Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Newbie Oven Question

I have a 1998 31' Excella w/ original Magic Chef.

Electric ignition is out (I'll have to replace that sooner than later)--lighting the range(s) is easy, but I haven't figured out how to light the oven yet.

It seems that there is a heater light that must reach a threshold before it is hot enough for the valves to open and the pilot light to light?

Is there anyway I can light these w/ a flame (BBQ lighter)?

I'll probably replace the electric ignition eventually, but it would be nice to use sooner than later.

Thanks!
gquake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Most of the Magic Chef's of older vintage work this way.

You turn the oven control on and with a BBQ lighter, light the first pilot. Just wave the BBQ lighter around near the pilot area and it will catch. It burns constantly unless the control is in the "pilot off" position. When you turn the oven temp control up, lets say to 350F the first pilot lights a second pilot which is larger. It heats a thermocouple, which then operates the gas valve to let gas flow to the burner. When the temp hits the set point, the second pilot is turned off, cooling the thermocouple which then shuts the gas off. This cycle continues to keep the temp constant. When you turn the oven to off, the second pilot light will not operate, but the first one stays on. Only if you turn the main control to "pilot off" will you completely cut the gas.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Gquake,

I have the opposite situation (1998 Safari), I figured out lighting the over pilot easily. But I can't get the stove top lit. The igniter knob seems broken. When I turn the primary burner knob (I would think this starts the gas going) and try to light it I have no success.

Any suggestions?
mizzadventur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
mizzadventur

I've been using a cheap grill lighter for the range (I also cannot get the stoves to light using the igniter knob--appears to be broken/out of service as well).

Matches work, too. Piece of cake: turn on the gas AFTER you have the lighter or match lit and brought it close to the range.

G
Old 05-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Thanks, idroba--meant to say so earlier (in October!), but looks like it didn't go through. It's what we've been doing and works well. To save gas we just keep the pilot off.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Most of the Magic Chef's of older vintage work this way.

You turn the oven control on and with a BBQ lighter, light the first pilot. Just wave the BBQ lighter around near the pilot area and it will catch. It burns constantly unless the control is in the "pilot off" position. When you turn the oven temp control up, lets say to 350F the first pilot lights a second pilot which is larger. It heats a thermocouple, which then operates the gas valve to let gas flow to the burner. When the temp hits the set point, the second pilot is turned off, cooling the thermocouple which then shuts the gas off. This cycle continues to keep the temp constant. When you turn the oven to off, the second pilot light will not operate, but the first one stays on. Only if you turn the main control to "pilot off" will you completely cut the gas.
Thanks so much! We fixed our leak at the main line, so now we are ready to check if our stove/range, refridge and water heater all work. (saying LOTS of prayers!) I was a little leary of trying my hand at lighting the oven as I'm not very tall and didn't want to have to stick my head inside to light it. Whew!
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote