Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2022, 03:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
No , New Jersey
Turning off Nova kool fridge on 2022 23fb

Hey all. New international owner here. We just took our first trip and had a great time. Now with the airstream back in storage, I can’t seem to figure out how to turn off the nova kool refrigerator, without killing the 12v disconnect. The manual says to remove the fuse. Is that the only way?

Use case here is that I want certain 12v appliances to stay on for IoT purposes. I’ve got 400W solar on a 400Ah bank so expect I can handle the IoT loads, just not that of the fridge

Thanks!
supziez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Not sure if you have the same fridge I had. There is a knob in the upper left of the fridge to control temperature. You shut the fridge off by setting that knob to zero. That turns the compressor off. It does not kill the power to the light bulb. So if you like to leave the door open for the fridge to defrost and the moisture to evaporate you have to either pull the fuse, or in my case I took a piece of wire and made little clip that would slip over the door light switch and keep it depressed.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Aurora , Colorado
Just call Nova Kool, they have the best customer service I have ever dealt with, web address is novakool@novakool.com The customer service phone number is on that web page.
starfishscub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfishscub View Post
Just call Nova Kool, they have the best customer service I have ever dealt with, web address is novakool@novakool.com The customer service phone number is on that web page.
+1 on that. I sent them an email last year and received a call back within an hour. Even though my fridge was not under warranty (being I'm not the original owner), they spent as much time as needed with me on the phone, and even sent me some replacement parts to try out. Was very impressed with them. Dometic and other suppliers could learn something from them.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
No , New Jersey
Thanks -- have sent them an email both to novakool@novakool.com and support@novakool.com. Will post back to the thread with the response. Appreciate the suggestions
Old 04-06-2022, 07:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
No , New Jersey
Heard back from Nova Kool with the following good news:

Quote:
If you would like the unit to completely shut down without going to the back of the unit there is a way.

All you will need to do is turn the thermostat all the way down to 0. But you will need to keep the keep the door open so that there is no mold build up inside the unit. By opening the door the light will be on. There is no switch to completely turn off the light. What you will need to do is to is when the door is open just use a piece of tape and find that switch that turns off the light when the door is closed. A piece of tape would work on the light switch while the door is a little bit open. To keep the door slightly open you will just need to turn the thumb latch to the inside when the door is completely open. And when you try to close the door the thumb latch will be there to block its way leaving a slight opening.