Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
What to do with a 32 year old refrigerator?

I'm in the process of a driveway shell-off to replace the frame on my Ambassador. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...rot-39673.html So far have I removed the refrigerator, along with about half the interior, and now the refrigerator is sitting on the driveway. So now I have a question: What does one do with a 32 year old refrigerator? It's a Royal Dometic, gas/electric, automatic defrost, model rm100. I have no idea whether it works or not. Although some of the knobs have either broken off or fallen out of position. Plug it in and see what happens?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3544.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	56464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3545.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	56465  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3550.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	56466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3574.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	56467  

monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
What does one do with a 32 year old refrigerator? I have no idea whether it works or not.
It might still work. The one from our '64 Overlander didn't quit until it was 42 years old, and then only because I couldn't find a small part for the burner.

I still have it if anyone needs any parts off it.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Grant, so would you suggest I just plug this one into 110 and see what happens? It has been suggested that it might not operate without the proper ventilation?

Todd
Old 03-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Grant, so would you suggest I just plug this one into 110 and see what happens? It has been suggested that it might not operate without the proper ventilation?

Todd
You can plug it into 120, it won't need to be vented.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Mono,

There are few outfits around that will make the old Dometics like new again for a lot less than a new one. Considering all the trouble everyone has with the new reffers and circuit boards it may be worth having it re-done. I can't remember the name of the one company in Elkhart that specializes in Dometics.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Try it. The one in my ’67 still works. The door is about to disintegrate, though.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Just because it is out you might as well invert it for a night and then right it and see if it cools well. Sounds odd but you'll find that process in some of the threads and I had found it in a handy dandy RV service manual. THat breaks up any crystles that may have formed in the ammonia lines. Several have commented that this process had their refers running like new. Some have suggested gently thumping the lines with a rubber mallot...but not sure if that is neccessary. If it runs on electric, then your issue will be if the gas burner works. If so, you should be good to go.

rob
Old 03-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Okay, I'll look around for a company that rebuilds Dometics. And I'll plug it and see what happens. I did invert it momentarily when I lowered it down and out through the door of the trailer. Afterward there was a very strong ammonia smell which seemed to be emanating from freezer, at least the smell was quite strong when I opened the freezer door?

Todd
Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Okay, I'll look around for a company that rebuilds Dometics. And I'll plug it and see what happens. I did invert it momentarily when I lowered it down and out through the door of the trailer. Afterward there was a very strong ammonia smell which seemed to be emanating from freezer, at least the smell was quite strong when I opened the freezer door?

Todd
That is bad news. Don't bother plugging it in. It is DOA. These refers are filled with ammonia. It is the main chemical in the heat absorption refer. Your choices now are rebuild the one you have or get a new one.

Try these sites : RV ice box , RV mobile

There are a couple other sites that I can't find right now that explain quite well how an ammonia refer works.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Chris, I assume then what I have is a leak which became apparent when I inverted the unit during the takeout. The sites to which you refer make a strong case for a repair versus replacement. I wonder what shipping from and back to San Antonio would cost? Would need to factor that into the cost of repair vesus replacement. Hmmmm...
Old 03-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Yes, It sure looks that way. The cooling coils are in the freezer that makes sense that the smell would be coming from there.

I have been watching your frame thread. Pretty interesting stuff there. I have been sorta looking for a larger AS which is why I have been looking at what your are finding out with yours.

In My Opinion, I would worry about the refer later, but keep an eye out for a great deal on a new one or used.

When I did my frame off I had a hard time, at first, focusing on one thing at a time and prioritizing. After I prioritized things went really well. Again, just my .02
Old 03-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
A couple of years ago, we had our 1964 Dometic repaired...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ing-12068.html

The bottomline is the company we had fix it is:
Cool-Fun
15825 E. Edna Place
Irwindale, CA
626-960-5456
They did a terrific job and I would recommend them, if this is the route you wish to take. Cost of a new fridge: +/-$1000 (undercounter propane/elec model)

Cost of Repair: $350
Cost of Shipping to CA (FedEx Ground round-trip from CO): $200
Cost of keeping things vintage-original: priceless!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
A couple of years ago, we had our 1964 Dometic repaired...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ing-12068.html

The bottomline is the company we had fix it is:
Cool-Fun
15825 E. Edna Place
Irwindale, CA
626-960-5456

They did a terrific job and I would recommend them, if this is the route you wish to take. Cost of a new fridge: +/-$1000 (undercounter propane/elec model)

Cost of Repair: $350
Cost of Shipping to CA (FedEx Ground round-trip from CO): $200
Cost of keeping things vintage-original: priceless!

Shari
Hi Shari, Good and that give me real numbers to compare a rebuild versus a replace. It's nice to know these older units are repairable at a cost cheaper than replacement.

Todd
Old 03-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Yes, It sure looks that way. The cooling coils are in the freezer that makes sense that the smell would be coming from there.

I have been watching your frame thread. Pretty interesting stuff there. I have been sorta looking for a larger AS which is why I have been looking at what your are finding out with yours.

In My Opinion, I would worry about the refer later, but keep an eye out for a great deal on a new one or used.

When I did my frame off I had a hard time, at first, focusing on one thing at a time and prioritizing. After I prioritized things went really well. Again, just my .02
Chris, feel free to join the frame thread. I appreciate your .02! I need all cents (sense) I can get there. I haven't found an example in the forums of a drive-way shell-off frame replacement...yet. Was your frame-off done in the driveway? So mine may be a first?? It's a big job and one I almost backed out of. I agree about staying prioritized. But during the week, here at the office, it's nice to explore other issues...I can't seem to resist! Especially since the refrig is just sitting there in the driveway.

Todd
Old 03-19-2008, 02:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Chris, feel free to join the frame thread. I appreciate your .02! I need all cents (sense) I can get there. I haven't found an example in the forums of a drive-way shell-off frame replacement...yet. Was your frame-off done in the driveway? So mine may be a first?? It's a big job and one I almost backed out of. I agree about staying prioritized. But during the week, here at the office, it's nice to explore other issues...I can't seem to resist! Especially since the refrig is just sitting there in the driveway.

Todd
Hi Todd, yes I did mine in the driveway. I actually raised the shell above the frame and left it at that. I needed to keep the rain off the frame while I was working on it. Technically it was a shell off but only by about 6 inches or so. It worked for me. I too had frame issues but nothing like what you are dealing with.

I too had the refer discussion with everyone and myself before I even had the floor in. I decided that I had bigger issues to think about and bagged it for about 4 months. In the end I turned it upside down for a while and rebuilt the burner plus put in an electric spark ignition (you can get them as an add on). Now instead of wondering if it will cool I worry about it freezing things. I did a lot of venting work such as, baffles to direct airflow to and through the coils and directly out the roof vent plus two 50 cfm 12v computer fans in the top of the vent.(interestingly they are the same size as the throat of the refer vent) They will drop the inside temp of the refer 10+ deg on really hot days when turned on. My refer is 40+ years old and when it breaks that's it, there are no options for me other than a new unit. All the parts are N/A.

The space behind my refer had a lot of dead air space. That will hurt the cooling effect of these absorption refers. The flow of air wasn't really directed at the coils.

When you get to the stage of putting your kitchen back in, think about what size refer you really want. Do you want a totally separate freezer ? maybe a larger refer ? or is the size that was there big enough for what you need ? Do you plan on taking really long trips, like a month or so, or just short trips. I really would like to have a freezer big enough to put a few things in(other than just an ice cube tray), for example. Just a few things to think about.

PS - Take a look at my pics. There are some there of the frame with the shell suspended above it.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Hi Todd, yes I did mine in the driveway. I actually raised the shell above the frame and left it at that. I needed to keep the rain off the frame while I was working on it. Technically it was a shell off but only by about 6 inches or so. It worked for me. I too had frame issues but nothing like what you are dealing with.

I too had the refer discussion with everyone and myself before I even had the floor in. I decided that I had bigger issues to think about and bagged it for about 4 months. In the end I turned it upside down for a while and rebuilt the burner plus put in an electric spark ignition (you can get them as an add on). Now instead of wondering if it will cool I worry about it freezing things. I did a lot of venting work such as, baffles to direct airflow to and through the coils and directly out the roof vent plus two 50 cfm 12v computer fans in the top of the vent.(interestingly they are the same size as the throat of the refer vent) They will drop the inside temp of the refer 10+ deg on really hot days when turned on. My refer is 40+ years old and when it breaks that's it, there are no options for me other than a new unit. All the parts are N/A.

The space behind my refer had a lot of dead air space. That will hurt the cooling effect of these absorption refers. The flow of air wasn't really directed at the coils.

When you get to the stage of putting your kitchen back in, think about what size refer you really want. Do you want a totally separate freezer ? maybe a larger refer ? or is the size that was there big enough for what you need ? Do you plan on taking really long trips, like a month or so, or just short trips. I really would like to have a freezer big enough to put a few things in(other than just an ice cube tray), for example. Just a few things to think about.

PS - Take a look at my pics. There are some there of the frame with the shell suspended above it.
Chris, Thanks. Your photos were helpful to give some idea of what's in store during the shell-off. I didn't notice that you needed to build a wooden frame to support the shell while it was suspended. Given the size of my trailer and the actual removal of the frame I've already begun thinking of how I might support the shell and eventually anchor it while the frame is out.

Thanks also for the tips about air circulation. Good to know for future reference. At present I'm considering whether to toss this frig or save it for repairs later. As mentioned there is a strong ammonia smell and at least the cooling unit will need replacing. So far I haven't found the model number for my unit on the repair facility websites.... Still checking.

If I toss it I'm unsure at this point about exactly where and what dumping regulations might apply?

Todd