Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
Stove burners refused to stay lit

Stove burners refused to stay lit. We have a 2016 Pendleton trailer. It has a stove top actually made in Italy. I believe it’s supplied by Atwood. The model number is CU434. It has three burners. I believe it’s used in a variety of other trailers. We are friends with a 30 foot trailer and they have the same stove top. From day one we’ve had trouble with the burners not staying on. Right rear one works reliably. The other two less so. We’ve been to the dealer where we bought the trailer without any success in resolving the problem. It sounds like a thermal couple problem to me. Although I’m hardly an expert in the subject.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it?
jcwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Does the water heater and or furnace work correctly on gas?

It yes, sorta rules out a gas system supply problem.

Doesn't a thermocouple tell a gas valve that the flame in an automatic firing appliance that a flame is present and ok to continue supplying gas?

And a stove burner has you controlling the on/off valve.

I am not familiar with your model stove.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
If your other gas appliances are not working, check for a crushed gas line. usually under the curb side a frame rail, follow it along until it enters the coach then look in the coach for crimps or kinks in the line. It also could be a faulty regulator, tank pig tail, or tank switchover valve.

If the other gas appliances (Fridge, Hot water heater, furnace) are working properly, then check for a crushed or kinked gas line that is feeding the stove.

A crushed or kinked line will allow the pressure to build up in the line all the way to the burner control valve when the valve is closed. Once you open the control valve, the initial flow will be ok until the pressure bleeds down and then the flow of gas through the crushed part of the line will not be sufficient to sustain the flames.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
One more thing to try

If your right rear burner works ok but the other two do not,when operated separately with no other burners on, then check for problems in the gas and air supply to the other burners. I have had problems in refrigerators due to spiders in the budner area that put tiny webs across the orifice and hot water heaters due to mud bugs nesting in mixing tube feeding the the burner.

Take the burners apart and inspect for tiny spiders or larger bugs. Inspect the orifices and make sure you can blow air through them. Do not stick anything in the orifices, you could damage them. Check the air mixing ports to make sure they are clear and air can mix with the gas.

If you do not feel comfortable working on your stove, then find a good RV appliance repair person. The manufacturer can suggest someone.

Not every RV dealer has technicians who can diagnose and repair every appliance.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It sounds to me like the gas regulator pressure is a tad low and the flame just leans out and dies. I say this because you mention it has always been a problem. Certanly as others have mentioned, it could also be an issue (kink or restriction) with the line that feeds the stove top.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Likely low lp pressure. Are your tanks near empty
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Richmond , Virginia
We had same issue on our 2020 caravel, it was the regulator. Easy fix.
cldamonhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
troup , Texas
on my gas stove top, i removed the top off and discovered spiders and dirt dawbers had made nests in the lines. I used air compressor and with short blasts blow out all 4 burners tubes and used toothbrush to clear the buggers.. works great.. i'm now working on the range controller since I'm not getting any gas to it. lines were in good shape except for the bugs.... I also found a snake skin behind the range... (no snake)
72sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
Thanks all. Propane tanks are full. We’ve been camping primitive for the past week. Propane water heater, frig and furnace worked fine. Just the problem with the stove burner. Pulled into a rest area for lunch and I was able to get all the burner working at the same time. I held the starting knob in and let them burn awhile. I continue to think it might be a thermocouple problem. Stopped for the night and got them all working again.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
i am not aware of any stove with burner controls as sophisticated so as to have burner management. I could be wrong, but... I would continue to advise you adjust the regulator for a bit more pressure. They are adjustable.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
Update

I took all three burners apart and cleaned the thermocouple probes with steel wool. All three working fine right now. Only time will tell if this fix stays.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Poulsbo , Washington
Hi

I have a new 25 RBR Globetrotter and have a problem with the front burner on the stove. It ignites fine, but once i release the pressure on the igniter and try and adjust the flame, it goes out. The other two burners work just fine.

It is not a life and death issue (of course), and not worth a 4 hour trip to my Airstream Service center at this time. It is irksome however. At least my convection microwave works!

Have any of you had a similar issue? Any recommendations on what to check and how to fix?

Thank you!
dford77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Stoves have changed since 2012 when I bought mine. But the function of the thermocouple is still a simple, vital safety feature. Intelligent guesses follow.
On my stovetop the front burner is highly adjustable. The back two are more ON or OFF - little adjustments are possible, but tricky and the burners have a lower BTU rating. Could someone at the stovetop manufacturer have put the big burner in the back by mistake or prank? Test the other two. If so, Airstream should send you a replacement stovetop (hob - British term)
Light the front burner and leave it on high for long enough to boil a pot of water. If it doesn't go out, the thermocouple is not totally bad. If it does go out at full blast with a hot pot over it. Again, time for a replacement unit.
Next, perhaps you are trying to go to simmer too soon. Try full blast for 30 seconds, then reduce flame.
Lastly something (glue, paint) could have fallen onto the burner during or after installation. Inspect.and clean off with steel wool and retry.
Airstream assembles trailers. Other suppliers make and warranty all of the appliances. You do not necessarily need an Airstream mechanic or shop to fix this. Many grizzled veteran campers know a lot about propane appliances - and propane suppliers too. Almost nobody is giving advice away anymore, but asking for help is not a crime.
And duh - YouTube. I bet $10 that there is a good video on YouTube. It is the second biggest search engine in the world.