Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Microwave stabilizer or screw jack

Greetings

I am not sure what to call it but the need in my AS is to secure the microwave in the opening by the sink. Interestingly AS mentions the need to do so in their manual but did not do it. The microwave slides in to the opening but nothing holds it there. Does anyone have any ideas? I keep thinking about some type of screw-down device like a screw jack or spring tension rod that would have opposing pads that when turned, increase the distance between pads - make sense? If I could get three of something like this I would be able to keep it in the spot. The previous trailer owner bungie corded the microwave in the cupboard.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I don't know if you have the space but there is a strap system made specifically for this application. It uses very very heavy duty adhesive pads on the shelf and sides of the Microwave, and a strap between them. I found mine at an RV store. I moved my microwave to a new location and no longer use them, but they worked very well to hold mine on a countertop.

They also make some 2" wide Velcro with adhesive backing which might work for you if you ran it to the sides of the Microwave and secured it somehow to the walls of the cabinet, or the floor of it. Just another thought.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Here is the kitchen

Note where the microwave is. The previous owner sawed, yes sawed roughly, the cabinet to fit this larger microwave in the opening but now there is no trim, a rough edge and it moves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	161392
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Check with the microwave manufacturer (on line) to see if they offer a mounting flange. It's a simple angle frame that surrounds the microwave. You screw it to the microwave and then slide the whole works into the cutout and screw the frame flanges (i.e. - "finish molding") to the surrounding cabinet. The only caveat is that the rear of the microwave should be supported.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Cracker has it right. Check the mfgr's website for a build-in kit. This should include a face frame and stabilizing straps. Here's a pic of my built-in Sharp from the rear -- showing the back side of the frame and one of the stabilizing straps.

Name:	microwave.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	161518

The screws attaching the face frame to the cabinetry are the only anchor point for my microwave ... that's been holding up well. I had to modify the structure to give that a chance to work -- Microwave shelf fails in '06 FB SE.

What's the wall surrounding your microwave? 1/2 particle board? Any chance of a closer picture?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yes thanks. I spent two days this week on this and some time right after I bought the AS checking on a trim kit- no luck. I greatly appreciate your comments and posts.

Bob, there is only cabinet face there and all jagged, crooked cutout. The original owner used a jigsaw to make it as wide an opening as possible so it is 1" at the top left from the wall and all the way to the cabinet vertical board inside the opening. It is also not squared and the cutting was done at a 45 degree angle from the opening!

I broke down and had a cabinet person conference with me from Micro-trim online for an hour emailing pictures, etc. He told me that the microwave currently in my AS was unsafe. Not that it would catch fire but that it was too big for the opening since it was up against the back all the way, had no space underneath or on the sides and had only 2 inches at the top. He stated that they pull cool air in from the bottom and expel hot air in the back. So, given the size dimensions he suggested a micro that fit would be around 18" wide and 13" deep. I found a few that size and got one. There is no build kit for it either. I contacted several manufacturers and found that the trim kits are built for the larger units only. Whirlpool/Kitchenaid had one for a larger micro and the kits were 24"-30" w for their micro which had similar dimensions to my larger one- 21"w. Dometic has one for their unit and then there is a universal RV trim kit (top and bottom grill only) that is what was in my AS but it was too small for the big one and now that the sides are sawed out, looks ridiculous with the smaller one. I bit the bullet and had a custom one made for the new smaller microwave. They are building a rail system with stops for the feet to keep it from sliding around. It cost me twice what the oven cost but it SHOULD look nice.

This is a problem because it is out of the available general product offerings. It looks as if Airstream got smarter on this one as I noticed on the new ones they have a slide out microwave cabinet - no trim needed and not so size specific.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
...and the final result!

After playing with molding and a saw and learning that microwaves pull in cool air from the bottom AND must sit up when enclosed, I was compelled to call micro-trim. This is the result. I installed the custom kit today. It is stainless-look aluminum, fits perfect and came with foot channels and 3m stick L brackets to hold it in place. Although the pic makes it look like the sides are gray, they are the same material as the top and bottom. The channels lift the bottom of the micro by about 2 inches. All I can say is that I am happy. This was one of my ongoing challenges a la Airstream. It is solved and it looks factory! I priced kits from Whirlpool 24" and other sources. I already had the generic top/bottom kit from the RV dealer. That did not help my crooked sides jigsaw cutout issue. This solution also solved the issue of allowing air into the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	162257  
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Looks great, nice job!!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Fabulous! Good job!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Thank you 10Smiles and TBRich. I do not mean to sound boastful just happy to have overcome the issue. So many on here have pristine trailers and mine, well has some rough edges, so, when I can improve on a "scar" I am glad to get it taken care of.