Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2022, 09:38 AM   #21
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by N95556 View Post
I have a 2018 FC and am interested in upgrading the fridge to an all electric model.

Has anybody attempted this as a project and if so what model do have and are you happy with it?

Thanks!
Haha, I’m not sure it is an upgrade.
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:41 AM   #22
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
All depends on how you like to camp and how you're trailer is set up.

We had a 12v only fridge in our coach and loved it, but we had a huge battery bank and solar to take us through many days of dry camping without issue. In our current 25-ft
Airstream I'd never consider it. The trailer is already pushing its weight limit, so adding lots more batteries isn't an option, and there's only so much real estate on the roof for more solar.

If you do nearly all your camping plugged in then the only time you'll run it off the batteries alone will be while driving, and that will be helped a little by your charging wire from the tow vehicle. If this is the type of camping you do, then go for it.

However, if you like to spend time not plugged in or do a lot of dry camping on the way to places, then perhaps not. Would suck to want to spend a few days out on BLM land only to realize you can't without adding more batteries or solar (or both) just to keep the beer cold.
My sentiments exactly.
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #23
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I have a propane fridge and 600ah of lithium. I see no need to move off propane for the fridge - it is the most efficient appliance when boondocking. When plugged in who cares it runs off 120v.

I’ve never had an issue being level and the fridge working in 12+ years and 2 trailers.

It uses less DC energy when boondocking than a compressor fridge.

It is highly reliable.

It uses < 1 amp DC.

It is plenty large at 8cf (I have a 30’ international)

It runs fine when I am driving.

Once it’s cold it stays cold.

Etc…

There are plenty of other upgrades I’d make before dropping $1500 on a new fridge that draws more energy from my lithium bank.
Exactly, we Boondock, we dry camp mostly, we're on 110 occasionally.
Some cold, mostly warm to hot days.
My absorption unit has never blinked.
Going on five years now
Lynn
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:22 AM   #24

2018 Basecamp
Plano , Texas
I replaced propane in my basecamp with a truckfridge tf130 made by indel also sold as isotherm for marine/ boats. It uses a danafoss compressor low power 12 volt or ac. Same type compressor used in nova cool but usually costs less. Works great. I have an older smaller truckfridge that sits in the back of my pickup crew cab.
LTCAJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Winter garden , Florida
Furrion artic

I have a 2004 Safari 25 foot that we have completely renovated. I have 500 amp hours of lithium and 600 W of solar. We love this machine. It uses about 40 amp hours a day in average weather. We get much more than that from solar even on a cloudy day. We love the size of refrigerator. Our old one was vintage 2004 and was looking a bit tired but still worked fine. We had constant problems with stuff in the back of the fridge freezing and it took forever to cool when started. The freezer was tiny.

I did have to raise the cabinet “ceiling“ about 10 inches. This was actually very easy and required minimal woodwork. And I just cut the door above it in half. All the other dimensions were exactly the same.

I was never comfortable with the heat and the fact of flame going in the back of the refrigerator. I know it’s an ancient technology but an open flame just bothered me. It definitely added some heat inside even though it was vented properly.

It’s really great to have a nice new efficient machine.. if you have not upgraded to lithium and added a few solar panels iI think you are “missing out “. But I love gadgets! No regrets after 3 years!
Johncapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
agree

Already lost the 6 gallon gas electric water heater with the new 2021. If the electric fridge works as great as that tankless water heater no thanks! Unless Airstream installs 200 Amps of Lithium 400 of Solar and at least a pass through 2000 watt inverter std.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
That seems to be the new fad in trailers.
But it requires you to have 12 v all the time.
Thus solar is usually first, then big lithium batteries.
My gas/electric fridge works great. I see no reason to swap at this time.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:04 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
I got tired of replacing control boards(dinosaur boards don't make one for my model). Put in a 7cf everchill: works great! I boonbock most of the time- 225 amps agm,600 watts panels. No problem. I also have a generator for no sun/snow. Kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Absorption & Compressor combo

We chose a hybrid solution for both dry or full hookup situations. Keeping the newer factory Dometic absorption for the low power long stay boondocking AND bought a separate portable compressor 12vdc/24v/120 cooler/fridge (Bizzard Box by S-Type via Costco). Many other like brands out there. The efficient Danfoss brand compressor cooler allows optional fridge or freezer settings. At 78F, pulls avg less than 1 amp (4,5amp on, 20ma at rest. 5:1 off to on ratio common and VERY quiet). Slips under our dinette for easy access or can transfer to the truck or truck bed (but why?). Can transfer cooler food to Rig fridge and reverse if environment demands/food levels deplete. Unplugged if food storage need dwindles.. Best of both worlds for us. Think of it as the portable garage fridge / freezer. 🥶☃️🍺🍦🧤🍣
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #29
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantair View Post
We chose a hybrid solution for both dry or full hookup situations. Keeping the newer factory Dometic absorption for the low power long stay boondocking AND bought a separate portable compressor 12vdc/24v/120 cooler/fridge (Bizzard Box by S-Type via Costco). Many other like brands out there. The efficient Danfoss brand compressor cooler allows optional fridge or freezer settings. At 78F, pulls avg less than 1 amp (4,5amp on, 20ma at rest. 5:1 off to on ratio common and VERY quiet). Slips under our dinette for easy access or can transfer to the truck or truck bed (but why?). Can transfer cooler food to Rig fridge and reverse if environment demands/food levels deplete. Unplugged if food storage need dwindles.. Best of both worlds for us. Think of it as the portable garage fridge / freezer. 🥶☃️🍺🍦🧤🍣
This is a great idea, especially when you are camping for a while in a place where the nearest grocery store is a long drive away in the summer heat. Just take it with you in the TV for the trip to resupply.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:56 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
I question your use of the word "upgrade."

This is at least a bit tongue in cheek. At some point, they will all be electric and while to see the advantages, I have no need to be an early adopter on this one. There is some compressor noise, isn't there?
We just took ownership of a 2022 and it has the 12v fridge. Very quiet - almost have to open the door to see if it is running.
ricjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:49 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by B17drvr View Post
Do the JC Refrigeration mod. Will convert it to very low power draw compressor.
https://jc-refrigeration.com
Can you be more specific?

There are tons of things on the site......link it up?

Thanks.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:42 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Can you be more specific?

There are tons of things on the site......link it up?

Thanks.
Was going to ask the same thing. I can't tell from that site whether or not there is a conversion kit for my RM3762LBX.
starkruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:51 PM   #33
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
When we were removing the old 1/2” plywood with the fake honey oak contact paper there it was: melted, black contact paper next to the absorption pipes up high. This was a 2003 Dometic in a 1985 AS so obviously replaced and just shoved into the old space. Temporary fix was an empty Fosters beer can cut open to hold 3000 degree ceramic insulation then high temp taped into place.

We ordered the 12 volt bottom freezer NorCold: unit came with broken interior parts wrapped in a “Chewey” box with the PO’s address on it (was sold to us as “new” for $1800). That went back to local RV parts store. We are now upgrading to the “iio-kitchen” “fun fridge” with aftermarket Weber stainless steel bbq grates for shelves (lowest shelf is a modified cutting board over veggie bins). New portable solar panels, two LiFePO4 batteries etc etc etc. wish us luck…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E44B699-6490-496C-BA7C-A76364E9D7E2.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	419065  

Tags
12v