Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Striker Rod for '66 Overlander

Hi All,
I'm on the hunt for a striker rod for my refridgerator pilot. I have a spot for one, the manual says I should have one, BUT the slot is empty. This means I have to light my fridg. from the outside with someone holding the red button from the inside .
Does anyone have any idea where I might locate one of these?

Thanks Bunches,

Robin out
Old 05-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I am guessing that you have a Dometic Fridge. If you tell the model , someone may be able to help you.
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Robin, I will have to check my garage, I may have one for your fridge.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
One man job

You do not need someone inside to hold down the red button. Simply look at the control valve one time when someone pushes the button. It is a simple linkage that pushes up on a button on the control valve on the outside. You use one hand to hold up the button on the control valve while using a barbaque lighter to light the pilot. Then move down the trailer and light the water heater at the same time. Does not take longer than going inside to use the original spark lighter.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Striker rod

Hi,
Dbaur ( Scholar ,gentleman, & airstream forum member) sent me the following:
Product #9283131 Dometic refrigerator striker rod & gas control valve thermostat, that he had removed from a Dometic frig in a 69 Globetrotter. It won't work on my refrig that is also missing the striker rod. My striker rod would fit in the interior of the frig & only be about 6 inches long. The one he sent is about 2 feet & looks like it would mount outside the box. The unit has a plate the themostat knob, pilot lite push button & striker are attached to. I can send a pic if need be. Does this sound like what you are looking for?
Barkingdogg
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Striker Rod

Hi Guy,
Yes, this sounds like what I am looking for, at least the length sounds right.
Would you be willing to part with it and if so for how much?
I appreciate the info. on how to complete a one-person light from outside, but I'd prefer to not have to do that (wind is an issue).
Let me know?

Robin out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdogg
Hi,
Dbaur ( Scholar ,gentleman, & airstream forum member) sent me the following:
Product #9283131 Dometic refrigerator striker rod & gas control valve thermostat, that he had removed from a Dometic frig in a 69 Globetrotter. It won't work on my refrig that is also missing the striker rod. My striker rod would fit in the interior of the frig & only be about 6 inches long. The one he sent is about 2 feet & looks like it would mount outside the box. The unit has a plate the themostat knob, pilot lite push button & striker are attached to. I can send a pic if need be. Does this sound like what you are looking for?
Barkingdogg
Old 05-21-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Striker Rod for '66 Overlander

HI,
Dave Baur sent it to me at no charge & I'll do the same. Just let me know where to send it. If you can't use it pass it on.
Barkingdogg
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote