Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
Nanaimo , BC
Rubber feet for Furrion cast iron grate

I just received the two piece Furrion cast iron grate that is widely recommended on this forum (and elsewhere) as a upgrade to the 3 burner dometic stove (in my 2021 GT 30). It fits perfectly but I do have some concern about the little, pointy legs on the bottom of these grates. Over time, will they scar the stainless steel Dometic stove top?

I am trying to find heat resistant rubber caps to cover the feet and protect the stovetop but I haven’t found a suitable solution yet. Can someone please suggest a suitable product?
AndGorHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Sumterville , Florida
I have the same question, but have not yet ordered the grate. Do you have the gas oven/cooktop combo, or just the cooktop with a microwave mounted below?

I believe those feet would go into a hole with a grommet on the Furrion stove. Does the grate fit with the feet not having a corresponding hole? Is the grate going to move about without being restrained by the feet in holes?

I am wondering if drilling holes for the feet is needed?

Bill
SVTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I'm not sure about the specifics of your grate to stove top match but the plugs are actually a silicone/rubber compound that resists heat.

Furrion "trivet" protectors are expensive:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RIVETSPRT.html

Almost every other RV range top solution uses these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/161936308337

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
The pegs do go in holes on a Furrion stove or cook top, but need to just test on top of the SMEV cooktop surface so that the grates are held at about the same height as the original SMEV grates. I bought these high temperature (600F?) silicone rubber caps with flat bottoms to put on the pegs. Nice snug fit on the pegs, but have to be cut to length. They get installed tomorrow.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210612_185952.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	397283
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
Nanaimo , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTOTEM View Post
I have the same question, but have not yet ordered the grate. Do you have the gas oven/cooktop combo, or just the cooktop with a microwave mounted below?

I believe those feet would go into a hole with a grommet on the Furrion stove. Does the grate fit with the feet not having a corresponding hole? Is the grate going to move about without being restrained by the feet in holes?

I am wondering if drilling holes for the feet is needed?

Bill
Hi Bill,
I have the 3 burner gas stove and the microwave / convection combo. I believe that you are correct: on the Furrion stove, these pegs rest in holes in the stove top.

On the Dometic stove in my coach, the grates fit without having to drill holes for the pegs and without having to grind the pegs off. The lid fully closes over the grates and once in place, the grates do not move around. The combination of their weight, rough finish and grain of the stainless steel in the stovetop provide enough friction to keep them in place. Of course, bringing the top down will provide even more piece of mind for travel.

The grates appear to have the same clearance over top of the burners as the wire racks that were removed to install the grates. I have read that other owners have ground the pegs off and this seems unnecessary to me. Note that to install the grates, I did remove the wire racks that came with the stove top. I also temporarily removed the centre mounting screw on each side of the cooktop and slid the grates in from the centre before reinstalling the screws.

My reason for looking for rubber caps to cover the pegs is I would rather not damage the finish of the factory stove top over time as the pegs rattle around during travel. I looked around Amazon for a product and couldn’t find one, but it appears 66Overlander has.

Andrew
Old 06-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
Nanaimo , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
The pegs do go in holes on a Furrion stove or cook top, but need to just test on top of the SMEV cooktop surface so that the grates are held at about the same height as the original SMEV grates. I bought these high temperature (600F?) silicone rubber caps with flat bottoms to put on the pegs. Nice snug fit on the pegs, but have to be cut to length. They get installed tomorrow.Attachment 397283
Hi 66Overland,

I see that the caps you bought are from Mocap. Looks like you may have a few extras

Please let us know if they fit. If so, would you consider payment for shipping some to Canada?

Andrew
Old 06-13-2021, 08:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Installed today. When I cut the rubber caps shorter, I left "ears" to extend up the side of the grate to get wedged against the edges of the stove top opening. The "ears" made for a nice secure fit. I doubt the grates will move under travel and nothing will get scratched.

You may notice that I filed screw clearance indentations on the sides of the grates so that they can be removed to clean under without pulling screws. I coated the newly exposed cast iron in high temp black Rustoleum to prevent rust.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210613_105704.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	397380Click image for larger version

Name:	20210613_105800.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	397381
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 06-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndGorHey View Post
Hi 66Overland,

I see that the caps you bought are from Mocap. Looks like you may have a few extras

Please let us know if they fit. If so, would you consider payment for shipping some to Canada?

Andrew
Minimum quantity was 50, so yes I have some spares. I might be able to share some eventually, but I don't have the opportunity to do so right now.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 06-13-2021, 09:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Sumterville , Florida
Thank you Andrew and Joe. I have ordered the grate.
Bill
SVTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
Nanaimo , BC
Nice install. The ears and notches are good ideas!
Old 06-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Hi All, I have made a similar purchase and posted photos and description here. I am writing today to give proper credit for "my discovery."

Alas, it was our colleague Hugh Davis who led me to it. I had plumb forgot where I got the notion to check out that Furion grate.

I will be cooking some crow for dinner with a nice slice of humble pie for dessert.

Dave
ProPride Hitch
Voyager back-up camera
Davidwantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Home Depot sells the Lippert Cast Iron grate CFSRE21SA002 (replacement for the Furrion grate #723403) for $40 cheaper than etrailer

You can get mocap black silicon caps (instead of bright orange) for the legs on the cast iron grate (to prevent scratches on the dometic stovetop).
The part number for the bright orange mocap silicon caps: MSC 148-1
The part number for the black mocap silicon caps: MEC 148-1
Both the orange and black caps are available on amazon for about $21 for a pack of 50 plugs

You can plug the holes left from the original Dometic grate using 1/4" nickel plated steel plugs from McMaster Carr. These come in a pack of 50 for $13.

The part number for the nickel plated steel caps is 9563K41
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote