Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Stovetop Removal and Cleaning

Is there a way to remove the bifold stovetop on a Magic Chef stove/oven without dismantling the top of the stove. It looks like it should just lift off. This stove is our of our "78" Ambassador. Also, what have others used to clean the top...will eventually have it powder coated. Thanks much!

Bob

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1981 31' Excella II
longview , Texas
I have a '75 model with a Magic Chef. I removed the cover fairly easily. Take a flashlight and look down at the rear corner brackets, where it pivots. You will see a slot in the bracket where the pivot pin slides fore and aft. The bottom of this slot cut out so the bracket can be "lifted off the pivot pin". Lifted means you might have to put a screw driver under the bracket and pry it off the pin, especially if the bracket is somewhat bent which closes up the gap where the pin slips out. I actually took a pair of pliers and bent the bracket to open up the slot a little before I reinstalled the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stove bracket.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	117315  
AirDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Mine is stainless steel. It had quite a lot of surface rust. We used fine steel wool, and then good metal polish. It looks 110 times better now.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Magic Chef folding cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDD View Post
I have a '75 model with a Magic Chef. I removed the cover fairly easily. Take a flashlight and look down at the rear corner brackets, where it pivots. You will see a slot in the bracket where the pivot pin slides fore and aft. The bottom of this slot cut out so the bracket can be "lifted off the pivot pin". Lifted means you might have to put a screw driver under the bracket and pry it off the pin, especially if the bracket is somewhat bent which closes up the gap where the pin slips out. I actually took a pair of pliers and bent the bracket to open up the slot a little before I reinstalled the cover.
The slots cut in the bottom must have come along after 1968. I had the problem of screws being stripped out and was unable to get the lid off until I removed the whole range from the cabinet. I was going to do that anyway, so I guess I was not as creative as I could have been. I will certainly cut the grooves before I reinstall this week!

Thanks for the photo and sharing the experience of polishing.

Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Mine has slots also. It comes out and you will not have to take the stove apart. Mine was steel with rust. I recommend having it poweder coated. It will always look great.

Brian