Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Cooktop and oven or range?

Hello, today I got our vintage cooktop back from the chrome shop and did not like the fact that it did not hide the pitting on the lid. So now I am left with a decision to either install a new cooktop (keeping the vintage oven that is in good condition) or buy and install a full range.

This thread is to generate the general opinion of the pros and cons of each setup choice. IMO I would prefer the cooktop with a butcher block cover and keeping the vintage oven. I just wanted to pick the mind of the customers before committing to a option. Thanks in advance
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
If it was my trailer I would want the vintage oven (if working properly since parts could be an issue) and the separate cooktop - preferably vintage if it looks ok. I would also be ok with modern cooktop (hidden with a glass top).
Did you talk to the chrome shop about the pitting before the redo? Could it have been filled and sanded down before chroming? Not familiar with the chroming process and what could have been done prior.....
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
They said they could have used a filler metal to fill the holes before chroming but that would have been a lot more prep work which equals money and time. In hindsight I probably should have told them to do that. I too am also new to the chroming process. The chrome layer wasn't as thick as I thought it would be. It had light pitting but thought I would get away with it. Should have known better. I may be able to use it in another rebuild. So that is one vote for the cooktop. The vintage oven is in good working condition, I was leaning on keeping that for that reason
Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Rockford , Michigan
I had the same debate, as after I got my powdercoated pan liner back, it still did not look good. It was also going to be very difficult to get the brushed stainless cover to clean up enough to look good. I was uncertain that my original oven worked, tho' I had no reason to believe it did not. In the end, when my Airstream Dealer had an as-new takeout oven/3 burner range available for $75.00, I decided to go that way. An added benefit is that the new range will be above the oven, next to the refrigerator. I will have a much larger counter area on the curbside next to the sink where my old 3-burner Magic Chef top was originally located. We hope to use our AS for extended trips of 1-6 weeks, so I have opted to put all new appliances/mechanicals in our trailer....
newas4mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have NO idea what it would cost, but do you have a kitchen shop in your area that can fabricate stainless steel counters and backsplashes for commercial kitchens? If so, they could make you a replica burner cover.

At one time there was a woman who made a quilted cover that would lay over the burner cover - haven't seen that in a while, but what the heck, buy some red & white checked tablecloth fabric, quilt it, edge it and cover the pitted metal cover.

Paula
Old 01-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Can you post pictures? I wanted to have the parts on my original cooktop re-chromed but the local place quoted me $1700. They said the original finish was brushed chrome. At this point I'm just going to live with it not looking so good.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I have NO idea what it would cost, but do you have a kitchen shop in your area that can fabricate stainless steel counters and backsplashes for commercial kitchens? If so, they could make you a replica burner cover.
Not that I am aware of, I do however have a custom fabricator that could do it but he advised to buy a new one being that it would cost almost the price of a new range.

Quote:
At one time there was a woman who made a quilted cover that would lay over the burner cover - haven't seen that in a while, but what the heck, buy some red & white checked tablecloth fabric, quilt it, edge it and cover the pitted metal cover.
I kind of like that idea... I had seen something similar to that idea but after they used spray adhesive to mount it they coated it with poly! This would make it resistant to the kitchen environment. I may consider that alternative.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
Can you post pictures? I wanted to have the parts on my original cooktop re-chromed but the local place quoted me $1700. They said the original finish was brushed chrome. At this point I'm just going to live with it not looking so good.
I'm not currently at the shop but I will tomorrow as soon as I can. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the original condition.

1700$ is not worth it, completely unreasonable. I would have liked to see what labor was involved for 1700$ quote. My guys, all they do I dip it in several tanks of liquid, my knowledge is not strong in that department. I cannot understand why it would be that much money. It may have something to do with the brushed look, which I didn't know they did? I always thought chrome plating was smooth and cannot be textured? I paid less than 100$ for two big boxes of stuff to be chromed... Granted the guy is a buddy of mine but he still has to pay overhead cost. Maybe I'm missing something here but that price is outlandish.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
The cooktop cover gets a lot of use as a 'counter' when not used as cooktop. I have a very thin piece of opaque plastic (almost like card stock thickness) and when the cover is down the plastic converts it to a workspace and protects the cooktop cover from scratches. So something like that hides a lot if your not up to spending additional funds at the moment.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
You're
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
clarification

Let me clarify this a little more, sorry. I am not worried about cost per say, but the overall selling factor (what looks or works the best). Even though I would love to keep the vintage appeal, it is not because of the budget. I would like to have a unique feature. Maybe like a hidden theme. Embed/recess the cook-top enough so a 3/4" butcher block "lid" can fit snugly over top and be flush with the counter top. With maybe a small finger hole to lift the block out for cook-top usage.

Here is another question.... When choosing a cook-top is there a preferable size? I would assume if it does not encumber anything, the bigger the better. Most RV style cook-tops are compact, but when going into the household category you can get rather large cook-tops. Opinions?
Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Opelika , Alabama
I would go with an induction cooktop. I live in Alabama where it gets pretty hot and muggy.Induction heats through some fancy magnetism, so the only heat on the surface is residual from the pan. Quite a treat! A gas range is just going to heat up the trailer and frankly, I've never baked in my AS, so I can do without the oven.
racecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Cooktop and oven or range?

Chrome is expensive mostly because the EPA has made it all but illegal these days.

Pits are usually handled by buffing, copper plating, more buffing, more copper plating, and so on and so on till the piece is smooth and pretty. (Copper is a filler material)

After that it is nickel plated, (I think twice) and then chrome plated.

The nickel is what gives it shine, reportedly the actual chrome is very thin (and hard) and transparent.

Chrome plating new stuff is not really labor intensive, old nasty looking pitted stuff is very labor intensive.

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I just shipped my original cooktop to a place in Missouri to have it nickel plated. I also had the grates re-porcelined at a place in the same town. Grates look fantastic.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Got my cooktop parts back today. I think it came out great for being 45 years old. Those are fingerprints on the cover from the install. The cover is close to perfect. The part around the grates has a small dent from before, but I can live with it. I had new porcelain put on the grates too.