Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Question How do I refurbish my Magic Chef?

While I have my oven out while cabinets are being installed I would like to have it 'spiffed up'. Actually, it is the stove top and cover that need help. The oven itself is in pretty good shape. Who would I look for to do this? I am at a loss... Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Pam,
Depends on teh finish, of course.
If it is the stainless finish, then you can sand the cover in one direction with 220 sandpaper, and give it a fresh brushed look. Did this on the stove cover on my 1971 TradeWind, and it worked like a charm. The grates could be powdercoated, and teh cover underneath could be cleaned and polished, or chromed.
But, not knowing what your stove's finish consists of makes suggestions difficult.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks Uwe!

It sounds like I could sand the cover and make it nice. I have read in other threads about 'powdercoating', but I don't know what that is.... the grates on my stove are black, underneath that is silver (stainless?) and the cover is stainless. BTW, this is an original Magic Chef in a 1974 Tradewind. Thanks for your reply... Pam
Old 01-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Pam,

Powdercoating is a process in which the colored maerial is applied to the work piece inside a large heated enclosure, and then baked onto the metal.
I don't remember if it is actually powder anymore, but it used to be. The work piece is electrically charged, and the material has the opposite charge, so that it adheres quite well.

Sounds like you have mostly stainless surfaces to work with.
You can take the dirty or corroded parts off and start with a good cleaning, then decide what finish you want.
Stainless steel can be polished to a very high sheen. It might be worthwhile to look for a polishig outfit in your area and consult them.
You can brush-finish all the parts, but it might be hard to do inside the contours of the burner cover.
You can have the pieces chromed as well, it looks really nice and is easy to clean.
Before dropping energy and money on the stove, make sure it is functioning as advertised.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Uwe, I am sorry to be dense.... but if I want to have it chromed or powdercoated, who would I look for in the Yellow Pages? I know I am not going to do any of this myself, so I would like to know who does this kind of work. Thanks for helping me with this... Oh, and the stove work nicely! Pam
Old 01-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
Uwe, I am sorry to be dense.... but if I want to have it chromed or powdercoated, who would I look for in the Yellow Pages? I know I am not going to do any of this myself, so I would like to know who does this kind of work. Thanks for helping me with this... Oh, and the stove work nicely! Pam
Chrome:
Yahoo! Yellow Pages

Powdercoating:

Yahoo! Yellow Pages

Appliance refinishing:

Yahoo! Yellow Pages

Metal Polishing:

Yahoo! Yellow Pages

Scroll down, there's more entries than the top two.
Nothing dense about your questions.
I do not know any of these service poroviders personally, but this should get you going in the right direction. Use care and discretion whenever you contract out your parts to be redone. Ask to look at a sample of their work, and if that's not available, ask for references.

Good Luck!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thumbs up Thanks again!

I really appreciate the time you invested. You have been a huge help and I will start making some phone calls!!! Pam
Old 01-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I thought it was recently asserted that these parts from the stoves of this era aren't actually "stainless steel", but nickel plated, and therefore, polishing wouldn't help. and perhaps (can't recall specifically) restoration isn't really practical. at least, for the pitted areas I have on mine.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
You're welcome, Pamela.
If you look closely at the oven door, then you will see screws and hardware that allows you to take the outer cover off the stainless door, so you can get that part spiffed up as well.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I thought it was recently asserted that these parts from the stoves of this era aren't actually "stainless steel", but nickel plated, and therefore, polishing wouldn't help. and perhaps (can't recall specifically) restoration isn't really practical. at least, for the pitted areas I have on mine.
chuck,

I never tried polishing my ugly stove pieces. I went to town with a straight sanding block and 220 grit paper. I dug deep enough to get rid of the corrosion, did the oven door and the stove top cover, but not the burner cover. This was when I had the 1971 TradeWind. I do not know if the stoves/ovens were all the same during the 70's. I am pretty sure that my metal was stainless. It was a bear to sand, i remember that.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Pam -

My wife has a garden shop in Lake Oswego. She has had a number of (outdoor) metal sculpture pieces powder coated at a place in Portland, and has liked their quality and service. They are a few miles east of Delta Park in an industrial area.

Color FX
7561 NE 33rd Drive
Portland

Good luck with your project -

Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Pam - One other option you might consider is a wooden cover for the stove. The cover on my stove was pretty far gone so I removed it and replaced it with a wooden cover from Camping World. They look like butcher block and have adjustable rubber feet underneath that fit right into each burner grate so it self-centers and doesn't wiggle around. I needed the extra counter space it provides. Of course you have to remove it to use the stove and allow the stove to cool before you replace it, but for me it was a good solution.

Update your RV with the lastest furnishings and appliances. - Camping World
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP9K
Pam - One other option you might consider is a wooden cover for the stove. The cover on my stove was pretty far gone so I removed it and replaced it with a wooden cover from Camping World. They look like butcher block and have adjustable rubber feet underneath that fit right into each burner grate so it self-centers and doesn't wiggle around. I needed the extra counter space it provides. Of course you have to remove it to use the stove and allow the stove to cool before you replace it, but for me it was a good solution.

Update your RV with the lastest furnishings and appliances. - Camping World
Hey Thanks, I looked through the options at Camping World and they have quite a few that would work. Great idea for the top! Pam
Old 01-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Better refurbing through chemicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
...I never tried polishing my ugly stove pieces. I went to town with a straight sanding block and 220 grit paper. I dug deep enough to get rid of the corrosion ...
I soaked my chrome-plated cook top components in oxalic acid (aka wood bleach) to get rid of the corrosion. After that, the cooktop's lid was wiped with Bondo to fill in the pits before spraying primer & pewter-colored paint.

It has held up well. Come to the Texas Vintage Rally at the end of this month if you would like to see it.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Pamela,
As for the powder coating; the material used for powder coating is actually a 'plastic' material (I'm keeping it simple here) that sticks to the item sprayed, as uwe said, it is electrically charged to make it stick all over, Then it is heated in an oven for a specific period of time until it melts or flows together, giving the item a slick coating. I have one of these machines in the small version. I would not recommend powdercoating the grills or anything that would have flame on it of anysignificance as powdercoating will scorch, and even if it doesn't scorch, it will craze or crack when exposed to greater than curing heat, which will allow corrosion to form underneath and then they will be in bad shape again.You possibly could still buy new grills, or check on having them porcelain coated.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
Pamela,
As for the powder coating; the material used for powder coating is actually a 'plastic' material (I'm keeping it simple here) that sticks to the item sprayed, as uwe said, it is electrically charged to make it stick all over, Then it is heated in an oven for a specific period of time until it melts or flows together, giving the item a slick coating. I have one of these machines in the small version. I would not recommend powdercoating the grills or anything that would have flame on it of anysignificance as powdercoating will scorch, and even if it doesn't scorch, it will craze or crack when exposed to greater than curing heat, which will allow corrosion to form underneath and then they will be in bad shape again.You possibly could still buy new grills, or check on having them porcelain coated.
Thanks for the thoughts, I took a closer look today at the grills and I think they are in okay enough shape that I can just clean them real good. Especially since the other options sound rather difficult. The rest is stainless... the 'pan' under the grills is quite pitted like the cover. It has been suggested that I could have them replated with chrome. I will look into the local places that Ewe researched for me when the holiday weekend is over. You guys are great! Now I am going to start bothering people about electrical stuff....
Old 01-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
... It has been suggested that I could have them replated with chrome...
Keep in mind that the chrome plating process will only coat the existing surface with chrome. If any pits are present, the process will not fill them in - the pits will still be present in the final product.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Clackamas , Oregon
There is a fellow in Gresham "Refininshing by Tim," I believe is the name, he quoted me 60.00 to re-do my stove top, light rust. David
pfefferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfefferd
There is a fellow in Gresham "Refininshing by Tim," I believe is the name, he quoted me 60.00 to re-do my stove top, light rust. David
I tried someone in Gresham I thought was the right guy and he said 'no' to a re-do. I am frustrated cuz my Magic Chef is fine, it is just cosmetically challanged. Now that I will have new cabinets and counter top it will feel like an ugly duckling. I can't believe there is not anywhere to take this to be fixed up. I could buy a new one, but I really like this one.

Anyone? Pam
Old 04-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Pam, The stove top has a stainless steel top. The pot support peices most likely are enameled steel. The stainless steel can not be chrome plated as the rust pits would make an attrocious mess. It could be painted, yet would not look right.
I understand you like your unit. You very possibly could buy a stainless top from a recycler- Colaws comes to mid as well as others. Either trailer life or motorhome magizine had an article within the last two years listing several trailer bone yards. If you find the top, it would be an easy 15 minute swap.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote