Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #1

Elkins , Arkansas
Magic Chef 1965 318 oven won’t light.

Hi I’m new and would be so grateful for some help. I’m working on a Magic Chef 1965 3 burner cook stove model 318. It appears to be in good shape, nothing I can see missing, excessively rusty or dirty, or pinched. The range worked well without any work whatsoever. But I can’t get the oven to light or even seem as though gas is getting to it. I’ve had a 50s vintage stove, but not a 60s RV stove, and I don’t really even know what I’m looking for. I’ve looked for other forums and manuals but nothing seems like it fits my model. I’m inclined to believe that maybe there’s an adjustment I’m overlooking. The only shutoff I see is the B valve under the range which is vertical with the line, so I assume on. Turns off an on easily. I’ve taken the oven knob off and there’s a screw but I couldn’t tell that it did anything. On the model label it says for please gas which is what I’m using.
I would appreciate any help, diagrams, or input.
Thanks so much in advance
Kaycocondery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Mine won't light either in a 67.
From what I've read on these forums there is a part that goes bad in them. + It is no longer available.
I made a nice shelf & the oven became storage.
It's hard to imagine baking something while camping. Especially when the out of doors is so close.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
It is likely that the thermocouple is worn out. The thermocouple makes sure that the pilot light is on before letting gas flow to the oven "burner". You should be able to replace this with a current day device. I would remove it from the oven and take it to a mom-and-pop appliance store. Maybe the web. You might have to drill new mounting holes. Here is a replacement I found online that might be adaptable. https://www.easyapplianceparts.com/P...0Range%20Parts
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
oven pilot light

The thermocouple is not the likely culprit in this situation. In these Magic Chef units, the pilot light lights another pilot light that then heats the thermocouple. In this case, the first pilot is not lighting so the thermocouple is not in play.

There is a pilot system shut-off located under the stovetop. Open-hinged stove top. Just inside the cabinet behind the exterior control knobs, you will find a 1/2" dia. brass ball valve. This slotted valve needs to be turned 90* to open. Then light the pilot light. It may take 30 seconds for the gas to move through the small dia, aluminum tubing to the pilot. After the pilot has been lit it also takes 1/2 to one minute for the system to light the burner after turning the temperature control knob.

Be sure to turn off the ball valve under the stove top because the system has no autopilot light gas shut off. If the pilot goes out the gas to the pilot will not shut off automatically.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags