Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Seguin , Texas
Refrigerator repair or replace?

We recently purchased a 1991 B190 knowing the fridge does not work. A local shop suggested we replace the cooling unit and we told him to go ahead with the work. The first cooling unit he received from the supply house was defective and we are now waiting for a second cooling unit. In the mean time, I have read that we may be money ahead replacing the entire fridge. I can purchase a Dometic 2351 2-way fridge for less than what the technician will charge to replace the cooling unit. If I decide to replace the fridge myself, how much trouble will I get into and will I have to modify any vents? What "cautions" are recommended when replacing the fridge?
DGBMLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums. We went through the same thing with a fridge we got. It had a bad cooling unit, and the place we got it from replaced the cooling unit--3 times. I finally gave up, and got a brand new ridge, installed it, and have had no further problems. I would suggest a new fridge, unless you want to practice taking your fridge out for a walk every couple of months.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
New fridge, the Dometic is great! We had one re-built that failed in two months. Remember to defrost.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBMLB View Post
We recently purchased a 1991 B190 knowing the fridge does not work. A local shop suggested we replace the cooling unit and we told him to go ahead with the work. The first cooling unit he received from the supply house was defective and we are now waiting for a second cooling unit. In the mean time, I have read that we may be money ahead replacing the entire fridge. I can purchase a Dometic 2351 2-way fridge for less than what the technician will charge to replace the cooling unit. If I decide to replace the fridge myself, how much trouble will I get into and will I have to modify any vents? What "cautions" are recommended when replacing the fridge?
One VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember: you get a 3 year warranty with a new Dometic fridge......and usually 90 days with a replaced cooling unit. The icing on the cake is that you can get a new unit for less than the repair.....

The answer should be obvious at this point!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Its still blurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
... The answer should be obvious at this point!
The problem I will face when my 41 year-old refrgierator makes it's last ice cubes is a replacement that will fill the space available without substantial modification.

A little bit smaller is one thing since we don't full-time. But major mods which upset the original look bother me.

My post is probably moot, though, since I am told no one rebuilds my original unit anymore.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Seguin , Texas
Thanks to everyone who replied! I will try to buy a new fridge. Will a new fridge require a professional to install it, or can I do it myself?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who replied! I will try to buy a new fridge. Will a new fridge require a professional to install it, or can I do it myself?
With gas & power, I'd let the big dogs do the change-out & I mean the
really good big dogs, Dometic has black door panels that look neat in the AS.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
The AC/DC connections are probably there already....usually no biggie! 2 wires for the DC and just a plug-in for the 120VAC. LP is another story. If you are not familiar with LP installations, leak detection and proper connections of flair fittings, then by all means......have a qualified shop do the job. Hopefully, they have at least one person with a state LP certification
Old 07-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Seguin , Texas
I appreciate all the quick responses and advice. Be "talking" to you later.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Where did you buy the 2351 Dometic?
911rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
orange Park , Florida
Lewster,

I have heard that if a fridge sits awhile it could quit working and be presumed bad. I was told the fridges are filled amonia instead of freon, and that the amonia will settle in the bottom. I was told that you can unplug and pull fridge out, flip fridge over on top and let sit 24 hours. Then flip back over and let sit 2-3 hours and reconnect. It should work after that, heard anything on that procedure?
69AmbassFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
go to the search tab and google search burping. there is plenty to read.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69AmbassFl View Post
Lewster,

I have heard that if a fridge sits awhile it could quit working and be presumed bad. I was told the fridges are filled amonia instead of freon, and that the amonia will settle in the bottom. I was told that you can unplug and pull fridge out, flip fridge over on top and let sit 24 hours. Then flip back over and let sit 2-3 hours and reconnect. It should work after that, heard anything on that procedure?
You are partially correct. RV fridges are filled with mixture if ammonia, hydrogen and sodium chromate (an anti-corrosive). It is highly unlikely that the components 'separate' in the static phase of sitting around, but there have been reports of successful 'burping' episodes)...........

If you would like to 'burp' your unit, you can remove it from it's position after disconnecting it from the AC/DC/LP and turn it on each side and top for 15 minutes, then stand it upright and rock it on each of the 4 corners tilted to 45* for 1 minute each....then re-install it. This will definitely clear any potential settling problems you may have!

Keep us posted on your results.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I know this is an old thread but I just tried this prior to giving up on our fridge.

It worked!

Thanks for the great advice!

You saved us a lot of $$$

Mikal
gronlampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
Would driving on a bumpy road do the same thing?? Just a thought.
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmclean
Would driving on a bumpy road do the same thing?? Just a thought.
I imagine it's possible but it would be unlikely to "shift" everything in the same way.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
after messing with RM100 in 78 AS, buying reman'ed RM2804 from clip joint in Arkansas, I bit the bullet and bought a new RM2820.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has evaporated.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The quality of the new ones doesn't seem to be one iota different than those of the past, from posts I have read. The only difference I see is time.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
The quality of the new ones doesn't seem to be one iota different than those of the past, from posts I have read. The only difference I see is time.
My burped model (although in need of a good cleaning) is still running strong.

I am curious to know how many others have tried the same thing with success.

Would you know of there are replacement panels for the fake wood grain sheets?

I imagine one could cut a sheet of aluminum or stainless but I figured I would pass it by the forum before reinventing the wheel.