Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2022, 09:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sunnyvale , California
Using Fridge when not level

Hi-

I have a 2017 Airstream FC23D with the original dometic fridge. It is parked on my driveway which is at a slope (front of RV is leaning down a bit after raising jack as far as I am comfortable).

Before trips I do turn on the fridge for a day or two and it has been working fine. I have noticed that if the RV is not level from left to right, the fridge will not get cold at all but a little leaning front to back did not have the same effect.

Is using the fridge when not level front to back going to damage my fridge? Reason I ask is that after several years now of doing this, we recently observed the fridge not working during our last trip. Trying to see if the use when not level is the issue or something else (I.e. age of the unit).

Thanks for any input.
joeysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
3 way fridges must be level

unlevel can be dangerous.
sometimes they can catch on fire
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Much better performance when level. We have found that we must level ours when in the driveway prepping for a trip. It is level left to right and front to back. One side sits on two two-bys. Tongue is nearly as low as it can go.

We’ve also noticed performance improving lately. Maybe it’s because we level it better than we used to. Maybe it’s the maintenance I performed on it.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:39 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Level ALWAYS. It relies on gravity for the ammonia solution to flow through the system. If unlevel, the solution can overheat and form crystals. Over time the crystals can cause sporadic blockages and inhibit or prevent cooling. They can often be dislodged, and it will cool again — until it won’t. This can be a progressive process. The fix is eventually a new cooling unit.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Definitely needs to be level, but doesn't need to be OCD level. Level enough for comfortable use of the trailer - if you're comfortable then it's level enough. Here's the instructions from my manual, and I don't believe it's changed all that much to the latest propane fridges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 21.51.36.png
Views:	63
Size:	562.8 KB
ID:	425670  
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
This is good information to know.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:28 PM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I would assume this information about being level applies to any absorption fridge regardless of the source of the heat, propane, A/C or D/C from the battery.

But a compressor type fridge is not sensitive to being level. Correct?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida

That is correct. DC powered “danfoss” compressor style refrigeration was originally developed for marine applications.
So not at all sensitive to pitch, roll or yaw.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Level ALWAYS. It relies on gravity for the ammonia solution to flow through the system. If unlevel, the solution can overheat and form crystals. Over time the crystals can cause sporadic blockages and inhibit or prevent cooling. They can often be dislodged, and it will cool again — until it won’t. This can be a progressive process. The fix is eventually a new cooling unit.
The other option, besides buying a new compressor fridge is to replace the coil assembly as outlined here in this article on this site.

The advantage to this approach is that if your trailer is old enough, it's very likely the new fridge won't fit into the same space, because they change dimensions every decade or so for reasons that have never been satisfactorialy explained to me. This means you can keep your existing fridge box, assuming it's still in good shape, and you won't have to cut or fill in any millwork around the perimeter or redo the base.

The purchase cost will also be much cheaper, but when you factor in your labor and time, it's a wash.

Another option is to replace the unit with a compressor unit which is way cheaper, but precludes boon docking unless you run a genny constantly or have a super expensive battery setup, which would negate any cost savings on the fridge by an order of magnitude or so.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:53 AM   #10
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
The other option, besides buying a new compressor fridge is to replace the coil assembly as outlined here in this article on this site.

The advantage to this approach is that if your trailer is old enough, it's very likely the new fridge won't fit into the same space, because they change dimensions every decade or so for reasons that have never been satisfactorialy explained to me. This means you can keep your existing fridge box, assuming it's still in good shape, and you won't have to cut or fill in any millwork around the perimeter or redo the base.

The purchase cost will also be much cheaper, but when you factor in your labor and time, it's a wash.

Another option is to replace the unit with a compressor unit which is way cheaper, but precludes boon docking unless you run a genny constantly or have a super expensive battery setup, which would negate any cost savings on the fridge by an order of magnitude or so.

That is what I was referring to when I mentioned a new cooling unit. I thought my fridge was toast and got a new Amish cooling unit last winter. Then my fridge came back to life so i have never installed the new unit yet. I know I have crystallized solution and it clogs the cooling lines now and then. I keep thermometers in the fridge and freezer sections and when I see things getting warm, I shut it off. When the lines cool, the blockage settles out and after a few hours restart the fridge and am back in business. I am full time, and dread removing the fridge to replace the cooling unit, so I keep putting it off and so far, so good.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:16 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
That is what I was referring to when I mentioned a new cooling unit. I thought my fridge was toast and got a new Amish cooling unit last winter. Then my fridge came back to life so i have never installed the new unit yet. I know I have crystallized solution and it clogs the cooling lines now and then. I keep thermometers in the fridge and freezer sections and when I see things getting warm, I shut it off. When the lines cool, the blockage settles out and after a few hours restart the fridge and am back in business. I am full time, and dread removing the fridge to replace the cooling unit, so I keep putting it off and so far, so good.

Thanks to all for the several very helpful responses. Much appreciated.

Was wondering if the crystals that develop when not level are permanent and just keep building up. Or do they transition back over time?

I have kept it off now while on my unlevel driveway. Will try turning it on when level again but am wondering if it will work or not.

Thanks!
joeysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmith View Post

Was wondering if the crystals that develop when not level are permanent and just keep building up. Or do they transition back over time?

I have kept it off now while on my unlevel driveway. Will try turning it on when level again but am wondering if it will work or not.

Thanks!
Yes, the crystals are permanent and cumulative. A lot of information on gas absorption refrigerators here:

https://www.arprv.com/products.php

I do not know why the ARP unit does not get more attention on this forum. I consider it an essential piece of equipment.
(I am in no way affiliated with this company, just a user for about 7 or 8 years)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:16 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Quote:
Hi-

I have a 2017 Airstream FC23D with the original dometic fridge. It is parked on my driveway which is at a slope (front of RV is leaning down a bit after raising jack as far as I am comfortable).

Before trips I do turn on the fridge for a day or two and it has been working fine. I have noticed that if the RV is not level from left to right, the fridge will not get cold at all but a little leaning front to back did not have the same effect.

Is using the fridge when not level front to back going to damage my fridge? Reason I ask is that after several years now of doing this, we recently observed the fridge not working during our last trip. Trying to see if the use when not level is the issue or something else (I.e. age of the unit).

Thanks for any input.
I just try to use common sense. If you’re parked all crazy pointing up or down or leaning don’t run on propane. If your unit is comfy to walk in you're probably good.

No need to level your trailer using playing cards like some here insist.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:49 AM   #14
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:

Thanks!

They are forever.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
Albany , NY
Peter thank you great explanation.
01bambi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:30 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
As others have posted an absorption type fridge needs to be level.to properly work, yes it Will work off level but you do risk of the dreaded crystal formation from blocking passages in the cooling unit and.will.result.in a non functional cooling unit. Maybe get a tech to check and make sure there aren't other reasons for non operation. Do you get the same result whether you are on propane or electric. If it is the same then might.be time to.upgrade to a 12volt compressor fridge. We love our Norcold N8DC.
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #17
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I replaced the cooling unit in my 1994 Dometic propane fridge last year. The cooling unit was about $650 and the control board another $150. The control board was replaced as a precautionary measure while I was in the neighborhood working.

Took me about 4 hours total to change the cooling unit, only having help for a couple of steps along the way to move the fridge and lay it down as well as the final placement of the cooling unit onto the fridge.

All in all, if your fridge is otherwise in good condition and you determine that the cooling unit is bad you can get back to cold beer again in about 1/3-1/2 the cost of a new fridge (propane or 12v compressor.)
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I always make sure my trailer is level .. especially when the refrigerator is running. I have never had one go bad in 50 years
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Is using the fridge when not level front to back going to damage my fridge?
. . .
What does your owner's manual say about how level the fridge should be? [see attachment in Post #5]

Peter
Por Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:30 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
1994 21' Sovereign
Capitola , California
Our original 2017 FC 27’ Dometic refrigerator was getting temperamental and then stopped working altogether.
We replaced the control panel and it’s back in operation. It was surprising as our previous AS 1994 refrigerator worked for 20 years without any issues.
smattson is offline   Reply With Quote