Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #1

1968 26' Overlander
Au Train , Michigan
New stove for a 1968 Airstream

Hi

My Name is Connie. My husband, Jim, and I have a 1968 Overlander that we are trying to restore. The stove is in rough shape and my arm is getting tired trying to clean it from the rust and wear and tear. How do I get a new stove or refinish the existing one? We, also, will be needing holding tanks and a new refrigerator. Does anyone have any suggestions for how we start? This sure is a wonderful tool to get some help. Thanks to anyone out there that can help us bring our beauty back to life.

Thanks
Connie Hedmark conniehedmark@yahoo.com
68bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Welcome

Connie, Can of worms just got opened.

It's time to spend rediculous amounts of time seaching the forums and web sites.

I suggest looking at vintageairstream.com. The site has a lot of useful information. It has lots of cost information on appliances and great detail on his restoration.

Another great site is TheVap.com. You can listen to their podcast and it's really informative.

My suggestion is to first figure out if you want to update the trailer or keep it looking vintage.

I would try to save the old stove if possible. On the tanks, replacing them can lead into a whole lot of other work depending on what you use the trailer for. Boondocking usually requires larger tanks. Sorry I didn't give you exact answers, but it all depends on what you want in the end.

Gilbert
2bkidfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Connie- Welcome to you and Jim. You have several options in which direction you would like to go and how much money can you spare. When we started restoring the Tradewind we decided to completly redo the interior and replaced everything with new. New stove, furnace, frid, electric, etc. The exterior is left vintage except for the hot water heater cover. Use the search function and the world will open at your feet as will your check book. Keep us posted on your progress.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Hi Connie,

I also suggest you browse the resources that Gilbert suggests. Many folks here that can tell you what to do, but the best way is to get educated and then decide what fits your wants and capabilities.

I'm located just next door in WI and am in the middle of doing the same "restoration" to our '67. I'll send you an email with my contact info. I'd be happy to share my experience with you as you go through the process. You can also check out my blog (link below)... I've got a little head start on you.

Post some picts... so we can see what your into.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Make sure your floor is solid

Make sure your floor is not soft and rotted before you do anything else. We didn't and we ended up doing a lot of things that needed to be undone in order to fix the floor......chances are you may have had a leaky something or other (like water heater) in that 68 that has impacted the integrity of the trailer. We replaced the toilet, repaired the black water tank, replaced the black tank dump valve and put in laminate only to discover that our rear bath floor was rotten......it felt like we were walking downhill in the bath room. If you don't know how to tell if your floor has a problem, please find someone in your area that knows how to check this out.....I am hoping someone will learn from our mistake. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
To answer your original question about the stove, assuming your oven is not directly attached:Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

If your oven is part of your stove, here's an ad for a virtually brand new one from our classified section:Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - Brand new Tapan gas range. - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Tags
1968, 1968 airstream