Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
I’m done with this cheap thing! How many $ for .....

I’m less than impressed...FARRRRRRR less...with this thing.

Has anyone replaced this thing with the new one being installed in the more expensive Airstreams? How much should I anticipate “out the door” (new one including labor)? First photo is what I want. Am I trading one piece of poo for another piece of poo?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5335.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	328288Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5334.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	328286Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5333.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	328287
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Obviously you get a different look with the second unit than what you have. The cover on the second one folds up in a "nicer" way. (if you have a cover on yours). Past that - what are you expecting the second one to do?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Obviously you get a different look with the second unit than what you have. The cover on the second one folds up in a "nicer" way. (if you have a cover on yours). Past that - what are you expecting the second one to do?

Bob

I’m unsure right now 🤪 So this is my temporary solution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5336.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	328290
Old 11-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Austin , TX
LOL. I have no answers but I’m curious why you consider yours to be a piece of poo.
JohnnyAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAustin View Post
LOL. I have no answers but I’m curious why you consider yours to be a piece of poo.

I disassemble one component to get to get to the thermocoupler, but then another component has to be disconnected, and then I unknowingly disassembled the cover...in the process the 3 “tube things” on the cooktop disassembled themselves...🤪[emoji85]. It’s probably not the piece of poo anymore than the idiot (me) that is not technically inclined.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Friends of ours that have your "2nd one" in their Classic hate that stove top because the thin little spikes that hold pots and pans are not very stable.

Those stove tops (your 'first' one) are a little tricky to remove. Take the cover off. Then take off the grates, watch for the rubber grommets. The burners must be twisted off (about 1/8th turn, not much) and then the igniter wires need to be removed. Leave the white gaskets in place while pushing the top straight back. Those 'tubes' are held in by a spring clip the allows them to move. You have to clear two tabs on the front and then the top will lift off. There are two spring clips on the rear of the top that hold it in place.

If all else fails option two, temporary solution, looks good!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Can't go wrong with a marine type stove / oven. Some have cutting boards that fit on top of the burners.

https://thewikihow.com/video_avULjNB3DsU

https://www.defender.com/category.js...204&id=2276205

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

I’ve done the retrofit twice now swapping the stove you have for the new dometic cu-434. First time was with a new counter top, that was easier because the new countertop was cut to size for the new stove, which is smaller than the original one.

The second time was a drop in replacement for the stove you have above. Stove was about $850. Labor was about 4 hours or so @ $140/h. They had to do a lot of custom trim and had to cut back the countertop to make it look like it came from the factory, nothing was square and the countertop has a notched cut out on the front leading edge. Several pieces of custom stainless steel were fabricated along with a couple pieces of custom laminate.

Here is the end result - I’m very happy, much better range. Electric start oven is handy. Gives you more countertop space too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0108.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	328297  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
I’m unsure right now 🤪 So this is my temporary solution.

Attachment 328290
Hi

That's an awfully small glass ..... .... and there's only one bottle ...

If the main issue is how the stove is built, the other one is made the same basic way. If you have a performance issue with the stove, I suspect the "other one" does hold temperature a bit better. It's still not what you would get in the oven in your home kitchen.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:

Has anyone replaced this thing with the new one being installed in the more expensive Airstreams? How much should I anticipate “out the door” (new one including labor)? First photo is what I want. Am I trading one piece of poo for another piece of poo?Attachment 328288Attachment 328286Attachment 328287
I have one of these twist lock stoves by A.....the twist locks are junk..screws keep comming out...burned the wires up....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
Happy Camper

2018 30' Classic
Flat Rock , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to nipperguy
The Dometic is better built but the oven cavity is smaller, if that’s important to you.
nipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
We just swapped out our microwave convection option for this set up. Works beautifully, Double my counter space. Holds true temperature. Can bake two casseroles at once. Very happy with the automatic pilot also .
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
No Perfect Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I’ve done the retrofit twice now swapping the stove you have for the new dometic cu-434. First time was with a new counter top, that was easier because the new countertop was cut to size for the new stove, which is smaller than the original one.

The second time was a drop in replacement for the stove you have above. Stove was about $850. Labor was about 4 hours or so @ $140/h. They had to do a lot of custom trim and had to cut back the countertop to make it look like it came from the factory, nothing was square and the countertop has a notched cut out on the front leading edge. Several pieces of custom stainless steel were fabricated along with a couple pieces of custom laminate.

Here is the end result - I’m very happy, much better range. Electric start oven is handy. Gives you more countertop space too.
I have latter in our Pendleton and I dislike the rubber grommets. They aren’t very durable. The few times we’ve used the oven it’s worked just OKAY. The racks become stuck once heated up. My frozen pizza flipped off the back when I yanked on the rack and landed up side down on the element. Much cursing and a little cleanup. May have been the Universe telling me something about eating Pizza late at night.
Plus I’ve had to put a small amount of glue on the screws that hold the sides to the counter.
I don’t want to nitpick but it seems like you have to be a handyman to own an Airstream.
MarkFinATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
We replaced ours (like the 2nd one) with the same cook-top and a convection oven-micro wave. We seldom boondock, where a gas oven might be nice. We never used the oven... before the replacement, and carried a microwave around with us. It was used every day, in campgrounds. We love the new cooktop-microwave-convection oven arrangement.
Note: if others are doing this, and you still want a gas oven, you might look to find a used stove-oven. We sold ours to the dealer ... cheap. I noticed, on an other visit that they wanted almost $500 for it. On the next visit, we noticed it was sold and gone. Ours was basically like new. Also, parts are available, if there is any wear showing. D
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
We understand the oven thing. However when asked about an oven in our 2017 classic, we looked at each other and went for the added drawers/storage. The cook top for boiling water. 99.9% of the time we cook outside while enjoying the wine. Why smell up the inside? The convection MW works great for our needs.

Be well, best regards, and safe travels.
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #16
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Everyone is different. We use our oven all the time and find that it works well. Don’t like the idea of baking in a microwave. We also converted the hall closet into a pantry to solve the storage challenge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	328374  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:

Has anyone replaced this thing with the new one being installed in the more expensive Airstreams? How much should I anticipate “out the door” (new one including labor)? First photo is what I want. Am I trading one piece of poo for another piece of poo?Attachment 328288Attachment 328286Attachment 328287
We did a total reno/rebuild of our 1964 Overlander and we bought the Dometic CU-434 and had it installed in the new cabinetry I designed and built. I love it, especially the flat glass cover.
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #18
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
the rubber grommets

the rubber grommets suck, and have you looked at the price they want for replacements? we have a temp monitor to check the oven temp and it is actually pretty close, but of course doesn't cook as evenly as I would want, just have to figure out how to use it. would like to find some rubber grommets, if anyone has a cheaper source. the burners on the range top do a nice job, but even the smallest burner is a little too hot for simmering, but all in all we use it a lot and it works fine
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Denver , Colorado
I agree

We have the same issue. The stove has been back in for warranty work 4-5 times now; I’ve lost count. I have never had all 3 burners work. The insulation has rubbed off of my wires. The asbestos washers to prevent flame blowouts were not installed. The hinge on the cover has broken so that is out of commission and a new one couldn’t be ordered until it was visually inspected; so that requires another return to the dealer to change it out. I am mechanically inclined, but this is ridiculous. This is just my experience with the stove since purchasing this 2018 unit at the end of June. Don’t even get me started on all of the other issues...
RChrisClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Buy whatever Switz has in his two trailers.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote