Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
2004 22 foot Safari Oven Repair

The gas feed line is supported by a bracket that slides into holes on each side of the oven beneath a solid metal plate. The plate has sheet metal screws coming in from the outside. To remove the enamel coated sheet metal, the oven must slide out. My bracket that holds the gas feed tube for the pilot is broken, and I can probably weld it ok if I could get to it (gas would be disconnected well before attempting the weld). Does anyone know how this oven comes out? Does the pilot gas tube come out with the rest of the unit?
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I had the tube break on my oven twice, blame the road to Chicken, Alaska. Disconnect the propane line (lift the burner top to access) and removed the screws along the side that screw into the counter top. The stove/oven just lifts out.

Instead of welding the line, replace it. That is what I did. For around $10 you can get a replacement line with fittings. The line screws into the burner, goes up the back of the oven and attaches to the oven valve under the burner top.
You need to get something like this:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Robertsh...ing-w-Fittings

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I had the tube break on my oven twice, blame the road to Chicken, Alaska. Disconnect the propane line (lift the burner top to access) and removed the screws along the side that screw into the counter top. The stove/oven just lifts out.

Instead of welding the line, replace it. That is what I did. For around $10 you can get a replacement line with fittings. The line screws into the burner, goes up the back of the oven and attaches to the oven valve under the burner top.
You need to get something like this:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Robertsh...ing-w-Fittings

Thanks for the reply, Richard. Maybe I didn't describe this well enough, but the problem is with the tube that comes out as a pilot light in the oven itself. There is a metal plate that is enamelled above it, and the screws holding it in just inches above the pilot come from OUTSIDE the oven. If they were inside, they would be no problem to take out. Somehow I have to get to sheet metal screw heads outside the oven on both sides to remove the sheet metal screws. the tube supplying gas for the pilot is fine but the bracket holding it in place is broken and either needs to be replaced or fixed. Your solution seems to be up at the burner stovetop location. Is that right?
Old 04-29-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
Thanks for the reply, Richard. Maybe I didn't describe this well enough, but the problem is with the tube that comes out as a pilot light in the oven itself. There is a metal plate that is enamelled above it, and the screws holding it in just inches above the pilot come from OUTSIDE the oven. If they were inside, they would be no problem to take out. Somehow I have to get to sheet metal screw heads outside the oven on both sides to remove the sheet metal screws. the tube supplying gas for the pilot is fine but the bracket holding it in place is broken and either needs to be replaced or fixed. Your solution seems to be up at the burner stovetop location. Is that right?
OK, I was under the assumption that the pilot tube had broke as mine did. The metal plate that goes from side to side and holds the burner broke on mine as well and I patched it with a couple of steel plates.

Are you are talking about the pan that is above the burner and is enamel coated? It is held in place by a couple of screws in the side of the oven? If so, just give it a yank forward and it will then lift out.

BTW, the cross piece that holds the burner is not available anywhere. I saw one on ebay that was roughly the price of the oven...

Richard

Old 04-29-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Check out these threads. I used these to fix the same issue on my '05, one of them even has a parts diagram. At any rate, I did what was posted, same size copper pipe and suggested compression fittings. Was much easier than I thought it would be. The oven comes out very easily to get to nearly any place you need to get into.... IIRC, four screws hold it in, take them out, slide slightly, take wrenches and disconnect gas line, pull oven (also before hand turn off all LP at the tanks, remove all loose burners, covers, shelves, etc)

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...lem-43801.html

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ven-45494.html
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
OK, I was under the assumption that the pilot tube had broke as mine did. The metal plate that goes from side to side and holds the burner broke on mine as well and I patched it with a couple of steel plates.

Are you are talking about the pan that is above the burner and is enamel coated? It is held in place by a couple of screws in the side of the oven? If so, just give it a yank forward and it will then lift out.

BTW, the cross piece that holds the burner is not available anywhere. I saw one on ebay that was roughly the price of the oven...

Yes, the plate that goes from side to side and holds the pilot tube (I am not sure about the burner maybe it is the same plate which certainly goes side to side). It is hard to get to because of the enameled plate that sits above it. Mine is held in with sheet metal screws that come from the OUTSIDE. Are you saying that the screws will slide forward with the plate and I can lift the plate out? I haven't tried that... I also could use rivets and two plates rather than weld or braise the plate together IF I can get to it (plate is in the way on the top). I will go to the trailer tomorrow and see if there is any hope of taking the enameled plate out by pulling it forward. I will let you know if I can use your technique!
Old 05-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:

Thanks Richard. I actually had to push in and up a little but the pan magically came out. It saved me tons of unnecessary work! Once the pan was out I could see everything. The bracket had been brazed but the braze was broken. I have had 253 hours of welding training... but haven't lit a torch for a LONG time. I will practice first, and try to weld it with my oxy-acetelene torch. If unsuccessful I will braze it again. The last resort is pop rivet an iron support on the top and bottom of the bracket to keep the thing together and supported. I owe you and our other poster a beer! Thanks.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Glad that worked out, I was stumped when I tried to get to mine. Like I stated earlier, my bracket has a couple of steel straps bolted to it because it broke. If that does not hold, i will take the bracket and burnet to a metal fabricator and price out a new one.

Richard