Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
College Station , Texas
Magic Chef blast furnace

We just bought our first Airstream and got it home a few days ago. It's a 2002 Safari 27. We can't wait to get it on the road. We've been checking all the systems, and the oven has thrown us for a loop. Lighting the pilot went just like the book said, but then when I turned the knob to get the main burner going a really big, billowing flame pushed out from under the shelf that's just above the burner. And this was with the knob just turned to "warm." When I turned it up to 250 and above, it got even worse. The flame made an instant sooty deposit on the bottom of the shelf and on the door when I closed it. Also, the book says that when you turn the knob there should be a delay of up to 45 seconds before the main burner comes on. With ours, there was an instant flame-up as soon as the knob was turned. I have not checked the gas pressure, but if it means anything, the top burners, the furnace, and the water heater all seem to be working perfectly. After reading some of the other threads, I did find the adjusting screw that's behind the oven knob and managed to reduce the flow of gas. However, this only seems to delay the problem until a higher temperature is dialed in on the knob. Right now when I turn the knob I have nothing but pilot light until I get to about 300, then the big flame kicks in. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
mddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Maybe, maybe not.

Hi, I have read that on some ovens, the gas tube from the control valve to the oven burner has cracked or broken completely off. I would check for this situation before going any further. Could be dangerous. I personally haven't had this problem, But keep it in mind if it ever happens on my trailer's oven.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Blast = bad!

Whenever I hear blast associated with a propane appliance, it gives me cause for pause.
Did you receive an AS owner's manual/gray (aluminum) color binder? There should be a Magic Chef manual in this binder that provides service contact information for Magic Chef. Contact them with the stove model number & explain the problem - never know, there may be a warranty recall issue.

Whatever you do, best to get someone in the know to take a look at the problem. Several years ago, we attended an AS rally where one of the trailers was experiencing a similar problem with their Magic Chef oven; they too had been attempting to adjust the flame. One evening, we were gathered outside their trailer for a small pot-luck, sitting around munching on appetizers & sipping wine. Suddenly, we heard a "whoosh" punctuated by a shriek - our host emerged from his trailer with wide eyes, singed hair & missing his eyebrows. When lighting the oven to cook his evening's contribution to the meal, his oven flamed up & blasted out at him.

When it comes to malfunctioning propane appliances, especially ones that blast, it's probably prudent to have someone in the know inspect & diagnose the problem.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
College Station , Texas
Thanks for the replies. This morning we decided to drop the AS off at a local repair shop to have this problem checked out. I don't mind doing a few light repairs myself, but this is one we decided to leave to a professional.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Thumbs up Good Call!

We, like you, prefer to do as many repairs ourselves. However, there are some things best left to the pros!

Keep us posted as to the final diagnosis.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Sounds like a leak to me, lucky to find it without disaster. Have the professional show you how it lights before you leave the shop.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Blast Furnace

mddsmithMagic Chef blast furnace

Had the same problem in my oven. Photo shows the culprit. Broken gas line. I called Magic Chef, part is readily available. New line came with connectors on both ends, easy installation.
TB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02334.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	90073  
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
College Station , Texas
Tinbender, I think you hit the nail on the head! That looks exactly like what I'm seeing. And your photo is a good illustration of what ROBERTSUNRUS was talking about. I'm going to wait and see what price the repair guy quotes me. If it sounds reasonable, I'll let him do it. That way I can relax and know it's done correctly. If it sounds high, or if he tells me I need a whole new stove, I'll follow your example and tackle it myself, even though it might place my eyebrows in peril!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mddsmith View Post
Tinbender, tackle it myself, even though it might place my eyebrows in peril!
Don't turn it on with a lit cigarette

With gas off at tank, no danger, as soon as you turn on gas, check all lines with soapy water, turn on burners first to bring gas to stove, check for leaks at worked area and then try stove. Eyebrows would be minor compared to the potential gas can do.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
West Vancover , British Columbia
I have the same problem. How do I find out whether anything is being done about a recall?
hiljon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I also found this problem on an ORIGINAL install Magic Chef in a 1964 GT trailer. The gas line breaks from vibration. Also, the gas line is very short and is in a tight location.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote