Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Microwave upgrade for Sport 16

New Sport 16 owner here (2012). Most of the Sports I looked at included a factory upgrade addition of a microwave mounted under the storage cabinet just above the 2 burner propane stove (which is above the refrig). They list on the sticker as about a $470 upgrade. Kinda pricey for a simple microwave that doesn't look like it is built for earthquakes/rving anymore than any other.

Anyway, mine did not come with this upgrade, but does have a blank 110 plug outlet in that overhead cabinet, along with plugged mounting holes and a cutout for the cord to pass thru for the microwave. I haven't checked the fusebox yet, but I'll bet there is a microwave fuse spot.

QUESTION: Anyone know were to buy the microwave for the upgrade, along with the mounting hardware? One dealer claimed in was so expensive because of the install. But it looks to me that the install would be simple as everything seems to be ready for it.

I have searched extensively at the AS store and other rv parts places online, but haven't found anything yet. Only found this generic mounting kit Hanging Kit
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
OK, I am zeroing in on it. I found in the 2011 Sport 16 parts manual (2012 isn't out yet) a listing for 690579 MICROWAVE-GE BLACK SPACEMAKER, 16’
and assorted mounting parts. So, I am wondering if I could just buy a GE Spacemaker under the cabinet type microwave and install it there? Any thoughts?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Wow no responses? I would have thot adding a microwave was a common thing. I have looked at other posts about it, but didn't find any addressing adding one under the storage like the optional one that sometimes comes with it. The number I found for the Spacemaker I am guessing is an Airstream number. I haven't found anything like it with the GE Spacemaker listings.

I guess I will have to measure the pre-drilled holes and go to BestBuy and see if I can find a match. If and when I am successful I will post back here for anyone who might want to do the same.

The Sport 16 has burners, but no oven of any kind, unless bought with the microwave upgrade already installed. I do 98% of my cooking in the microwave and probably won't be dry camping that much so....

-Rich
Old 01-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The microwaves generally installed in RV's have some venting that exhausts cooling air out the front of the unit and sometimes have an intake at the bottom and exhaust at the top. They also usually have a mounting flange all around so they are bolted in place. In that way they are slightly different from the household units that you see so inexpensive in the stores. That minor difference makes them expensive when purchased at an RV dealer or as a part, like from an Airstream dealer.

Now, you could vent and mount a conventional countertop unit, I am sure, but the manufacturers and dealers must cope with liability of them falling out, and overheating, so they buy special ones that eliminate that issue for them.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
True, but some of the microwaves listed as under cabinet mounted for home use also include that type of built in recirculating venting at the top. At least the ones at Bestbuy. If their mounting hardware matches the predrilled holes in my Sport I may try one.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have a regular oven (which we use all the time), but we like to have a microwave when we want it, too... But there is absolutely no place to permanently mount a microwave in a 19' (that has an oven) that makes sense to us. So we carry a small inexpensive portable microwave (usually under $50). It sits outside on a small table and we plug it into the outside outlet when we need it. We made a vinyl over/cozy for it so it's out of the weather if it rains...works well for us. If we are dry camping or boon docking we usually don't take it with us... If we had an appropriate place inside we'd do it that way.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Definitely concur with Terry and Greg - unless you have a dedicated cabinet (not likely in a 16'er) you can use a "bring-along." Try Road Trucker 12VDC Products - they have a 12vDC "bring-along" microwave unit.

Cheers...

Art

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
Definitely concur with Terry and Greg - unless you have a dedicated cabinet (not likely in a 16'er) you can use a "bring-along." Try Road Trucker 12VDC Products - they have a 12vDC "bring-along" microwave unit.

Cheers...

Art
No, the 16s are made, i.e. prewired and premounting holed for a microwave. The one I bought was the only one of listings I looked at online (plus one in person) that didn't have the optional microwave already installed. Mine has the 110/120 socket in place. Even has the hole in back of the cabinet over the stove, for the power cord to run down to the microwave. Also the mounting holes are predrilled and plugged with plastic caps. So it's not a question of whether one can be installed. It is a question of where to get it.
Here is a pic from Airstream's online brochure. They show the microwave already installed (it is an almost $500 option).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dda6ff7c181133a21ad1cdfe72f65058.jpg
Views:	2891
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	151916  
Old 10-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Prince George , British Columbia
I am wondering how you ended up dealing with this. We just picked up our 2012 16' Sport on the weekend and one of the future changes that we will consider is the swapping of the microwave for one that has a convection feature. One of the models (larger A/S) that we had looked at had the micro/convection feature AND a broiler.
Keith and Sue in PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi All!

We have the 2012 with the microwave. Must say that we have only used it once. I can't think of what why we really need it. The first thing we set up when we get to a spot is the outdoor burners. And we just love cooking outside. The microwave IS great additional storage for chips and bread! I think alot of it is due to living in AZ - we are so used to cooking practically everything outdoors. (Although we lived in midwest and east coast and have been known to BBQ in the snow!)

To be honest, when we got the AS I thought we would never "boondock" but it seems the opposite. We've only been with hook ups ( mostly partial) about 5 times. And now that we installed a second battery we don't run the generator as often as we did before. (btw - 2nd battery - a great idea and good investment)

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice thing to have because we don't have ovens, but I don't think that one replaces the other.

good luck! and continue having fun!
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote