Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #21
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
Roof vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
The fan if fitted on a trailer will always run on a hot day ( 75+ degrees ), it doesn’t move a lot of air but keeps it moving over the condenser coils
Makes a difference on our 2014 Bambi with side vents. Never seemed to need it on my 96 Excella even in 105 deg weather in Doswell Va
JCW
Finishing the renovation of a 1970 Tradewind. The “original design” frig vent included a 9” x 9” hole in plywood floor below the frig. The roof vent w rain cap is approximately 4” x 14”. Clear path for air flow was definitely provided.
Installed a Dometic 7 cubic foot frig with fan (thermostat control). Fan runs a lot. Either 110 volt or gas operated - outside Temperature above 75 degrees will trigger the fan. I Thought the chimney effect would be more than adequate. Maybe the larger refrigerator is a part of the equation. Was hoping advancement in 50 years evolution of refrigeration technology would have helped.
G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Second Fan

Airstream factory service on our 2019 25 pulled the refrigerator out installed a second fan up top to help pull the heat up. Make sure you have it switched so you can turn it on or off off. Not needed under 80 degrees and low humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETroup View Post
The aluminum rain cap is riveted on and extensively sealed. Will be a bit of a job to remove and replace.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2207.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	395370

Haven’t had time to pull my refer out and install a fan up high to increase air flow out the top. On the 2021 project list…. Had a pretty powerful 12 v fan laying around in the garage though, so I quickly installed it in the lower compartment blowing upwards. Noticeable difference in cooling—setting can be set at least 1 number lower. Not totally scientific but climbed up and placed my hand near the vent and definitely feel more exhaust flow.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
As stated, make sure the draft path behind the cabinet is completely clear of obstacles. My refer did not come with a fan, but I added two, it makes big difference on overall cooling and efficiency. The computer fans use very little DC power.
guskmg

Amen, computer fans very inexpensive, the bigger the better. I had to have the cooling unit on the back of my fridge replaced/rebuilt and the tech who did it onsite where I was staying told me to put the fans at the top of the fridge vent flue (next to the center A/C). I wired a basic switch into the 12V DC fridge connection for the fans and fed a wire to supply power to the fans and attached the fans to the screen at the top after drilling out the rivets and reattached the rain cap with sheet metal screws and bit of sealant. PHX gets very warm and fridge operation is improved for not much $$.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #25
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
Refrigerator vent and heat dissipation

Thanks everyone for input. I have fabricated a metal bracket / shroud to hold two 120 mm computer fans with a simple on / off toggle. Here is a picture of the complete assembly ready for installation. Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Load vs Pressure Analysis Airstream 27FB.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	396424
ETroup is offline   Reply With Quote