. Also mine was not an exact fit. The height of it was smaller so I had to install a spacer board at the bottom. The width was perfect but the depth of the new unit was smaller than the opening, by about a half an inch. The new stove, an imitation of the Furion, has flat aluminum trim on the sides but none at the back. I found matching flat aluminum trim on line and ordered one the same width as the sides and it looks original. Very happy with our new oven. I got really tired of lighting the oven pilot light every time we used it.

Also, the gas line on my old stove came in on the left whereas the new unit is on the right. I had to cut and re flare the pipe to move the input line where it needed to be. There is flexible gas line out there but I chose to just shorten the line. Best wishes.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:32 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
Ouch! That is steeper $$$ than I expected. It looks like such an easy swap. I will likely end up doing it myself, then.

So are you saying that there is a stand-alone propane oven (without cooktop) that might fit in the space currently occupied by the convection microwave? Or did I misunderstand you?

And good luck with the on-going insurance claim.
No, I got the standard oven/cooktop.

https://www.dyersonline.com/furrion-...lVX3Ei0VA0jZkE

I do really like it, for the 4x I've been able to use it since picking up the rig from JC last month. Besides it being relatively accurate for an RV oven, I really like there is an oven light inside!
Thanks, I'm hoping for a final, final verdict today or tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:35 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Not sure i would consider getting rid of your oven an “upgrade”.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:47 AM   #14
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Not sure i would consider getting rid of your oven an “upgrade”.
That seems to be a matter of personal preference. In our recent shopping experience, we found many trailers where owners proudly advertised that they had upgraded to the convection microwave option. To the point where propane ovens were quite scarce in the model years we were targeting.

We eventually “settled” for a trailer with the convection microwave, with the intent to swap it for a propane stove. But it seems the majority of owners/purchasers would prefer the microwave.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:13 PM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
That seems to be a matter of personal preference. In our recent shopping experience, we found many trailers where owners proudly advertised that they had upgraded to the convection microwave option. To the point where propane ovens were quite scarce in the model years we were targeting.

We eventually “settled” for a trailer with the convection microwave, with the intent to swap it for a propane stove. But it seems the majority of owners/purchasers would prefer the microwave.
yep-for sure.
Depends on how you camp.
90% of our camping is off grid. Anything using a lot of electricity is useless for us.
Not only that but fresh baked pies, pizza, cc cookies fresh out of the oven on a fall day-yum.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:12 PM   #16
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
yep-for sure.
Depends on how you camp.
90% of our camping is off grid. Anything using a lot of electricity is useless for us.
Not only that but fresh baked pies, pizza, cc cookies fresh out of the oven on a fall day-yum.
Definitely. Same here.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:45 PM   #17
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
yep-for sure.
Depends on how you camp.
I would agree with this as well. We often spend multiple dry camping nights in rest stops, Harvest Host sites, parking lots, ect. on the way to our final destination. Without the gas stove/oven we'd have to run the generator in all these locations to cook. Having the gas stove/oven combo makes it quite simple to prepare meals as we make our way across the country.

When we get to our full hook up campsite, we also have a microwave and plug-in induction cooktop for use when needed. They take up relatively little space and don't weigh much so we take them on every trip for convenience if we're using sites with hook ups.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:30 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Glen Allen , Virginia
Thank you all for your input on this stove/oven project. I
appreciate your experience and insight into your use cases
for the Gas oven vs MW.

I especially appreciate the warning that there may not be an
AC outlet for the MW.

Can someone give the brand & model #'s for the MW and the surround trim kit?

Thank you all again for your responses
Old 05-08-2024, 04:17 PM   #19
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabhunter View Post
Thank you all for your input on this stove/oven project. I
appreciate your experience and insight into your use cases
for the Gas oven vs MW.

I especially appreciate the warning that there may not be an
AC outlet for the MW.

Can someone give the brand & model #'s for the MW and the surround trim kit?

Thank you all again for your responses
Here are some photos showing make/model of our convection microwave. I could not see any model or part# for the surround.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6614.jpg
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	443324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6615.jpg
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	443325  

Name:	IMG_6616.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	443326  
Old 05-08-2024, 05:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Furion makes a propane cooktop that may drop in. Then you will have a cavity below that you can finish as you like and put the microwave of your choice in.

Thats what we did. My 2018 FC25 had an outlet behind even though the trailer didn’t have a microwave as built.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote