Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Round Rock , Texas
Restoring my old Magic Chef Oven/Stove

I cleaned and polished my 1976 Magic Chef Oven/Stove. I made sure it worked before I started my effort, and both the oven and all the burners seemed to work fine.

The clean up was considerable. Tip, take off the back panel, then the sides, and then bottom panels in that order. Leave the door on until the last.

For the door, once the side panels are off it becomes obvious how to remove the springs then lift door out as a unit. Be careful with the inner and outer glass and related chrome. Very fragile! Take the six screws out of the door chrome, then lift the inner panel out, then the inner glass, then the insulation. The rest is easy. Assembly in reverse.

Save insulation if you can. Pay attention to where it goes, and does not go. I got ceramic wool (2000F) to replace my old fiberglass that was nasty. I would not use ceramic wool again! Too itchy, and nasty fibers, be sure to wear a mask and gloves! To do again, I would just get regular fiberglass insulation rated for ~600F or so. I made the mistake of not noticing how the insulation was laid out. I left the bottom vents open (not blocked by insulation) so air could enter the bottom of the oven. I think this is correct.

I also broke the wire going to the oven safety valve (gas valve) when removing the oven burner. Figuring how to replace this part was fun. First off, no replacement parts. Mercury is used in wire at the pilot end (called a thermo-bulb?) to push a tiny rod inside that tiny coper tube/wire that goes to the gas valve. It snapped right off. Taking it apart I believe the wire is used to open gas valve when heat is on oven pilot (expanding mercury pushes rod I think). I assume mercury is no longer recommended for new stoves, so very hard part to source.

Looking on the gas valve, it says "Harper Wyman". Googling that I found

5817G1097 56120 Harper Wyman Oven Safety Valve Replacement

Also on Amazon (found here)

Looks close. I found I could remove the jet/orifice that goes to the oven burner, so I figure I will replace the jet with the original (hope it fits). Will see, should arrive in a few days.

See pic

Here is the back of the Safety Valve.

Wish me luck. Here is how the stove turned out.

Before pic (yuck!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1265[1].jpg
Views:	127
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	380269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1262[1].jpg
Views:	122
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	380270  

Name:	IMG_1254[1].jpg
Views:	129
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	380271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1228[1].jpg
Views:	127
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	380272  

Name:	IMG_1189[1].jpg
Views:	115
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	380273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1267[1].jpg
Views:	124
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	380274  

1967 VW Camper Van
1976 31' Sovereign RB Twin Airstream.
pjpalm1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Gold Hill , North Carolina
Magic Chef oven safety valve

Please let us know how the replacement valve works. I have one like yours, in my Magic Chef (Argosy 1973). Same problem as yours.
Thanks, Tom
n89217 is offline   Reply With Quote