Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Exhaust fan for convection microwave.

Hello,
When we had our kitchen wall replaced we discarded the original underpowered convection microwave and replaced it with a microwave only unit. We'd like to have oven capability (think fresh bread) so I purchased a small convection microwave.

I know they can radiate a good bit of heat and I have been thinking about how to deal with that. I'd like to vent it somehow. It will be installed adjacent to the refrigerator so I could access the refrigerator vent. Is there a safe way to do this? Maybe with a flapper in the vent and a fan that runs when the oven is on?

I'd love some ideas/suggestions.

TIA

Guy

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
If it were me, I'd simply set my mini-convection oven on top of the stove and use the exhaust hood vent fan to remove most of the heat and steam generated. If you were going to use the convection oven daily then doing up a separate vent system is worthwhile, but for occasional use? Not worth it, IMNSHO.

Most convection microwaves I am familiar with already have an internal fan and an external vent on the rear to relieve pressure and vent steam. Perhaps you could cobble together a snorkel for the unit using sheet metal for the collector box and stainless steel marine exhaust tubing into the refrigerator vent. If the outlet of the collector were fitted with a 110 volt duct fan and wired to a switch controlled duplex outlet serving as the supply for the convection oven then you'd have a set-up pretty much as you wished. The duct fan should be available from Grainger's or similar industrial supply. The biggest problem I have is the expense. Better to have purchased a unit designed for exterior venting right from the get go than to go to the trouble and expense of reinventing the wheel , so to speak.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Wil,
Thanks for the suggestion. My main concern with the approach you outline is if I need a valve to preclude the possibility of refrigerator combustion gas getting into the cabinet and then the living space?

Regarding the purchase of a unit designed for external venting, the space available is very restricted, it is 22" wide, 12" tall, and 15" to 20" deep because of the curve of the MH.

I was not able to find a unit that would fit in this space which was intended to be built in and connected to a vent.

Regarding you suggestion to place the unit on the stove when in use, I don't think that would work for us. It's not unusual for us to use the stove and microwave while preparing a meal. My wife wouldn't be able to lift the unit in and out of the compartment it would be stored in (they're heavier than a microwave), and she wouldn't like having to ask me to move it for her whenever she wanted to use it (or the stove).

Your idea of plugging a fan into a switched outlet will be easy since the microwave outlet is already switched (The rig has an Air Conditioner/Microwave switch).

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Makes sense - look for a used, working bathroom vent fan for a source of parts. They are usually the smallest sized vent hose. Good luck!

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Here it is

I bought a small bathroom exhaust fan with an integral flapper valve and ducted it to the refrigerator duct:

Click image for larger version

Name:	newFan1 (Small).jpg
Views:	3205
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	70681

Name:	newFan2 (Small).jpg
Views:	492
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	70682

Then installed the convection microwave

Name:	microwaveConvection (Small) (2).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	70683

and adjacent cabinet doors

Name:	PA180077 (Small).JPG
Views:	585
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	70686

The exhaust fan and convection microwave are plugged into an outlet which is controlled by an AC/Microwave switch. When this switch is in the 'AC' position the outlet is dead, when it is in the 'Microwave' position the exhaust fan runs and there is power to the microwave.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Looking good!

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3