Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
Gas oven or convection

I am looking to order an Airstream. I am torn in going with the Gas oven or convection? I know the benefits of the convection but that only be used if on shore power. Not sure the percentage of boondocking va
Plug in places. Really debating hard on this one.

Opnions?
Charliepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Is this your first RV? Are you an oven user?. We never use our oven (maybe twice in over 30 years?). Our Globetrotter came with a gas oven and no microwave. We ended up buying a small Black and Decker microwave for $80 at Target and keep it on the dinette table. We use that all the time. We thought about pulling out the gas oven and putting a microwave in there, but this solution works so far for us. Most commenters on the forum here don't think very much of the convection oven.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Really depends how you go camping. If you boondock a lot, then the oven is best, if you glamp a lot, then convection if that's your pref. Me, I like my oven. I used it often. Not the best oven I've ever used, but, it's an RV not a gourmet restaurant. Does the job.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliepc View Post
I am looking to order an Airstream. I am torn in going with the Gas oven or convection? I know the benefits of the convection but that only be used if on shore power. Not sure the percentage of boondocking va
Plug in places. Really debating hard on this one.

Opnions?
Hi

Which AS are you looking at? Some allow you to have both. Some no longer give you a choice (as of 2022). The ovens (both gas and electric ) change model to model. Some are more useful than others.

I think we used the convection feature on the microwave once and gave up on it. The gas stove does a better job. We use it a lot. We do use the microwave feature from time to time.

If you are off grid, the microwave / convection is useless without a generator. The gas stove / gas oven works anywhere.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Agreed gas oven for boondocking we have convection
WHUDS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have shore power, there are a lot of kitchen appliances that beat the convection microwave on utility and / or performance. A Breville toaster oven is a much better pick for a lot of things.....

Lots of choices

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
Our 27’ has both a regular MW and an oven.

Have used the oven quite extensively, especially when not on shore power (probably 1/3 of our nights in CA have been boondocking). Have had success making pizza, baking bread, cooking bacon, and more in it.

Important point: you can’t use trays that don’t allow good air circulation. The provided drip tray has holes punched around it for a reason.
XCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
We use our gas oven a lot. Baked potatoes, breakfast rolls, coffee cakes too. We would like to have a microwave but only on rare occasions. Simply do not want to carry extra "stuff" when we go camping. No drip coffee makers, portable microwaves or toasters, no sir.
The best advice so far has been to think about how you like to camp. That will answer it for you.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:31 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Is this your first RV? Are you an oven user?. We never use our oven (maybe twice in over 30 years?). Our Globetrotter came with a gas oven and no microwave. We ended up buying a small Black and Decker microwave for $80 at Target and keep it on the dinette table. We use that all the time. We thought about pulling out the gas oven and putting a microwave in there, but this solution works so far for us. Most commenters on the forum here don't think very much of the convection oven.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, first trailer
Charliepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:24 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
We donít have a generator (yet). When weíre on the road, we sometimes stop in Rest Areas and itís sure nice to have a warm meal after a day of driving. Iím really glad our FC 27FB came with a conventional RV stove and oven.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliepc View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes, first trailer
If you have not already done so, I'd suggest joining the irv2.com forums too. They cover lots of general trailer and RV topics not necessarily Airstream specific. It's a good source of info. People are a bit feistier there, but generally helpful and friendly.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
In our previous RV, we used the oven every day. It took us a while to get used to how the convection MW works in our new International. That being said, it just takes getting used to. We only occasionally boondock so it was worth it for us to have the extra pantry space. I acquired a small generator this year so if we need to use the oven for dinner or breakfast, we can or just throw it on the grill.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Be prepared for a lot of mixed feedback on this topic. Quite often, we like to bake scones, bread, cookies, pizza, etc. Electric ovens offer a more even heat than propane which is why we use a 50amp gourmet double oven at home. Until I figured out how to use the conv/micro, I really disliked it. Now, I prefer it and wouldn’t go back to the propane option. Once you figure it out, (my opinion) it’s worth the consistent heat and extra drawer space saved having two units in one. Depending on your travel habits, a generator may be required. For $12, Amazon sells a great oven rack for cooking 12” pizzas in the conv/micro.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Not normal....?

We have a microwave that's great for keeping pastry & bread fresh and an oven thats great for keeping bread & pastry fresh, although the oven has been used for oven things at times, not so for the micro.

Disclaimer...one hand is all thats needed in counting the # of times we have "camped" on SP.
YMMV

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:49 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
There is no right or wrong answer here; the best option depends upon your lifestyle. We opted for the convection microwave because we do not bake breads, muffins, etc. and only use the oven for roasting items such as fish, chicken, etc. If we are boondocking, we use the Weber grill instead. No regrets on our choice.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We didnít have a choice on oven type when we bought new in 2014. The micro/convection oven works great if you keep the handy tip sheet instructions at the ready. But if ours ever breaks, weíre definitely replacing with propane oven!
The dealership we purchased from upgraded all their inventory with convection- micro ovensÖ..donít know why.
As it was our first RV, we didnít think to request another preference as they were generous with 20% off.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Hartwell , Georgia
I used my microwave convection oven all the time. Having a gas stovetop did everything else. If boondocking I could turn on my generator for convection oven or hotpot usage. I would have like the gas oven, but likely would not have used it often.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Had both over 4 ASs. MW/
Convection is used way more...MW of course...baked potatoes, popcorn, reheating meals. Convection is great if you take the ti.e to understand directions. Just like our home "dual fuel" gourmet gas cook top with convection oven. Using the gas oven will heat up your AS.. both have plusses/minuses.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
No right or wrong answer. We have both. Microwave is solely used to store Tupperware, oven gets used all the time.
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
I would go with the convection oven. It came with my new International which is basically the same as the Flying Cloud with more upgrades. I'm told that running a gas oven on hot days is something you want to avoid. So far I've yet to try my convection, but I can't imagine missing having a gas oven for any reason I can think of.
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote