Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Magic Chef Oven - wiring question

OK, I have done a very thorough search for the thermostat for our Magic Chef oven with no luck. It is the model BT22JA-4TVX-M3 and no appliance parts places (online, by phone or local shops) can get the part . It looks like we need to order a new model to our dismay since we put alot of work into the old one to clean it up.

My question is the old oven had 2 wires (red and white) that connected to it. Does anyone know (don't have a voltmeter handy) if these wires are DC or AC? I think they are DC since AC should be 3 wires with ground but not sure.

The newer Amana oven that will fit the cabinet has need for a 120V plug which, if the 2 wires are DC, will mean running a new line for AC under the cabinet.

Thanks for any responses.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Thermostat? Gas valve!

Can you post a picture of the part you need. I recently removed a Magic Chef Oven from my '74 Argosy. It's (the part you need) yours for the price of shipping if the one I have will work. Let me know. I don't know if it works, I remove the unit because of all the cosmetic problems with it.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Thanks Twinkie. That would be great if it is the same one. The picture below shows the part. It is the controls knob for the oven (the whole housing behind as well) and there is also a copper wire that runs across the stove pan and into the oven. It is all one piece. If the copper wire is broken, it is no good (that is why I took ours apart).

Circled in red:

This is the unit (be it in many pieces) minus the copper wire after taking it apart:
Proud to be Air #37137
Old 05-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Twinkie,
Actually, the wife and I talked it over and it is probably better to go ahead and bite the bullet and get a new oven. One reason is if we cut the countertop for the old one to hook it up to the gas and it still doesn't work, we may have too big of a hole in the countertop for a new one. Also, since it is working with gas, a new one will be safer than one 30 years old. We had been looking at a new Magic Chef for $299 and an Amana for $399 that is close to the same size. We really appreciate the offer though.

If anyone needs parts from our Magic Chef, you can have them for the price of shipping. Most of it is in really good shape since we renovated it (the broiler pan will stay with us though). The porceline top is in excellent shape, the burners on top were re-painted with high heat paint and we have all of the burner clips, the grill tray thing inside was wire-brushed so rust free, the original handle is in good shape but is plastic.

Proud to be Air #37137
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You are welcome. It looks like the same gas valve/thermostat as the one in my oven. I don't see the 2 wires you were refering to either. If there is someone out there that takes your unit, I will have this one around here for a while, but not forever. It also has pretty good looking burner tubes.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:41 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Camino , CA
I need parts for my vintage magic chef stove too!
Maggieoknapp is offline   Reply With Quote