Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
magic chef works but I have a question

It is very obvious my Magic chef oven has never been used in my 73 Overlander. It still is new inside. I was not able to get it to fire up until I started reading the threads about starting one. It works great!!! My question is since it is 30 years old is there anything that I need to be worried about? We would like to use it to cook some dishes for Thanksgiving. The house oven used at the same time as the Magic Chef would save some time.

Lothlorian
Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think it will be OK if you keep an eye on it.

Sometimes old thermostats will work fine once or twice, and then get stuck in the open position and overshoot the setpoint.

You don't want to burn the sweet potatoes!

If it works OK after four or five uses, then I think it is good forever.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
It is very obvious my Magic chef oven has never been used in my 73 Overlander. It still is new inside. I was not able to get it to fire up until I started reading the threads about starting one. It works great!!! My question is since it is 30 years old is there anything that I need to be worried about? We would like to use it to cook some dishes for Thanksgiving. The house oven used at the same time as the Magic Chef would save some time.

Lothlorian
The biggest cause for that wall oven to fail, is towing with lack of proper running gear balance.

Since the oven is over the axles, it can take a beating quickly.

Add to that, for example, if the axles are also bad, the oven will typically have a short life.

The real bad news, is that parts are no longer available for the wall mounted ovens.

Should the oven fail, a modification to the pilot and burner components would be necessary. That, in itself, is an invitation for disaster.

Never, ever, modify anything that has to do with LPG. A simple mistake, can cause many problems, including an explosion.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Mine is actually more accurate temperature-wise than the Kenmore in my stick house.

Just be sure and use small enough pans that there is some space between the pans and the sides of the oven or you'll get uneven cooking.

The broiler is so intense, though, that I never use it...

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Andy:

The beautiful thing about this trailer is I do not think it was pulled. When I bought it the tires were brand new and dry rotted. They had this set up for outside plumbing and it stayed put for years. I have only pulled it a couple of times.. I will replace the axels but I have not saved all the money I need. No more putting on credit card for me unless it is little stuff. all the tambor doors and latches now work. The vent for the stove did not have any grease. It had some wasp nest but that was it. The vent was clean as a whistle. The interior looks like brand new. We did some serious cleaning and fixed the vista windows black tank and she is looking good.

My goal is to do the axels before spring break.

Brian
Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Andy:

The beautiful thing about this trailer is I do not think it was pulled. When I bought it the tires were brand new and dry rotted. They had this set up for outside plumbing and it stayed put for years. I have only pulled it a couple of times.. I will replace the axels but I have not saved all the money I need. No more putting on credit card for me unless it is little stuff. all the tambor doors and latches now work. The vent for the stove did not have any grease. It had some wasp nest but that was it. The vent was clean as a whistle. The interior looks like brand new. We did some serious cleaning and fixed the vista windows black tank and she is looking good.

My goal is to do the axels before spring break.

Brian
Brian.

You have a "rare jewel." Congrats.

Check all the exterior gaskets. If they have never been replaced, then they are past due.

Check the entrance door gasket, screen door gasket, the window gaskets, access compartment gaskets, "AND," especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets. Those are good for about 5 years or so, and must be replaced to keep rain off the floor, where it's hidden. Usually the water pump valves after 25 years, would need replacing as well.

When you have the time and the extra funds, you can also update the exterior lighting with LED's.

Check for LPG leaks with a soapy spray. The ceiling lights should be milk white, not yellow. Also check the ceiling vent covers. If yours have a plastic center piece, those are well known leakers too.

Down the road, you may want to purchase a "service manual."

They are very informative should you wish to do your own repairs and maintenance.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Andy:

Thanks, but I have changed the gaskets and bought other stuff. All from you good man.

Brian
Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
as for stove venting, i am planning to install a stand=alone oven.
either below (most likley) or above the stove top burners..
I have questions about insulation and venting

the hole where the microwave was has lots of wires and
might not be a good place for anything that generates heat.

the space below currently has a handy huge drawer that
stores pots and pans, but the oven will probably go there,
as it is loser to the propane line.
rollin home is offline   Reply With Quote