Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #1

2001 27' Safari
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Red face Microwave problems

The post that makes the glass plate revolve has broken and I think I will have to replace the whole microwave. Where do I find one that fits into my 27 ft. Safari? Will a standard small microwave work or do I have to get it from airstream to make it fit?
jstumpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
What brand microwave is it? Get the brand and model number. You should find parts easily by doing some google searches.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
CAUTION but you can repair it yourself. I teach appliance repair at a tech college. A microwave oven has a capacitor in it that can store up to 2000 volts. Even unplugged for years. However the repair you need to do should not require the removal of the outer cabinet, so you won't be near the capacitor. The Post you are talking about may be a part all by itself or may be part of the turn table motor. Either way if you turn the M/W over and look at the bottom there should be a square plate in the center. Some plates have a screw to remove and some were left intact when the stamped the metal bottom but would be holding on by a few tabs that can be sniped with a wire cutter. This plate covers the motor.
Looking up parts for M/W's on line can be tricky, so if you need help send me the make and model number.
GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

2001 27' Safari
Fort Wayne , Indiana
microwave post

Our airstream is in storage until this weekend so I can't get the part number yet. The post appeared to be part of the turn table motor. Won't it be about as expensive to buy another motor as it would to replace the microwave?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Most turn table motors are between $25-$50. Some are more, some are less, some are not available.
But it cost nothing for us to see what we can get and how much the part will be.

If you can use a screw driver, you can replace this part yourself and not pay anyone labor.

If your M/W looks built-in, and you don't want to do any woodworking, buying a new M/W to fit that exact opening might be hard to find.

Let’s start with seeing if the part is available and the cost of the part and if you can buy it locally or have to order it online.

So when you get a chance send me the brand name and model number.
Also measure the outside dimensions of the M/W, when you are there this weekend, in case you decide on a new one.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
They're so cheap now, lower in weight, and have some new and worthwhile features, I wonder if its really worth fixing an old one. And yes, I think 10 years is old in that type of commodity.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by aage View Post
they're so cheap now, lower in weight, and have some new and worthwhile features, i wonder if its really worth fixing an old one. And yes, i think 10 years is old in that type of commodity.

ditto !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I would also agree if you are handy or there is little or no woodworking involved. I'm guessing it gets less use than their home m/w. So 10 years is not a long time.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
raybell23

2017 23' Flying Cloud
florence , South Carolina
microwave oven

I have a 2002 27ft Safari trailer and had to replace the microwave about 4 months ago. I found a Domitic RV Microwave oven model CDMW12B in black which was identical to the original at www.adventurerv.net for 130.00. The service was very good. Ray
raybell27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #10

2001 27' Safari
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Is is easy to replace the microwave ourselves-pulling it out of the cabinet, etc? Did you have to do any woodwork?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
raybell23

2017 23' Flying Cloud
florence , South Carolina
Microwave Oven

There was no wood work required to install the oven. There are 4 screws holding the oven in the trailer cabinet and the power cable plugs into a receptle behind the oven. Remove the 4 screws and take the oven out of the cabinet. You then take the top and bottom trim panels off the old oven an attach them to the new. The new microwave then mounts into the same opening and is held in by the same 4 screws. Looks just like before. Good luck. Ray
raybell27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Not exactly on-topic -- but something of an anatomy lesson: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...-se-44885.html

I certainly believe you could use any small microwave that fits for which you can get a face kit.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Wolfe City , Texas
Sorry to get a little off subject but I just got my AS a few weeks ago and the MW does not work. It comes on and sounds as if it is working but does not heat. I am of the openion to get a new one - less weight - less energy use. I also was told that I needed to flip a switch in the cabinet above the range before I used the MW to shut down the AC etc. then after use turn it back. Is this correct and does it still need to be done with the newer MW units?
Sov1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave, replace