Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Thermostat on fridge.

The fridge on my 74 Overlander works, but it keeps working and working and working until everything in top and bottom are froze solid. And also there will be a big hunk of ice at the top front of freezer.

Can I replace the thermostat? And how hard of a job is it???

Thanks for help, Scotty
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I don't know about your model specifically but, in my case (1987 dometic gas/elec), the thermostat is not functioning on elec. It will lower the temperature to 25degrees. I took it to camping world and they told me that the older models had a thermo for gas and one for elec. The cost was going to be $175 + 75 to install. Needless to say, it is cheaper to use it on gas and only use the elec the night before a trip and then switch to gas.

I hope this helps.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
I never run my fridge on gas. I have it on a deer lease right now and we have electrical hookups. And we've only taken it to a park once and they had electricity. But I would like to be able to leave something in fridge for a couple of weeks or so when it's at deer lease. The fee is only $5.00 a week. So I keep it hooked up.
Anyway the gas controls at bottom are froze up. If I can't replace thermostat I guess I'll buy electric model and try to install . Maybe it will look halfway descent.

Thanks, Scotty
Old 11-19-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Can't help with the original question, but have some observations and a question of my own...
Our three way dometic has two little temperature setting knobs.... one labeld gas, the other labeled elec These knobs have numbers on them from 0 to (I believe), 9
If the older dometics don't have dual thermastats, how does it happen to have two temperature controls?
And would someone refresh my memory for me? Isn't it the higher the number, the colder the fridge? Or is it vice versa? LOL!!
'Cause I forget and then freeze things not meant to be frozen!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 11-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
I'm not sure how many knobs it has. It is at deer lease so I won't see for a couple of days. Of the knobs that are not froze up, I've tried them on all numbers 0 - 9, and every combination. I would leave on each setting for a couple of days to see if anything changed or temp rose or fell. Well each time it just froze everything. So I don't really know how many thermostats it has. I'll just have to get a model number off the fridge. Then I can post it or call somebody at R.V. shop. Or I guess I can call Airstream direct.
Looks like it might be a booger to change thermostats or thermocouple. So maybe I'll just replace with elect. unit. I like the idea of restoring it and all. But right now I just want a fridge that works. Actually that's the only thing on it that doesn't work. Even the lights and all guages on tank level indicators in cabinet work. I think the 8 - track tape player that folds out beside couch works but I can't find a tape to try.

Thanks for help, Scotty
Old 11-20-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww11
I'm not sure how many knobs it has. It is at deer lease so I won't see for a couple of days.,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll just have to get a model number off the fridge. Then I can post it or call somebody at R.V. shop. Or I guess I can call Airstream direct.
If you can post the model here it would be helpfull, also if you have a digital camera available take lots and lots of pics showing every imaginable feature, and post them so everyone can see. I suspect that you may regret changing to an electric unit at some point so I am going to recomend you resist doing that at least untill you have more information about the current refer.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
You're right, I probably would regret it. I'll be at deer lease this week so I'll take some pics and post them. Also I'll get numbers. I'm really getting into this whole Airstream thing. Everything on inside works pretty good except fridge so when I get that fixed I can't wait to start polishing it. I love how they look when polished.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
And would someone refresh my memory for me? Isn't it the higher the number, the colder the fridge? Or is it vice versa? LOL!!
'Cause I forget and then freeze things not meant to be frozen!

Elizabeth in Iowa
We still have the original Dometic in our '75 Excella 500. For both Gas and electric, the higher the number the colder the fridge gets. I've made the mistake of leaving it on 7 or Max and within 1-2 days, everything in the fridge is frozen just like those items in the freezer. As for this thread, I can handle things cooling too much since that is manageable, but having a fridge that doesn't work at all makes momma unhappy.

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote