Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2023, 01:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Mainview , California
White or Stainless Refrigerator

We just took delivery of our 2023 International 23FBQ. This is our first new RV purchase and maybe this is typical of the industry, but our Airstream was not inspected or prepped very well. There was plastic debris in the plumbing (caught by the pump strainer), doors that wouldn’t open or close properly, and general construction debris throughout the interior. Mostly resolved by the dealer before we left with the unit.

That brings me to the question - isn’t this refrigerator supposed to be stainless? At first I thought it still had white protective cling film, but upon closer inspection I can’t find a corner to peel it off. I’m hesitant to mess with it too much because it’s full of scratches, so if it’s supposed to be white I don’t need a warranty denial when I ask for replacement.
Joe_B01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I have only seen stainless in new Airstreams. My guess, it’s covered in plastic. Can you upload a photo.
Old 04-25-2023, 02:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Putnam , Connecticut
It sounds as if the dealer did not prep your unit! It should have been spotless and all “fitted” as if in a showroom. How long was your orientation?
Carl n Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 02:29 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Mainview , California
About an hour and a half. The orientation was fine, but it was as if the unit had been sitting on the lot since manufactured in November 2022. Dirty inside and out and lots of manufacturing debris. Drawers installed upside down, drawers that didn’t latch properly, wobbly table, debris in the water pump screen, chrome trim on the door was gouged. The tech somehow was able to fix or replace just about everything while we waiting for an hour after orientation so A+ there.

I’m just wondering if these refrigerators arrive with white protective cling film. Nova Kool makes them in black, white, and stainless. I’ve never seen an Airstream International, a 2023 no less, with a white refrigerator. Model RFU6800 DC
Old 04-26-2023, 01:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Reno , Texas
Not really stainless

Not certain if this applies to your unit, but I have a 2020 23FB unit. While on the road I broke the plastic bracket that is on the bottom of the refrigerator door which apparently holds up the slide in panel that I thought was stainless steel. It was nothing more than a 3/8” panel with a silver covering over it. BTW that panel is really heavy. I had to wrap very thin wire around the door to hold it in place until I can get a new bracket.
missaviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 02:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Joe,
I don't recall seeing any white frig doors unless it was an aftermarket unit. Some, like mine on an original Dometic Royale, have fake oak panels that match the cabinets.

One comment you made about drawers installed wrong jumped out at me. Mine is a 1997 model, a classic 26 year old Land Yacht. 2 weeks ago I finally got aggravated with a drawer in the center console that was always hard to open and close. Discovered the slide bar with wheel on one side was put on upside down. As I am the second owner, I know that was done at the factory......go figure!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
My guess is the panel is missing, still covered in a protective film or was replaced. They come out, on one of my vintage restores I put a cut piece of formica in it to match my counters, as they come out fairly easy. I'd just ask the dealer.
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:11 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Mainview , California
Still not sure of this is standard. It’s how we took delivery.

https://ibb.co/DrBgdvz