Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Pilot's

Just how important is it to light the pilot lights on my stove and oven if say I'm just using the furnace for heat. If they are not lit, are they a constant source of propane into the trailer? Is there a way to increase the height of my pilot flame on the stove as mine is minimal at best? Also my refer flame never really goes out after being lit when the refer gas control is turned off from inside. The only thing that really kills it is turning off the tank.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
pilots are at rest..

The propane can be measured with a manometer.and, there is a certain level that it should fall within. (10.5 to 11 " of water column.)
See this link for info:http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/manometer.html (Your furnace does not require a pilot flame on the stove in order to function.
Now the height on the stove's burner can be regulated by the opening or closing of the orifices just behind the front panel for each knob.
You'll have to lift the top of the stove up and, as you look down onto the piping, you'll see a mechanical adj for the opening..Just be careful in doing this as you should make small adj each time..
It's also possible you may have something else going on here to with regards to the flame heights...So be very careful..
Just had a thought...Have you checked for gas leaks anywhere???
Good luck~
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac
Just how important is it to light the pilot lights on my stove and oven if say I'm just using the furnace for heat. If they are not lit, are they a constant source of propane into the trailer? Is there a way to increase the height of my pilot flame on the stove as mine is minimal at best? Also my refer flame never really goes out after being lit when the refer gas control is turned off from inside. The only thing that really kills it is turning off the tank.
I can only speak from my knowledge of the natural gas world, but most standing pilots can be turned off from a small adjustment screw that in many cases is near a gas valve on the stove or in close proximity of the small line that provides gas to the pilot. Normally that same screw can adjust the amount of gas to the pilot, so you can control the height of the flame.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
The propane can be measured with a manometer.and, there is a certain level that it should fall within. (10.5 to 11 " of water column.)
See this link for info:http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/manometer.html (Your furnace does not require a pilot flame on the stove in order to function.
Now the height on the stove's burner can be regulated by the opening or closing of the orifices just behind the front panel for each knob.
You'll have to lift the top of the stove up and, as you look down onto the piping, you'll see a mechanical adj for the opening..Just be careful in doing this as you should make small adj each time..
It's also possible you may have something else going on here to with regards to the flame heights...So be very careful..
Just had a thought...Have you checked for gas leaks anywhere???
Good luck~
53FC
Not sure what you might be referring to. I'm simply talking about a pilot light for the stove that doesn't seem to be as large as it should be. Why would this indicate a gas leak? As for the refer, I'm assuming the gas adjustment knob on the inside is not completely turning off the gas. Not a huge deal since it is on the outside, but a potential gas waster.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #5
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Wacnstac,

We're all friends here, so you might as well give us a first name to call you. There's no reason at all to leave a Magic Chef stove of the late 70's era lit. The top burners can be lighted off with one of the cheap long propane camp igniters. However, if you DO light the oven pilot, you should light the top pilot, too, or it will waste gas, which can be potentially dangerous.

The furnace has nothing to do with the stove. They have separate lines coming up to them from below the trailer.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
I know they have seperate lines, but my point is if both lines are turned on and I turn on my gas tank, won't propane leak out of unlit pilots?

Steve
Old 05-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I am no expert here, but my understanding is that an unlit pilot will not leak gas in a modern appliance. The pilot heats a thermocouple which opens a valve to allow the pilot to burn. No heat, pilot gas shuts off. You may want to test this with soapy water.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
pilots

Steve, Each of your appliances should have a gas shutoff valve on the line that provides propane to that appliance. The one for the stove should be under the stovetop that holds the burner grates. On my 1967 Safari it is located on the left rear corner to the left of the rear most left burner. The one for your refer may be accessible from an outside access cover or behind the lower control panel cover. If these are turned to the off position the pilots will not receive gas and will not light. They are mechanical though and could leak with age so testing them with a sniffer or bubbles is the only way to know for sure that the gas is fully off. The furnace should have a shut off too. Therefore, It can be operated without having standing pilot lights on any other appliances. Your water heater should also have its' own propane supply and a shut off. All your appliances should be checked for propane leaks at least twice a year and cleaned/adjusted when needed. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself you can get almost any RV dealer to check them. You may also be able to get them checked by a propane distributor if you have one near you as I do. Hope this will help you with your questions. Never be afraid to ask anything. We all can use good questions and answers from each other on our previous experiences. Enjoy the heat and see you down the road. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote