Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
rm 3807 refer

Hey guys we went out to the as and smelled a strange smell, opened the refrigerator to find warm food and ammonia smell, anyone have this we shut it off, cleaned it out and left the windows and doors of the camper open to ventilate and opened the freezer and frig doors placed a towel there, what next do you think its a coil leak, do they fix these its not the orig for our 1994 we just got our as this summer and we are indeed newbies, any help appreciated, john & julie
runningbarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
You fridge has suffered a cooling unit failure. These can be repaired and often are very successful. Prices vary widely and can run about 1/3 less than the cost of a new complete refrigerator. A new Dometic fridge, would have at least a 2 year warranty. A cooling unit would have a lesser warranty.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Probably is the original fridge. Mine is a 94 and I have the same model fridge in mine.
I think a place called Palamino sell parts cheap.
Check them out. I don't think they are that far from you so shipping shouldn't be too much.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
yup cooling unit failure good thing you didnt get to big of a wiff its ammonia. Some people say replace the cooling unit others say it isnt worth it buy the frige. look at all costs, PS I always check the tubes and use rust converter on them to keep the rust to a minimum. mine was replaced in 1984 and is due but hope this process hass prolonged its life.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
yup cooling unit failure good thing you didnt get to big of a wiff its ammonia. Some people say replace the cooling unit others say it isnt worth it buy the frige. look at all costs, PS I always check the tubes and use rust converter on them to keep the rust to a minimum. mine was replaced in 1984 and is due but hope this process hass prolonged its life.
mustang,

I hate to spoil your party....but these types of failures generally happen from the inside out!!! The ammonia used in a gas/absorbtion refrigerator is highly corrosive, which is why the anti-corrosive 'sodium chromate' is added to the mix. You can see it's persence when you have a cooling unit leak and see the yellow powder at the leak point.....this is the sodium chromate.

Cooling units are easily replaced if your interior box is still in good shape. Also keep in mind that the door gaskets deteriorate over time, and are a general 'PIA' to replace and should be taken into account when considering a new unit.

Some cooling unit replacements carry a 2 year warranty...others just 6 months. A new, complete Dometic refer has a 3 year warranty 2 years parts/labor and the 3rd year parts only.

Something to consider..............
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
John,
If you do replace the whole fridge I may want a few interior parts from the old one.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
reefer

Big Al,
Julie and I went out to the AS last night and pulled the fridge out. I am going to take the cooling unit off today. I really hope it will be a unit fix and that no other damage has occurred. If I scrap the unit I will be in touch.
runningbarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
I’m planning to buy new aluminum propane tanks for my 65 Caravel and I need some help on deciding whether to use 20lb. or 30lb. tanks. I intend to boondock more often than hookup and would use only the standard propane devices; water heater, fridge, stove, heater. I have no idea how long you can boondock in the desert with 2 – 20lb. tanks but I would like to be able to stay a maximum of 7 days.
Also, is the weight on the tongue that big of a difference between 2 - 20lb vs. 2 – 30lb. tanks? The spare tire will be riding on the tongue and I do have an equalizer hitch.
And finally, does anyone have an opinion on the aesthetics of two large tanks on a small trailer or two small tanks on a small trailer?
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Sorry, previous message posted in the wrong thread.
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote