Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Boulder , Colorado
Manual for Early '80s Magic Chef?

Does anyone have an early 1980's manual they could scan, or take pics of, of operating instructions for a Magic Chef (oven)- Top burners work ok, but the oven would not light when placed in 'pilot ' mode. Its gas start, no electric, I assume because of the stovetop is hand-lit. It goes 'ftt' for half a second, but no real gas-odor or anything. I've read lots of people have issues starting these.
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Does anyone have an early 1980's manual they could scan, or take pics of, of operating instructions for a Magic Chef (oven)- Top burners work ok, but the oven would not light when placed in 'pilot ' mode. Its gas start, no electric, I assume because of the stovetop is hand-lit. It goes 'ftt' for half a second, but no real gas-odor or anything. I've read lots of people have issues starting these.
Welcome to the forums!

There is an earlier thread on this forum which may be of value. It refers to earlier stoves, but I suspect they haven't changed much over the years.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...mer-82799.html

I have attached scans of pertinent pages from the instructions for the stove in our 1980.

We don't use our oven very often, but the oven pilot light has lit when we did. (Our stove doesn't have the top burner pilot light either--the manual pages seem to cover all Magic Chef RV stoves.)

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page_4.jpg
Views:	1191
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	173325   Click image for larger version

Name:	page_5.jpg
Views:	1123
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	173326  

Name:	page_8.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	173327   Click image for larger version

Name:	wait_notice.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	173328  

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Boulder , Colorado
Hmm, Ok, thanks. Mine is about 83 and has one main pipe in the front of the stove, and all the burners and oven thermostat come off of it. I did not wait 30 seconds or longer when lighting, maybe that's the ticket?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Hot Hot Hot

Hope to revive this thread and get a few answers of my own. Ours is a 1984 Magic Chef. The pages above from Nuvite-F fit it perfectly. But my problem is different than the OP. I can light the pilot with no problem. But when I turn the dial to light the burner it only has one setting. WIDE OPEN. It will flame on and no matter where I turn the dial, it stays wide open. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them. I looked at the pages from the manual above and all seems well. All the top burners work fine, and the stove does too if you are trying to turn cakes into charcoal...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	magic chef 1.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	174589   Click image for larger version

Name:	magic chef pilot and burner.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	174590  

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The oven does not work like the stove top burners. It goes on full blast until the oven reaches the set temp. then it will automatically shut itself down to pilot until the thermostat demands it to come back on. Next time you light it try setting it for a mid range temp and let it go. Watch and see if it shuts down when it reaches it. Might should get an oven thermometer so you can see if it's working right.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Thermostat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
The oven does not work like the stove top burners. It goes on full blast until the oven reaches the set temp. then it will automatically shut itself down to pilot until the thermostat demands it to come back on. Next time you light it try setting it for a mid range temp and let it go. Watch and see if it shuts down when it reaches it. Might should get an oven thermometer so you can see if it's working right.
On our last trip out Skye tried to bake a cake. In 20 minutes it looked like a charcoal briquet, albeit a very large one. She was not a happy camper. We got an oven thermometer and tested. Straight to 575 (pegged the thermometer) and the flames never backed off. I managed to wedge the door open a bit and regulate it to 375 so she could still bake the cake for the potluck. Had to turn on the AC though...Flames stayed at full blast the whole time.
My thoughts were thermostat as well. But I have no idea where it might be. No mention of one in the trouble shooting guide posted above. But if someone knows where that elusive bugger is, please tell me and I will change it out. Otherwise, Skye is threatening me with buying a brand new stovetop/convection microwave combo unit to replace it all. $$$

WBCCI 3805
Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Boulder , Colorado
My problem is the pilot lights, but the oven won't come on. On 2 of these.

I was thinking about tinkering with it, ....help me obi-wan...
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
My problem is the pilot lights, but the oven won't come on. On 2 of these.

I was thinking about tinkering with it, ....help me obi-wan...
Sorry Wanderer, did not mean to hijack your thread. Thought maybe you had yours fixed. I think we both may be buying the new fangled appliances...

WBCCI 3805
Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Boulder , Colorado
Never, Ill just make my pizza in a foil lined cardboard box over the stove. I have a full manual if I can figure out how to scan it BTW.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
the oven knob slips on thermostat shaft, if it wont hold a set temp it needs to be replaced with a NEW one. this is not a do it your self job
looking like her cake is not fun. leave this to a service teck.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote