Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Dometic 3-Burner Pan Grids

We have a new-to-us 2018 Classic M30 which came equipped with the Dometic CU 423 cooktop only (no range). We're find that our pots do not set securely on the pan grids and actually will shift/move with the 'slightest" of touch such that we're starting to investigate changing the pan grids (if possible) or the entire cooktop.

Anyone else experienced this, i.e. pots slipping, not stable when placed on the thin wire Dometic cooktop pan grids? If Yes, what solution did you find if any?
Old 01-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Dometic cooktop upgrade - furrion grates

Purchased from e-Trailer and installed today; perfect LxWxH fitment.

The burner tangs are slightly off center as the grates are made by Furrion for their stovetops (Dometic does not offer such) but all the same, they (burners) will work fine. No more pot slippage was the objective. (pls, refer to photo)

Installation was easy. Removed the 3 screws that mount the Dometic stovetop (only) to the countertopping on one side, slid the grates into place and replaced the screws - done.

Have also ordered some stainless 1/4" hole caps to place into the holes for the former camping stove type pot supports (12 in total).

Glass top opens/closes as before, no interference. Easy upgrade.

Note 1: we do not have the stove/oven combo, only the cooktop with 3-drawers below.

Note 2: cannot attest that the Furrion grates will work on any other model Dometic cooktop or the stove/oven combo so if considering something like this, please do your own due diligence and take precise measurements before ordering them).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furrion Grates in Dometic cooktop.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	386376
Old 01-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #3

2021 27' Globetrotter
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Hey Rick,

How did you remove the wire grate that were on there?
Davelange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Lacey , Washington
Dometic Grates

Rick,
I have the same complaint with the same Dometic 3-burner range in our 2019 Globetrotter.
Looking on E-Trailer, I don't find the same grate you found. Can you be more specific on what model Furrion range it came from? I'll double check dimensions before ordering.
Does your new grate slide or move any during travel?

Thanks for the super modification find. I feel the range is safety hazard with the Dometic factory mini-grates.

Gary W.
WBACI #16885
Gary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W View Post
Rick,
I have the same complaint with the same Dometic 3-burner range in our 2019 Globetrotter.
Looking on E-Trailer, I don't find the same grate you found. Can you be more specific on what model Furrion range it came from? I'll double check dimensions before ordering.
Does your new grate slide or move any during travel?

Thanks for the super modification find. I feel the range is safety hazard with the Dometic factory mini-grates.

Gary W.
Gary,

1) we have the Dometic model CU423 3-burner stovetop only (not the stovetop/range combo)

2) the e-trailer part number for the Furrion grate set we purchased is CFSRE21SA002 (see attached photo)

3) the grates fit very snugly in place on top of the stovetop which is inset mounted between the sides of the countertop on both sides

4) installation was super easy, just had to remove three screws on one side that secure the stovetop's to the counter topping, slide the grates in place and re-install the screws. Done, all of a 5-min. install.

5) after doing this, I came to the realization that the grates can actually be slid in & out without need to remove the screws BUT doing so will serve to scratch the top side edge surfaces of the stainless stovetop.

6) to defeat such (scratching) I plan to put down some 1/2" wide strips of 3M heat resistant metal foil tape and install small 3/16'ths id rubber or plastic tips on the "tangs" which are located on the underside of the grates (2 on each side). These should protect the stovetop from any scratches or indentations.

7) as well, I ordered some 1/4" nickel plated panel plugs from McMaster Carr which snap in and work perfectly to plug the holes of which the former Dometic pan supports plugged into. (photo is also attached)

8) as you will see in the attached photos, I ended up having to purchase a pkg. of 50 of the 1/4" nickel panel plugs so if you find yourself needing some (12), just send me a PM with your name and address and I'll mail you a set for free (I will never need all of the remaining 38 I have leftover but will keep an additional set in the event I want or need to replace any of them in the future).

9) no worries about slippage, the grates aren't going to move without human assistance. They fit flush and are as near to a perfect fit one could ask for (with exception of the burners as the tangs do not line up completely with the burners themselves (as can also be seen in the photos) but still well enough that cooking on them will not be any issue). No more pot slippage!

10) Even though they are not made by Dometic, they fit and are far better than the cheaper portable style camping stove pot supports Dometic still uses.

Finally, please do not rely solely upon my comments, feedback and take your own measurements to ensure the grates will work for you and your stove.

Name:	Furrion CFSRE21SA002.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	386821

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0642.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	386822

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0638.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	386823

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0641.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	386824

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	386825
Old 01-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelange View Post
Hey Rick,

The Dometic stovetop pot supports are simply held in place by small rubber grommets. One just needs to pull up on them evenly and they will come right out. (suspect they are designed that way for easy cleaning).
Old 01-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #7

2020 30' Classic
Stratford , Connecticut
Thanks Rick! The Furrion cast iron grates from E-Trailer fit perfectly on the Dometic gas stove top in our 2020 Airstream Classic! We added rubber #10 screw caps to the feet on the grates to keep them from scratching the stove top while in transit. The screw caps are available in the pull out screw drawers in the hardware department at Home Depot, Lowes and other hardware stores. Thanks again!
Starlifter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlifter73 View Post
Thanks Rick! The Furrion cast iron grates from E-Trailer fit perfectly on the Dometic gas stove top in our 2020 Airstream Classic! We added rubber #10 screw caps to the feet on the grates to keep them from scratching the stove top while in transit. The screw caps are available in the pull out screw drawers in the hardware department at Home Depot, Lowes and other hardware stores. Thanks again!
Good info. I'll get by one of those big box stores and pick some up. I think I mentioned the earlier version I ordered fit but were too long and raised the height of the grates to where they would contact the screws if attempt to slide the grates out for cleaning underneath them as well as would most likely affect the efficiency of the burners.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #9

2016 30' Classic
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelange View Post
Hey Rick,

Hi, It’s super easy - you just lift up on the original ones and they come right out! The grates (the new ones I bought) have to be sort of slide in from the top and then angled down. I put little rubber grommets on the bottom feet looking things on the new grates. In fact, I used the rubber pieces from the original cheap wire things I took out, and then I bought some filler pieces to cover the four holes where the wires came out of so everything looks really clean.
nmw2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
The following info might help others seeking to follow this same path:

Home Depot sells the Lippert Cast Iron grate CFSRE21SA002 (replacement for the Furrion grate #723403) for $40 cheaper than etrailer

You can get mocap black silicon caps (instead of bright orange) for the legs on the cast iron grate (to prevent scratches on the dometic stovetop).
The part number for the bright orange mocap silicon caps: MSC 148-1
The part number for the black mocap silicon caps: MEC 148-1
Both the orange and black caps are available on amazon for about $21 for a pack of 50 plugs

You can plug the holes left from the original Dometic grate using 1/4" nickel plated steel plugs from McMaster Carr. These come in a pack of 50 for $13.

The part number for the nickel plated steel caps is 9563K41
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 04:31 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Keller , Texas
Foobar, thanks for all the great info. However, I am coming up empty handed in searching Home Depot for such a part. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
JamesAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAlan View Post
Foobar, thanks for all the great info. However, I am coming up empty handed in searching Home Depot for such a part. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
I just checked again in case they got some more in stock. You are right, they don't have them anymore. There were only a few units left in stock when I ordered mine.

Anyway, my story is that I ended up returning mine to Home Depot because they only sent me one of the two pieces that make up the grate and by the time I received the shipment and discovered the problem, they were out of stock :-(

So, what did I do? E-trailer.com has them in stock, but is rather pricey. The good news is that they price match if you can find a website that has an advertised price less than what e-trailer is asking. I found a vendor that advertised $60 for a set (instead of $190 on e-trailer website) and e-trailer matched that price
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:57 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Keller , Texas
Thank you very much!
JamesAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:45 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Stove Grate Mod

I have some extra high temp foot caps and plugs I you need a set, send me a message. nichols_greg@att.net
gbnichols is offline   Reply With Quote