Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
salvaging refer from abandoned SOB

There is an abandoned trailer on the property here where I'm working. Per the property owners, it's been there over 10 yrs (liscense plates last tag shows 1978). There is a nice sized (2/3 way) refer inside that looks to be in good shape - though the trailer overall is HORRIBLE. Pack rat infested and disgusting.

Wondering where to start on salvaging it.... I'm guessing I should first make sure it even works. Propane tanks have been removed - and the lines are likely leaky. What would you do? Remove it from the trailer (how?) or try to jerry-rig it to test in place? I do have a generator that I could probably drag down there - but not sure what that will prove...

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I wouldn't even bother with it...

But, if you do want to test it, pull it out of the cabinet so you can inspect the rear of it before trying to start it. When we pulled the old refer out of our '72, the chimney and other plumbing lines on the rear of it were all totally packed with fiberglass insulation by the mice that had been living in the trailer over the years. That's not something you could easily see from the rear access door behind the fridge, if there even is one. You would want to make sure it was all fairly clear of debris before trying to start it to see if it works.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would just remove it and test it where you are more comfortable, with tools, power, propane. Some of the SOB refrigerators are pretty easy to get out vs. AS refers which can be pretty well locked in place.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks for the ideas. I'll take a walk and check it out more closely. That is, if I can get there through the mud. Gad - what a mess when the snow melts.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Probably easiest to test it on electric if you can get power out there. Remember it will take up to 2 hours for it to start to cool. Most of the older ones don't require 12v to run on electric, just 120v.