Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
city , N/A
Send a message via AIM to cooney Send a message via Yahoo to cooney
Range Hood Fan

Greetings Airstreamers...

We have an '08 Safari with an Amana stove and gas oven. The range hood, I assume, is also an Amana, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, the fan is only one speed, on or off, and very noisy. We rarely need the full speed of the exhaust fan, but could often use just a little bit of odor and steam removal. So, it would be nice to replace the switch with some sort of rheostat or dimmer.

However, it seems hard to find such an item in 12 volt, especially one that is compact. Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Many Thanks.... Jeff Cooney
cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
My 2000 excella has a low, med, and high fan and switch. I am sure you could get a new fan and switch from a dealer like mine.

Mine is so nice on low.....and super quiet.

Found this too,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f197...d-fan-838.html

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Delton , Michigan
Can I get more info? I'd like a 2 (or preferably 3) speed fan switch. Don't see why a new fan would be needed. My '07 Bambi as a rectangular horizontal toggle switch. Is there a replacement that would be the same?... i.e. a 3 speed 'toggle' switch? What dealer should I contact?
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
HA EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THE AIR STREAM FAMILY AND DOING SOME RESTORING AND WAS THINKING OF REPLACEING MY RANGE HOOD AND WOULD A NEW UPDATED BLACK HOOD .
WITH A REAR VENT THAT I COULD REWORK OR PURCHASE A VENTLESS ONE.
ALSO THE QUESTION I HAVE IS THIS
NOW I HAVE A RED GROUND WIRE CONNECTED TO A SCREW AND A BLACK WIRE (POWER )
NOW I HAVE ANOTHER RV RANGE HOOD THAT HAS A LIGHT AND BLOWER (MOTOR) MY QUESTION IS THIS I HAVE TRIED THE NEW HOOD AND CAN NOT GET IT TO WORK THAT HAS A LIGHT AND MOTOR?

THE NEW HOOD HAS A YELLOW GROUND WIRE THAT WOULD BE PLACED ON THE GROUND SCREW , AND A BLACK WIRE POWER THAT WOULD CONNECT TO THE BLACK ON THE HOOD AND I GUESS THE WHITE WIRE FOR THE LIGHT WOULD ALSO BE CONNECTED WITH THE BLACK THAT IS ON THE HOOD TO THE POWER BLACK WIRE .

COULD ANY ONE PLEASE GIVE ME ANY WIREING INFORMATION OR WHAT I may be doing wrong.
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It sounds like your new range hood might be made for 120 volts and not 12 volts like the original. That is why you have a ground, neutral and hot wires to connect. The original 12 volt fan just has a +12 volt line and a return (ground) wire.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Richard
I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING AND THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP , BUT I DID ORDER IT FROM A RV DEALER AND IT SAYS 12 VOLTS ALL THOUGH IT HAS A FEW MORE WIRES AS I SAID , FOR THE LIGHT WHICH I BELIEVE IS THE WHITE WIRE.
I JUST WOUNDER IF THE HOOD IS DEFECTIVE , I DO NOT KNOW OF ANY OTHER WAY TO TEST IT .
THANKS AGAIN
GEORGE
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote