Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We had something like that fan in our B190 - which had no roof vent, only side vents, so it needed every little bit of help it could get. The fan was mounted above the fridge coils somehow, but I don't remember how. I bypassed the thermal switches in favor of just controlling it manually with a switch inside the camper (lighted so I knew when it was on). Between doing that and replacing the door gasket, the fridge worked reasonably well.

Even as much as I struggled with that fridge in hot weather when I first got it, I never saw it get as warm as that did, though. I want to say the warmest I ever saw mine get, on a bad day with a leaking gasket, was around 50 in the fridge compartment. So, I don't think you're dealing with simple overload (unless they had the door open a lot) - I think something is wrong in their setup.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Extra Cooling Boost for HOT Days
SeeMore

Now that is a first class installation, and I agree that this is the best place to mount the fans. I wish that I had seen this thread before I installed the new fridge in my Tradewind. I would have copied your design. However, removing the fridge is such a pia I will mount the fans at the inlet to the fridge vent plenum.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
The design of the refrigerator is tasked by high temperature to cool more than 40 degrees from ambient. The freezer may still reach zero while the main cabinet struggles to maintain the forties. A temperature above 50 means something is definitely wrong. The cause can only be revealed by stepping through a diagnostic sequence to pin point the issue they had/have.

We have spent many days in "extreme" heat during our travels and experienced worrisome frig temps which caused me to experiment with various solutions to moving more air. My best solution to date, modifing my Dometic unit by adding four small (2" x 2") computer disk drive fans on a simple aluminum box frame mounted below the the cooling fins at the top of the cabinet back. They draw ~0.2 amps each, are undetectable running, and are wired to a thermocouple switch on the topmost section of the vertical pipe just before the bend downward. They move enough air to maintain 41° or below when the temperature outside reaches 100 depending on the amount and angle of the sun on the trailer.

I use four of this style fan (covering the full length of the fins) mounted approximately 1/2" below the condenser fins for a concentrated, targeted air flow avoiding the need for a shroud or the bigger boost fans so many RV sites promote:

Vantec Stealth 80mm Double Ball Bearing Silent Case Fan - Model SF8025L - Newegg.com
SeeMore

My compliments on your first class design and fabrication.

Have you tested the improvement in fridge performance that the fans make? Ie. How much of a drop is there in fridge temperature when you turn the fans on?

Thanks, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote