Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Where do the one door fridges vent?

My litle Argosy had her little one door fridge removed and replaced with a littler electric only fridge and there seems to be no venting. I want to reinstall a one door propane/electric fridge and need to know where it is suposed to vent. There isn't a cabinet above the fridge cabinet, just a counter. But there is a strange looking oval spot up high in the pantry cabinet next to the fridge. Did there used to be a cabinet above the fridge and the fridge was vented up through that cabinet, then over to the pantry cabinet, then up through the roof where an oval opening used to be?
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV H-D Lady View Post
My litle Argosy had her little one door fridge removed and replaced with a littler electric only fridge and there seems to be no venting. I want to reinstall a one door propane/electric fridge and need to know where it is suposed to vent. There isn't a cabinet above the fridge cabinet, just a counter. But there is a strange looking oval spot up high in the pantry cabinet next to the fridge. Did there used to be a cabinet above the fridge and the fridge was vented up through that cabinet, then over to the pantry cabinet, then up through the roof where an oval opening used to be?
A correction to the above - the oval area is on the ceiling in the tambour- doored cabinet above the fridge, not in the pantry. I'm now pretty sure there was a cabinet sitting on top of the fridge cabinet and there must have been a vent going up the back of that cabinet up to the oval spot that used to be an opening.

Thanks!!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
A correction to the above - the oval area is on the ceiling in the tambour- doored cabinet above the fridge, not in the pantry. I'm now pretty sure there was a cabinet sitting on top of the fridge cabinet and there must have been a vent going up the back of that cabinet up to the oval spot that used to be an opening.

Thanks!!
All reefers used an "exhaust vent" called a reefer scoop.

It must be used to exhaust the carbon monoxide fumes, when running the reefer on LPG.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Year and model of your Argosy?

Because many different Argosy models were produced over a number of years, it would be helpful to readers for you to identify the year, length and model of your Argosy when asking a specific question about it. You might even add its description to your profile, where it would be somewhat permanent. "My little Argosy" is too vague to elicit many useful replies.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Agree with the above...

But will take a stab at it. Here is one where the cabinet is missing but you can see the reefer scoop still in place that Andy refers to. And - one with the cabinet in the proper place.
(photos courtesy of VintageAirstream.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	111435  
Attached Images

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Because many different Argosy models were produced over a number of years, it would be helpful to readers for you to identify the year, length and model of your Argosy when asking a specific question about it. You might even add its description to your profile, where it would be somewhat permanent. "My little Argosy" is too vague to elicit many useful replies.
Makes sense. Will do!!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
But will take a stab at it. Here is one where the cabinet is missing but you can see the reefer scoop still in place that Andy refers to. And - one with the cabinet in the proper place.
(photos courtesy of VintageAirstream.com)

Thanks Ganglin. That was a good stab. The pictures you posted look exactly like mine, except for the parts that are missing in mine. My Argosy is a 1976 24.' Did the original fridge measure 36" or 42"? We'd like to put in a 42." The cabinets have to be rebuilt, so I don't imgine there would be a problem. ? ??????
Old 09-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
All reefers used an "exhaust vent" called a reefer scoop.

It must be used to exhaust the carbon monoxide fumes, when running the reefer on LPG.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Will I be able to order all necessary plumbing parts to install a fridge from Inland RV?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy. Will I be able to order all necessary plumbing parts to install a fridge from Inland RV?
If that's what you wish to do, yes.

Andy
Old 09-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Another dumb question - does the refrigerator scoop attach to the back of the fridge, or just insert into the back of the fridge cabinet? Does one size scoop fit all?
Old 09-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Another dumb question - does the refrigerator scoop attach to the back of the fridge, or just insert into the back of the fridge cabinet? Does one size scoop fit all?
The reefer scoop fits over the backside top of the cooling unit, so that heat, from the top outside coil can be captured and exhausted to the exterior, and carbon monoxide from the burner if using it on LPG.

There is one reefer scoop that is trimmed to fit the various reefer one or two door models.

Andy