Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Warranty & Fridge Questions

I'm going to look at an '06 30' Classic that's only a few months used...has about a year and a half left on the warranty. I can only find how proud Airstream is of their "Limited" warranty, no details posted anywhere. What's limited about the warranty? The seller has the form to transfer the warranty to me but is it possible to extend it beyond the 2 years and do any of you guys think it's necessary to extend the warranty?

What brand of fridge is in the new trailers? My 87 Soverign has a bullet proof Dometic. Manual operation from gas to elect...real cold on either power source. Reason I ask is a friend has a Norcold in his Lance camper and has problems with it staying lit, doesn't cool worth a darn on 12 volt.

Anybody have any fridge comments? I'll probably buy the trailer anyway but I'm gearing up for what to expect.

Thanks alot for any info you folks can pass on.

Mike
Old 05-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
My original '74 Dometic was still chillin' when I sold it two years ago on both gas & electric. Had to manually light since the sparker push button rod broke. My '89 Dometic was replaced about three years ago and works great. Some units from the '50's still work. I look at it this way; my home fridge is good for about 15 to 20 years, but doesn't endure the hardship of bouncing down the road and operating in extreme temperatures. All newer Airstreams from the late 60's to present use Dometics. You can't go wrong.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
flymike,
All A/S have the Dometic frig..Unless the PO replaced it with something else.
The 2006 Classic will have the Dometic frig installed from the factory.
BTW, None of the Dometic installed in the newer A/S cool on 12 volts. They're now only propane or 120 volts.
It's possible to extend the warranty.It's up to you to decide if it's worth it..
You might find that, if you do want to extend the warranty that, it's only possible from the original selling dealer..let us know what you find out regarding that.
Airstream's warranty coverage policy statement is in the owner's packet..Be sure you get the owner's bag as well..All new A/S have them and, it's a perfect place to keep all your pertain papers..
Basically what it says is: A/S covers everything for 2 yrs except that each appliances has it's own warranty coverage and, you should fill out the warranty cards for each. Most of them are only good for one year..It depends on the company.
For example, the "real china toilet" bowel is sold with a lifetime warranty. Only one item is covered with a 2 yr warranty and, I can't remember if it's the A/C or what..The tires, frig, heater, A/C, TV (if you have one installed) are all covered by their own warranty policy..It's a good idea to double check that all have been registered by the PO..
Good luck~
53FC
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
http://www.airforums.com/forum...tor-10239.html