Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
What cooling should I expect from a new fridge?

We just picked up our 2016 30' Serenity.

I'm doing a test of the fridge right now and not sure if I am seeing what I should see in terms of fridge cooling performance.

Here is the scenario:

-Outside temp is around 100 degrees.
-Temp in the parked trailer (all windows open) is around 100 degrees.
-Fridge is empty
-Cooling setting is on HIGH (Coldest)

Empty fridge has been running on GAS, on HIGH, for 24 hours. Freezer temp is 16 degrees. Seems good to me! Fridge temp is 45 degrees. Not so great.

So, about 6 hours ago I switched over to running it on AC. Now, freezer temp is still 16 degrees, but fridge is at 52 degrees. (During the afternoon, the late day sun has been beating on the fridge side of the trailer.)

The fridge side of the trailer is facing west, with hot western sun hitting that side of the coach all afternoon.

Obviously, we are not occupying the trailer. It is parked beside the house. And the heat of the environment and temps inside the trailer cannot be helping the fridge do its job at all. And the fact that the fridge is empty... may be a factor as well?

Considering all this, does it sound like our fridge is doing its job as best as can be expected, or should it be cooling the refrigerator section a LOT better than it is?

Freezer performance looks great. Fridge performance is really causing us some concern, but we're not sure how much the environmental factors are influencing the performance.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Inefficient RV systems will only cool so much. Sounds like you have reached that point. People expect too much from RV fridges and air conditioning systems. .

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I bought one of the inexpensive battery operated fridge fans to move the air in the fridge. Does help to keep things cooler and the batteries last about a month. Well worth the investment. Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Is you fin slid all the way up? You r right, 45 will not keep food at safe temp for consuming. Talk to dealer.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

DHart

Your fridge is doing OK. A little colder would be a little better. Being empty does make a huge difference. It being 100 degrees doesn't help. Your fridge is 45 degrees. That's 55 degrees colder than the temps outside. 10 more degrees and your milk and eggs would be close to freezing.

As far as giving it 24 hours, that's not too far off normal. People put cold drinks in their fridge to speed up the process. I put frozen water bottles in mine.

Once I get my fridge up to speed, in about 80 degree weather, it will freeze milk set on 3 ( about half way )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yes, I do plan to talk with the dealer tomorrow. I was just wondering how well the fridges in other folks Airstreams are cooling.

I'm sure the 100 degree temp in the coach is playing some part in the situation. And the fact that the fridge is totally empty. But hoping that I can expect a little more from the Dometic.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
That's actually about normal cooling. I thought the best it could do was 30 less than ambient temp. And you're right, 100 degrees doesn't help. The hotter it is, the more it struggles.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
After mods, with 100* and empty, I can get fridge to 38* and freezer to 2*.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

What mods?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Yes, please share the mods. My wife and I have to get this ice box working better!
Old 08-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It was actually one repair and some mods:

Cooling unit went bad and I replaced with one from rvcoolingunit.com. They claim, (and I can see) better performance from re-routing some of the tubing on the cooling unit. They also claim a bit different Chemistry.

I addition:
1) three 120mm fans mounted just inside the top refer vent pulling air out of the back compartment
2) one 200mm fan mounted behind the lower access door pushing air in and up.
3) All fans controlled by a thermal switch. On and off at about 75* ambient temp.
4) Moved the thermistor down to the shelf with the plastic 4" X 4" tray in it; on the far right side, tip pointed toward door. (I never understood why it is mounted on the fins...turns the fridge on and off too frequently, IMO, on ALL fridges I have owned)
5) Interior twin 2" fans for the fin area from RVcoolinunit.com

I mount my remote temp sensor right below the drain pan for the fins...if I don't, I freeze everything in the back of the fridge.

When the outside temps are 90* and A/C is at 72*, the fridge (loaded) is at 34* (off) and 36* (on) in the fridge, and -2* (on) and -4* (off). That is on setting #3 of 5 for my model.

I had similar results on my old SOB, but some of the mods weren't available/known to me with that trailer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Parking direction to the sun is important. In hot weather with the fridge side facing the sun we have had results similar to you. In these conditions I try to park the fridge side northerly, and to deploy the streetside awning to keep the area in the shade.

Our model has upper and lower fridge vent doors with a fan in the upper compartment. This helps moving air. I also prop open the upper and sometimes both vent doors to increase air flow.

The effort should be to keep the fridge compartment and airstream interior cool as possible. A well-stocked fridge and freezer will help stabilize fridge temps, some put a few milk cartons of ice in the freezer to help stability if there is not much else in there.

I think your fridge is operating normally in those conditions.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have done no mods to my 20 year old fridge. With the AC off and it 80+ degress in the trailer, my fridge is between 32 and 34 on the top shelf on setting #5....I confirmed this yesterday because I turned it on the day before and loaded it for a trip today.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I have done no mods to my 20 year old fridge. With the AC off and it 80+ degress in the trailer, my fridge is between 32 and 34 on the top shelf on setting #5....I confirmed this yesterday because I turned it on the day before and loaded it for a trip today.

What is the outside ambient temp?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Yesterday was about 85. The trailer was in full sun.....The hottest I have checked it in was about 95 outside and no ac running. It was still under 35 degrees in mid day.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Sounds about normal. Two things influence our performance more than others: 1. Direct sun on the fridge side of the trailer and 2. Outside temperature.

On hot days traveling west (with the sun in the southern sky and therefore on the street side of the trailer where our fridge is located) and temps above 80 we gain temp in the fridge through the daylight hours. We run with propane on. At night we come back to low 30s in the fridge.

I generally put several plastic zip lock bags of ice cubes in the freezer overnight and move them to the fridge on days when I know we can't count on the Dometic to keep its cool. I move them back to the freezer at night and start over the next day.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
DR M

2011 34' Classic
Eastlake , Colorado
We met a couple in a my while camping and he had a pretty good idea to help keep the fridge cooler when camping. He went to lowes and bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch insulation board and cut it out to the fridge dimensions and velco's it to the outside of the trailer and he claimed it keeps his fridge 4-5 degrees cooler.
DR M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #18
DR M

2011 34' Classic
Eastlake , Colorado
Oh yeah, he takes it off and stores inside trailer while traveling. Doesn't help with cooling while traveling though.
DR M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
It was actually one repair and some mods:

Cooling unit went bad and I replaced with one from rvcoolingunit.com. They claim, (and I can see) better performance from re-routing some of the tubing on the cooling unit. They also claim a bit different Chemistry.

I addition:
1) three 120mm fans mounted just inside the top refer vent pulling air out of the back compartment
2) one 200mm fan mounted behind the lower access door pushing air in and up.
3) All fans controlled by a thermal switch. On and off at about 75* ambient temp.
4) Moved the thermistor down to the shelf with the plastic 4" X 4" tray in it; on the far right side, tip pointed toward door. (I never understood why it is mounted on the fins...turns the fridge on and off too frequently, IMO, on ALL fridges I have owned)
5) Interior twin 2" fans for the fin area from RVcoolinunit.com

I mount my remote temp sensor right below the drain pan for the fins...if I don't, I freeze everything in the back of the fridge.

When the outside temps are 90* and A/C is at 72*, the fridge (loaded) is at 34* (off) and 36* (on) in the fridge, and -2* (on) and -4* (off). That is on setting #3 of 5 for my model.

I had similar results on my old SOB, but some of the mods weren't available/known to me with that trailer.

I just ordered the inside fan unit, how do I remove the light to hook up.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
We have had good luck with Norcold and not-so-good with Dometic refrigerators. Is Dometic all that Airstream uses?
horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote