Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
Refrigerator not cooling in 2019 Classic

In early 2019 I purchased a brand new 2019 Airstream Classic that came with a Dometic refrigerator. 2 days ago we took the Airstream from storage for a short camping trip (this would be only the 6th time we've used it). Unfortunately, the refrigerator is not cooling. I have tried it on electric and propane. Neither cools. I have checked the forum threads for suggested fixes and confirmed that the fuses are good and there is a flame when on propane. I also moved the thermistor up on the coil inside the refrigerator and, again, no cooling. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions on what might be wrong. Fortunately, I already have an appointment in September at the Airstream Factory to have other warranty items fixed and have added "replace refrigerator" to the list.
dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Refrigerator not cooling in 2019 Classic

Our temp set is on 3 and auto. I assume your gas is open (as you have flame on propane) and you’re connected to shore power? How long did you let the fridge sit before you knew it wasn’t working? Is the trailer level? Is the fridge not cooling at all or just not getting down to a safe temperature?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Bon Air , Virginia
Do you feel any cooling happening in the freezer?
I will tell you that the refrigerator in our unit can take (up to) 24 hours to cool fully. As such, we will normally start it a full day before we leave (where possible) and pre-chill any items going in it. I ask about the freezer because after an hour or so it is, at least, cool to the touch inside and is evidence it has begun to work. Outside ambient temperatures also have an impact.

Good luck!
Brenton
Brentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
It is not cooling at all. We alternated between propane and electric (shore power) over the course of 48 hours to see if it would cool before calling Airstream. At first I thought it might be an issue with the trailer not being level even though we've never had a problem getting it to work when parked in exactly the same spot on the street in front of our home. Nonetheless, we drove to the campground and parked on a perfectly level spot for 24 hours . . . still no cooling whatsoever.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:57 PM   #5

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Upland , California
I own a 2017 FC with a Dometic Fridge/freezer. I have had the same problem with mine. I started 3 days before launch date to get the unit nice and cold And with a freezing freezer. It just didnt happen. I ended up stuffing the freezer with frozen blue ice bricks and the same was done to the fridge under its fins. The thermistor was in the correct place between the fins. It took overnight to get the freezer frozen and it seemed to stay that way on my 5 day trip. The fridge could not stay in a safe temp range. I had to keep rotating the ice bricks. I’ve got a date with an outfit to check it out soon. UGH
Ltlwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltlwing View Post
I own a 2017 FC with a Dometic Fridge/freezer. I have had the same problem with mine. I started 3 days before launch date to get the unit nice and cold And with a freezing freezer. It just didnt happen. I ended up stuffing the freezer with frozen blue ice bricks and the same was done to the fridge under its fins. The thermistor was in the correct place between the fins. It took overnight to get the freezer frozen and it seemed to stay that way on my 5 day trip. The fridge could not stay in a safe temp range. I had to keep rotating the ice bricks. I’ve got a date with an outfit to check it out soon. UGH
Your info doesn't show if your FC 25' is a rear or front bedroom. If you have the RBR floorplan your refer will be 'side' vented. If so search this forum for mods to this set-up. Additional fans are pretty much the go-to solution.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
You'll need to record the serial/model number of the fridge and call Dometic, the phone numbers are on the front of the Dometic info pamphlet in your owner's info packet. They will give you the name of your nearest certified Dometic service rep.

My Dometic fridge died on the first day of a 7-day camping trip which was only our third trip with the new 2020 Globetrotter. The first two of which were very short local 3-day trips. So, on the 7th day of camping the fridge died. We had a very strong smell of ammonia, which is what is used for coolant. I ended up buying a small fridge at Walmart to try to save our food. When I got in for inspection, which took another week after we returned from our trip, I was told, "yup, the fridge is dead, called Dometic, they're going to replace it under warranty." I asked when I could expect that to happen and was told, "Probably sometime in mid-to-late September because there is such a demand for RVs right now, Dometic is having a hard time keeping up with demand for new units, let alone demand for warranty work." Also, I'm not entirely excited about having my fridge removed/replaced in a brand new unit . . . I haven't had the opportunity to damage the coachwork myself yet.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Have you opened the outside fridge hatch and looked at backside of unit for fluids and stains?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I would move the thermistor down on the fins - away from the freezer.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Have you opened the outside fridge hatch and looked at backside of unit for fluids and stains?
Yes, I opened up the outside hatch. There are no fluids, stains or smells.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I would move the thermistor down on the fins - away from the freezer.

Pat
I've tried moving the thermistor up and moving it down and it made no difference. Still not cooling.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It should still be under warranty. I suspect they'll repair rather than replace.

But since this isn't really an Airstream problem per se, you could take it elsewhere and get warranty repair done there.

Lynn