Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Question Refrigerator roof vent?

Are refrigerator roof vents absolutely necessary? Or can they be avoided by installing large access doors with plenty of louvers for venting?
I think that if at all possible, this would eliminate roof leaks and problems up on the roof. Seems to me, I have seen some RV's without roof vents.
Thanks in advance,
Ernie
"58 Traveler 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlanco
Are refrigerator roof vents absolutely necessary? Or can they be avoided by installing large access doors with plenty of louvers for venting?
I think that if at all possible, this would eliminate roof leaks and problems up on the roof. Seems to me, I have seen some RV's without roof vents.
Thanks in advance,
Ernie
"58 Traveler 18ft.
The taller the stack, the better the refrigerator cools. I have never heard of any roof leaks around the Airstream refrigerator vent; they occur much more frequently around the vent stacks for the plumbing where the penetrate the roof.

Many units with side louvers have a fan to aid in airflow. My experience with 2 trailers with side vents make me happy that mine has a roof vent.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I agree with John, though many trailers use side vents only, including recent Bambis. The Bambi's come with a fan to move air, a friend of our's removed the fan in his '03 & put 2 computer-type fans in for more flow (CFM's) & quiter operation. He also added a 'restrictor plate/bar' to increase air-flow over the coils & not just through the compartment.

Our 25' Safari has the roof vent with no fan & it has done great this summer in Texas.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Thanks to Pahaska and RivetEd;
I guess I'l go with the roof vent. That will eliminate having to get a fan and wiring and something else drawing amps when your'e boon docking. Thanks again.
Ernie
'58 Traveler 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote