Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Milford , Michigan
Would like replace fridge with freezer

I currently boondock for month at a time with going to "town" once or twice a month. A freezer would help me extend my stays on location, and limit to once a month to town. Most of all it would give me the ability to make ice. I use two Yeti Coolers as my fridge boxes with dividers in them. They slide under the modified bed. Right now I am limited in the "ice making ability" due to the small size of the freezer box area.

My needs are a freezer to replace the area that the microwave and Dometic fridge/freezer are in now. Is there a propane freezer that anyone know of that is the Dometic size? Could go for a larger model in height in the area that the microwave was in, but would like to save that area for storage. Also would consider removing oven as well if only a small box size could be found.

Also does anyone know how much more propane would be used by a freezer compared to a fridge?

Thanks for your help!

Outdoors
outdoors717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have never heard of one of these in an RV, but you might contact Lehman's about a propane freezer, as it is my understanding they market these to the Amish and other off grid individuals.

https://www.lehmans.com/?partner_id=...3sVBoCkn3w_wcB

Let us know what you find out.

Maggie
Old 03-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Sorry if you have already tried this...

My old Dometic Fridge would freeze milk and eggs if it was to anything past 3.

If cranking it up didn't work….you might try just taking off the freezer door
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Milford , Michigan
I have tried taking the door off. Does keep items at top and in door almost frozen, but it the temp increases towards bottom.

Been looking around. I did not find anything but the 15cu versions which is a little on the big size for what I need.

I ran across http://www.sunfrost.com/F10_efficien...c_freezer.html

Not propane, but I do have 3 100 watt panels with a good charge controller, batteries etc. Anybody have experience with sunfrost or using solar to run fridge? Sunfrost seems to do almost all the work as they go. Custom. Might be what I am after. Will call on Monday.
outdoors717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
I'm Using Whynter fridge/freezers 12v. Using one as fridge and one as freezer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002W...gnL&ref=plSrch

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170312_162146.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	281683Click image for larger version

Name:	20170312_162241.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	281684
Pygmypoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My first observation is that a conventional 3-way Dometic can be used on inverter power if sufficient solar and battery reserves are present, but it's very inefficient because its A/C option was intended for shore power, and designed without conservation in mind. Mine is very small, a 2351 model, and it seems to draw a fairly steady 10 amps when I use it that way (theory says it should drop off when it cycles, but in my test runs, I didn't see it do that). This means it can only be running on inverter while the sun is high in the sky and the batteries are recharging at as great or greater a rate than the unit is drawing. I suspect that any multi-source unit that includes propane as one of its options will be designed similarly, but I'd love to know if that's NOT the case.

The Sunfrost F10 looks very interesting and it openly states its daily energy needs at 55 amp-hours (70 degrees ambient), which is really good compared to my Dometic. 55 amp-hours would translate into a 2.3 amp draw if it were drawing constantly, which it would not be doing because presumably it would cycle such that it averaged out to that number, but you can readily see the difference in efficiency.

Perhaps I'm not yet fully awake this morning, but I cannot find where the Whynter states its energy requirements. The Whynter Elite 45 Slim Fit looks promising and I even looked at the user manual, but I cannot find that vital piece of information, so it's difficult to compare.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Here is the excerpt from the amazon description. They mean to say 12/24v and not 2v. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170320-122422.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	281775
Old 03-21-2017, 12:47 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
For the Whynter slim fit 45 the Q&A section had this. These are chest style so you won't lose much cold air when opening the door as you will with uprights. Thus the units won't have to run as much or as often.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170320-234651.png
Views:	82
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	281799