Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Microwave Drawer - Is there a trick?

We just purchased a 2018 Tommy Bahama 27 with the microwave in the slide out. The question: Do they make way for the microwave drawer to lock in the out position with some push button to make it retract back into a closed position? Even with the trailer level, it wants to retract while in use. There is plenty of cord slackness.

We are just wondering is there is some mechanism that we are not seeing?

Thanks
D
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I have a 2012 27FB with the microwave slide out. How confident are you about being level? I've had the retraction problem when off level a bit but never when I'm spot on.

If you are level and it's still retracting a temporary solution could be as simple as stuffing a towel in the rack on the bottom slide. But as it's a 2018, it's got to be under warranty, yes? I'd take it in for a check. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarrett View Post
We just purchased a 2018 Tommy Bahama 27 with the microwave in the slide out. The question: Do they make way for the microwave drawer to lock in the out position with some push button to make it retract back into a closed position? Even with the trailer level, it wants to retract while in use. There is plenty of cord slackness.

We are just wondering is there is some mechanism that we are not seeing?

Thanks
D
Check your connection outlet in wall socket inside the cabinet . The cord maybe hung up and not extending thus creating a slight pull back.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Do they make way for the microwave drawer to lock in the out position with some push button to make it retract back into a closed position?
No there is no mechanism to lock it in the out position.
Quote:
Even with the trailer level, it wants to retract while in use.
Ours retracts a bit as well but stops at the power switch position. Not a bid deal for us.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Randy

2015 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
First thing we do before setting chocks is the “microwave test” on our 27 ft fb. While we may look level, my wife checks the microwave to ensure it does not retract. If the microwave retracts, we use the level blocks. We are usually slightly biased towards the driver side for this reason. The shower drains better as well.
Randyf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
OK, mystery solved. We had problems with our microwave in our 27 international. First of all, it didn't seem to be fastened down to the drawer. We were afraid it would fall out while traveling. We took the problem to JC.

Three techs were figuring a way to fasten it down when the guy who knew stopped them with the correct solution.

The upper surface above the microwave is supposed to have what looks like a chalkboard eraser. It is installed top middle above the microwave so it pushes down on the top of the microwave. It is fastened to the wood above.

The eraser acts to hold the microwave in place when closed and to offer resistance as the drawer is pulled out.

I bet they forgot to install the eraser in yours.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
OK, mystery solved. We had problems with our microwave in our 27 international. First of all, it didn't seem to be fastened down to the drawer. We were afraid it would fall out while traveling.
I know my microwave is not fastened to the tray because I can move it around. Don't know about when closed.
I was thinking of some industrial Velcro between the outside wall of the microwave and the vertical part of the sliding tray.

For traveling, I made a wood dowel with rubber crutch tips about 26" long. (trial and error). I wedge that between the sliding drawer and the opposing wall. Just in case.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote