Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
gas

I have removed the oven in our 75 international. I use the stovetop often, and mcrowave too. We have an electric toaster oven for browning things, and a toaster. I work on and remodel airstreams. and a 40 year old gas oven is just not a good Idea. just my 2 cents... Richard in Texas
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #22
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Very much a personal/family choice on food preparation. This is my 2d Airstream. My 28' Intl was delivered with the microwave/convection and cooktop (no thermal oven). I ended up putting an oven in it. I hated the Sharp microwave/convection as it was very difficult to use -- at least for me. I replaced it with a Cuisinart microwave and used both the thermal oven and the microwave frequently. My new Classic came with a microwave/convection and a cooktop/thermal. I just replaced the microwave with a Panasonic which uses an inverter to power the magnetron rather than the usual on/off pulse cooking system. Works very well. Since I added a 30amp inverter, I can (and do) use the microwave while boon docking, or even at lunch at a rest stop. We eat virtually all our meals in the Airstream, and have cooked for 6 people with a fair amount of ease. Not having a means to bake or microwave would be a huge loss...but again, what's great about the Airstream is that it is readily customized to PERSONAL choice.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
I've camped for over 50 years and owned a lot of campers. I have used the microwave inside but never the stove or oven indoor. I set up an awning and camp kitchen outdoors.
I think the lingering odors indoors would be unacceptable.
I have just finished a Remodel of a 22'er and took out the stove... I love it! I use this Rv for shorter trips. And cooking outside is part of the experience
I'm about to start the remodel of my 30'er and will leave it in, for the time being... I plan to use this RV for extended trips...
Make it your own...
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #24

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Savannah , Georgia
Every time we go camping! Our gas oven and cooktop have never been used. We grill out and I travel with a single burner induction cooktop for side dishes. Use the oven for storage like another cabinet. Wish American mfg. would get on the bandwagon with convection microwaves and induction cooktops across the board. No one enjoys the gas. Even a Sharp microwave drawer would be better!
PN Lavely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We love cooking real meals while camping, including using the oven. Still works great, warm biscuits for breakfast mmmmmmmmmm
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
We currently have a stove in our 1979. The plan with the 1950 will be gas cooktop with a microwave/convection oven underneath. I would opt for just the cooktop but my better half says convection oven is a must and since she does most of the cooking, it's her call.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
For about the first year, I only used the oven to make toast. Then I went on an outing with a friend who baked zucchini bread in his oven, which tasted and smelled so good! After being blown off several times, he finally sent me his recipe for zucchini bread, which I have since made for others, to raves. This is from a guy whose only use of ovens was to heat TV dinners before the invention of microwave ovens. So you never know.... P.S. My wife has never used the Airstream oven for anything; probably her revolt against using the oven in the house so much.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Folly Beach , South Carolina
I don't know 'bout you but this Southern boy must have cornbread.
Crowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Folly Beach , South Carolina
I beg your pardon, mine is over 50 years old and works great
Crowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittenstiehl View Post
ole81

tongue on cheek....if you only use the firepit or microwave how many dishes can you have that need a dishwasher.....

On a serious note several here have put in dishwashers and love them.
lots and lots of wine glasses from the partying

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:41 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
I used the cooktop once the 1st year I had my Airstream and that was to boil water. The 2nd year I made scrambled eggs. The 3rd year I ventured to light the oven - didn't make anything but lit it up. The 4th year I went crazy and cooked up several feasts - quite fun actually - reminded me of the 'Easy Bake Oven' Days. I was going to take it out at first but now I'm glad I didn't. Now that I have more time to cook I will enjoy using it. If you're sure your cooking style isn't going to change - take it out! I'm sure your remodel will be beautiful and you will find another buyer who will appreciate it. If I liked the trailer I would buy it with or without stove and with so many cooking options available - make it work out just fine. They won't have to worry about cleaning a used oven!
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Mine is currently in the shop having the oven/range taken out and replaced with a dishwasher/range on top. Of course I'm holding onto the oven/range just in case if I decide to sell down the road someone wants it. Though, since to me it seems really only boondockers care about gas appliances, it's a moot point my RV as I've installed a solar array that can easily handle the induction range-top, refrigerator, TV's, and even the microwave all at the same time. The only thing I cannot run without the genset is my AC...but I'm hoping one day even that can be ran off solar.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:53 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Thumbs down Have you ever considered totally removing the stove/oven

BAB,

Would you mind sharing more info, such as brand, purchase place, cost & ease of upgrading to the 30 amp inverter you installed that powers your oven when boondocking?

TY

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
I use one propane ( 1 pound bottle ) and one kerosene Coleman. Coleman makes a fold open oven to rest on the grates. Can use either/both inside or out. Also these stay folded and stored until needed. Frees up counter space for other tasks. I also use a "turkey fryer" for woc cooking. My 1958 22' Caravanner came with a bulky and heavy stove.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #35

Santa Barbara , California
We have a stovetop with microwave underneath. Never use the microwave. Did buy a small Breville toaster oven and keep it stored under the bed and bring it out when needed. We can power it with our 2000 generator when not attached to shore power. This oven is the best, I have the large on at home and use it for baking all the time.
Shoudawouda is offline   Reply With Quote