Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
LittleCity , Colorado
Microwave Falling Out

Hi, our second trip in our new 2019 FC 23FBQ last weekend was to a local national forest, open only for 'dispersed camping'. The journey was short but involved a section of washboard gravel road. When we parked and setup we found a number of screws on the floor. Where could these have come from? Later we realized, they had all fallen out of the mounting for our microwave - with only one screw remaining to hold the appliance in place. I put the screws back in but ... they are ready to fall out again (and indeed did on our return trip).

We'd like to go back to that campsite again but ... don't want to see our microwave crashing to the floor.

How should we anchor/secure the microwave to avoid such trouble in the future?
El Juncal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I'm not sure how the screws are fastened to the cabinet. Generally there are plastic inserts and the screws are driven into the insert. If the screws came out of the insert or the insert came out of the cabinet, gorilla glue, or polyurethane adhesive inserted into the cabinet hole and insert will do the job. If the screws go directly into wood and the threads are stripped, fill the hole with glue and toothpicks, let it set for then re-drill put some more glue on the threads and screw them in.

If they attach using sheet metal screws or machine screws, put loctite or equivalent on the threads.

Now since you have stuff coming loose, check your tire pressure. Trailer tires are much less prone to damage and premature failure if they are inflated to max labeled sidewall pressure (cold tire) and so many including Airstream recommend this, but it makes for a jarring trailer experience. A trade off is to get the tire load chart and your actual trailer axle load and inflate them (at ambient daily temperature) to the pressure corresponding to 115-120% of actual tire load. This will be less stressful on the trailer and still provide reasonable stiffness to manage the sheer on the tire plies while cornering. Carefully understand the trade-off you are making here trailers are hard on the internal tire plys so be sure you inspect your tires as they age and consider replacing them at 5 years or less.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
On our 2019 27' GT the microwave is on a slide-out shelf. I pulled the MW and the shelf completely out so it's much easier to work on. With the MW in the correct position on the shelf, (feet in the counterbores) I placed a 1" wide piece of black duct tape across on the top of it. I got some utility strap (from the HD plumbing dept.) that is 1/2" wide and positioned it on the duct tape so that the strap would reach over the MW and down to the shelf. Then I screwed the strap into the shelf on both ends of the MW. Finally I took more duct tape and covered the utility strap on the MW top so it's not so "unfinished" looking.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Show us how the microwave is mounted.
I assume it's not in a drawer or else screws wouldn't be on the floor.
GMFL did a post a few weeks ago about mounting his better.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...od-207471.html
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
No Microwave in our Airstreams: :)

Our microwave in our 2006 23 foot Safari, after the first trip, had the short wood screws falling out. They went through that chrome frame to secure the microwave, into the fake wood, with the fake wood formica sheet attached to hold it all together.

Toothpicks worked. Occasionally replacement when necessary. Do not loose one of them... fat screws. They are unique to those only on the microwave. You will get use to finding hinge screws and hardware sooner than later, unless you secured them with zip ties.

We never used the microwave, so removed it and used the large open area to store paper goods. Nancy made a curtain to make it look better than a hole over the refrigerator.

IF the microwave is mounted over the top of the refrigerator. You now have the 12 volt fan(s) to move air and cool the ammonia coils for the Dometic refrigerator... even a BIGGER CURSE with the constant buzzing and noise, as well draining your batteries.

After eight years with the 2006 BUZZING Fan, we NEVER would look again at an Airstream unless the Refrigerator vented through the roof. I was fairly 'normal' until eight years of fan buzzing... which you will NEVER forget and will want to avoid if you purchase another Airstream.

We have yet to camp and use the Televisions or Microwave... so our 25 foot and current 27 foot are SANS microwave. The televisions add some weight to the trailer for strong cross winds, if your water tank is low. Not really. They are a hassle to remove and when not there, looks worse with wires and stuff hanging out. Like modern Art, kind of stuff.

When we go to sell... if someone one wants a microwave, avoid ours. We learned our lesson. There are 'costs' other than what you see involved every time you leave home.

If I want to haul a microwave... it will be to the City Dump. When we sold the 23 foot Safari... we replaced the like new microwave into the space, secured the wood screws. ...toothpicks... not included.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
LittleCity , Colorado
Smile Thank you

Hi, Thanks to all who posted. The m/w is not on a sliding mechanism, just mounted 'in the wall' above our fridge. I will try the toothpicks and glue approach as suggested. Thanks again!
El Juncal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Do it once and be done with it. Install T nuts on the back of the face frame, preferably adding small blocks of backing wood with some glue, drilling through those, so the teeth on the T nuts are pulled into the backing wood Then use machine screws with a small locking washer. Don't mess around with trying to 'fix' stripped out wood with toothpicks and glue unless you want to mess with it again down the road. While you're at it, beef up the sheet metal screws that hold the microwave to the face frame. Those will fail on rough roads too.

p.s. I also used the T nut solution for my converter which was having the same problem when boondocking.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 05:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
This is what happened to us as well - we arrived at camp with the microwave inside the cabinet and the metal face frame broken and loose. This has been coming on for awhile, but I didnít how bad it had gotten.

Iíll look into the solution youíve recommended, and would like to see the photos - but we donít do Instagram or Facebook so it wonít let me look at what youíve posted.

Thanks.
ibosket is offline   Reply With Quote