Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Signal , Tennessee
Big Decision: Gas range/oven replacement

So my 1985 Magic Chef finall crapped out. I can’t find a replacement valve for the oven.
I want to replace the whole set up oven, countertop, sink and all.

What to do?
Countertop propane stovetop, convection microwave in the oven hole, new sink and coriander countertop?

Does anyone have suggestions?
Convection microwave model that fits in the oven location?

Thanks for all your help
Djenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Well, there are tons of options available, and it really depends on what you’d like and how you camp.

For instance, when I remodeled the galley in my little Caravel, I opted for a flush mount stove top and completely eliminated the oven since I had never once used it in over 10 years. Instead, I reclaim the space the oven took up with more storage, a valuable commodity in an 18 footer. I mounted the microwave oven that I use above the refrigerator, at eye level, where it is much more ergonomic and useful.

Others, however, use their oven quite often and couldn’t think about camping without it.

Here are a few pics; style-wise I was looking for something space-age to fit with 1969 style, apologies for the sideways orientation, this site does that.

skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Djenkins,
Tell us how you use your kitchen... Reheating leftovers, Thanksgiving dinners, something in between? Do you boondock?
We tend towards outdoor meals on a grill or induction cooktop, and our ovens rarely see use. If I had to choose, my 19th century mind would favor the propane oven, with a pizza stone to keep it from burning the bottom of any baked goods. Hot drinks are made to order, and we seldom fix more food than we will eat at one sitting.
Happy travels!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:08 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Signal , Tennessee
First off. I apologize for the typos and misspelling in my original post.

We will never be baking cakes or pies. However a frozen pizza would be nice. We would heat up leftovers every once in a while too.
I grill or griddle most of our dinners.

We camp mostly at full hookup campsites. Very little boondocking.
Thanks
Old 04-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eagle Point , Oregon
I couldn't find replacement valves either but upon careful study found they were easily taken apart, cleaned, and work like new. Mine had a drift pin that when pulled allowed it to come apart. Reused the pin on reassembly.
1976 Sovereign 31' CB Rear Twin towed 'on the ball'.
Retired Professional Truck Driver 4 million accident-free miles. Various combo's GCVW 105,000 lbs 105' length.
Olscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If your plans include a lot of off grid camping then propane is your friend. There really is no practical way to get around that. Microwave on solar / batteries is a very limited sort of thing.

If you pretty much always camp with a shore power hookup then indeed the gas oven / gas cook top may not be needed. I'd go with an induction cook top and one of the high end Breville "toaster" ovens:

https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...ns/bov900.html

Not much space taken up and we use ours (both at home and when camping) a lot more than the microwave or the gas oven. Indeed, the microwave comes in last in that race.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
I replaced my oven with a Breville Smart Oven Air and the stove top with an Induction/gas two burner unit made by “true induction”. Love both of them.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Griddle your pizza

Although we don't carry it in the AS, we love our Breville oven. Bob's exact model sits on our countertop at home and is used far more that either the microwave or the expensive Viking. There are just two of us most days.

If you are already caring a griddle, cook the pizza on it. Our 22-inch Blackstone + a full sheet pan (26x18) laid on top makes a very nice stone-less pizza oven. The sheet pan has other uses, too. Our pizza crusts are homemade at home and frozen for later use.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Here are a few pics; style-wise I was looking for something space-age to fit with 1969 style, apologies for the sideways orientation, this site does that.
Wow! Nice looking cabinetry! Did you craft that yourself?
Old 04-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djenkins View Post
We would heat up leftovers every once in a while too.
Depending on the leftovers, the Breville and the griddle work well. You have to think ahead a little.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Wow, wonderful to see so many great answers! It does depend on how you camp and how you eat and how you cook! We ditched the propane oven (a beast that required "on the knees bowing" to light and always burnt stuff on the bottom while it was still cold on the top) for a microwave-convection because when we are on the road, we do reheat leftovers and cook popcorn and do a little light baking (you know: refrigerated cookie dough, canned biscuits, an occasional frozen pie). We kept the propane stove top for everthing else. When we boondock we use the stove, usually just for a couple of days and we plan meals accordingly.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Got rid of our Magic Chef about ten years ago during a full remodel of the galley. Replaced it with a two burner De'longhi cooktop and a Fisher & Paykel dish drawer dishwasher. I built in a microwave convection oven over the fridge. We get a lot more use out of this setup than we ever did with the factory appliances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210402_152404482.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	392216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210402_152426508.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	392217  

89Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Excella View Post
Got rid of our Magic Chef about ten years ago during a full remodel of the galley. Replaced it with a two burner De'longhi cooktop and a Fisher & Paykel dish drawer dishwasher. I built in a microwave convection oven over the fridge. We get a lot more use out of this setup than we ever did with the factory appliances.
Love the cool dishwasher! That is "camping" in real style, lol. I agree putting the micro or toaster oven above the fridge if you have the space is a great idea, so much more accessible, surprised AS doesn't do this. Putting the micro below waist level does seem awkward, IMHO.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Wow! Nice looking cabinetry! Did you craft that yourself?

Thanks + info in a PM to you.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Love the cool dishwasher! That is "camping" in real style, lol. I agree putting the micro or toaster oven above the fridge if you have the space is a great idea, so much more accessible, surprised AS doesn't do this. Putting the micro below waist level does seem awkward, IMHO.
Thanks, to be fair to AS the original microwave was in a small cabinet above the fridge. It was not built in so you had to open two cabinet doors in order to open the microwave door (not exactly an inspired design). Those two cabinet doors were repurposed below the dishwasher to give access to the propane heater and it allowed that space to be used for pot and pan storage and a fire extinguisher.
The cabinet above the fridge was not big enough for the new oven so that had to be completely rebuilt including a new face frame. The result encroached a little into the vent chimney for the refrigerator which resulted in poor fridge performance in warm weather so ultimately I ended up cutting (gulp!) a side vent for the fridge.
Ed
Old 10-20-2021, 06:20 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
NA , Maryland
Hello,

Realize this is a few months old. Was it difficult getting the cook top countertop fitted/cut or is it a DIY job? We have a Dometic 434 oven/cooktop in our '21 Classic and the oven doesn't stay lit. Dometic won't help and AS support is on life support, pointing fingers at each other, junk isn't made in the US.

Anyway, I'm considering putting in your configuration and go with the Brevill.
jan55255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:56 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Signal , Tennessee
Oven/range replacement

I’m not sure what year AS you have. My 1985 countertop is thin Formica.
I took my old stove out easy enough. Then I took the countertop out. That wasn’t so bad either. Make sure you make a template for whatever you are replacing it with. Put masking tape on the cut lines. This will keep you countertop from splintering.
Good luck.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:06 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan55255 View Post
Hello,

Realize this is a few months old. Was it difficult getting the cook top countertop fitted/cut or is it a DIY job? We have a Dometic 434 oven/cooktop in our '21 Classic and the oven doesn't stay lit. Dometic won't help and AS support is on life support, pointing fingers at each other, junk isn't made in the US.

Hi

In the Classic, you would be getting a new Corian ( or whatever it is) counter top for the area as part of that process. Probably easier to fix the kink in the gas line behind the stove. You need to pull it forward to replace it and that's how you get to the pipe that probably is the issue.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:08 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan55255 View Post
Hello,

The counter top in the Excella ended at the old range. I removed the entire countertop and the range and built a new countertop out of Corian. The cooktop does sit in a cutout in the new countertop.
Ed