Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Ahem, yasss ...kaff-kaff

1969 27' Overlander
Bloomington , Indiana
Transporting fridge on side?

I may have found a Dometic fridge to replace the dorm fridge that's in Betty, my 69 Overlander. It's a ways off and I'd rather take my fuel efficient car rather than the truck but wouldn't be able to transport it upright. I know the story about the gas escaping from electric fridges transported this way is not true, but I wonder about ammonia fridges?

Thanks,

egad!
egad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
No problem on RV type refrigerators either, but you should leave it upright for a few hours prior to starting it after transportation on it's side. That is true with both types of refrigerators, compressor or Ammonia ones.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
While i think I would prefer to move one upright I would guess it would not hurt it other than the possibility of some loose scale ending up in an orfice.

One of the tricks to revive a dead RV fridge is to turn it upside down overnight.
Possibly this can dislodge debris plugging it up.
Some claim it does not work but the one I did it to ran another 14 years before I sold it.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Ahem, yasss ...kaff-kaff

1969 27' Overlander
Bloomington , Indiana
Update and possible cooling fix

I got the fridge last week and after cleaning it up, I got it installed and working....sort of. I had what seems to be the typical problem of the freezer getting cold, but not the fridge...best it could do was 50 degrees. So I debated about removing and turning it upside down, or cleaning the burner orifice. Since it seemed to be much easier, of course I chose to clean the orifice. But lo! When I removed the burner assembly, the baffle came out of the bottom of the tube. I didn't think this was right so I found a diagram http://www.coxontool.com/documents/a...ionsForUse.pdf that showed the baffle suspended by a wire from the tube. Apparently it had come loose when I put the unit on its side. And from the fact that it just hangs there, I wonder if cooling issues others have had might be from this same problem. A bumpy road, worn axles, rough RR track might be enough to jar it loose and compromise the flame.

I did clean the orifice so I'm not 100% sure the baffle was the problem but this morning after about 12 hrs of operation the freezer was 10 and the fridge was 30. I had the temp setting on 6 so I've turned it down to 3 which hopefully will keep the beer cold but not frozen!

Egad!
egad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My new cooling unit was shipped last year with no "this side up" indicators and I'm sure it was transported every which way. No problems.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote